Vmware workstation lab setup pinging issue

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I have setup practice lab on two physical pcs running Windows 10 enterprise 64bit.

System 1 PC has 18gb ram and vmware workstation 14 installed with one physical ethernet nic connection.

Inside vmware workstation following vms are installed:

a) esxi 6.0
ip 192.168.1.111

b) win server 2k12 AD
ip 192.168.1.1.100

c) win server 2k12 vcenter
ip 192.168.1.1.102

These 3 vms ping into each other perfectly.

This system physical ethernet is connected to dlink wireless router.

System 2 PC has 8gb ram and vmware workstation 14 installed with wifi connection.

Inside vmware workstation following vm is installed:

a) esxi 6.0
ip 192.168.1.1.121

This system is connected via wifi to dlink wireless router.

This vm isnt able to ping any of the above vms hosted on system 1 pc even though gateway etc is proper.

Physically both the systems are in the same network and their ips are pingable and file sharing etc is perfect between them. Except for the vm pinging not happening between the two pcs.

My physical network connectivity is in ip 192.168.1.xx range and also my vm ip too are in same ranges

Is it causing the issue to ping esxi server vm on to another physical machine? i.e System 2

Shall I shift vms to 10.xxx ip ranges??

Only issue is with this esxi server vm which isnt able to ping to the other vms. from either system 1 to 2 or vice versa.

All the settings for both esx server vms are identical like hostname, gateway, dns etc.

What did I missed?

Is it just due to the wifi connectivity?

Do I need to do any port opening etc in the windows firewall for this system 2 so it can ping successfully to vms hosted onto system 1 pc.

VMware uses three modes for connections.

1. NAT
2. Bridged
3. Host Only

Which mode are you using - Also using VMware Network editor, you can create a custom network adapter. It is possible to ping a machine even though it maybe on a seperate subnet [Which is topic for later discussion if it ever comes to that].

If you have an account with VMware - Create one by going to my.vmware.com / Its easy to post in communities.vmware.com.

All connections are default natted and on same ip address ranges and subnets.
The only issue is with the esxi being on another physical machine inside vmworkstation.

Now as said both the physical machines are very well able to ping, share files etc between them. Except vms aren't able to communicate.[DOUBLEPOST=1524214034][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyways sisue seems to be resolved. Enabled bridging instead of natting.

Last edited:
Back