Vodafone robbing prepaid users is increasing

nRiTeCh

Skilled
More frustrations with vodafone growing.:mad:
This is regarding my sisters prepaid no.

This Sunday 8th mar till afternoon the bal. was Rs. 30.49.
Then sister simply checked balance and was shocked to see it was just Rs. 4.95.
She dint make any call on that day, just regular whatsapp.
Her no. is active on rate cutter pack & as well as on a data plan.

She is pretty much furious now as this is the 3rd time happened with her no.

Interestingly, I just had a chat with vodafone cc and they say "you have downloaded the content that is chargeable" this is the downloaded the content name- DNLD-DWAP_VID0025_PPU_MOB00414001.

Welcome to Vodafone Chat !
Thank you for your patience, a Vodafone Service Desk Agent is now available.
{Ranveer}Good Evening! I am Ranveer. How may I help you?
{Ronit}hi
{Ranveer}Hello! How may I assist you?
{Ronit}this is regarding my balance issue
{Ranveer}Okay
{Ronit}on 8th march sunday my bal was Rs 30.49
{Ranveer}Okay Sir
{Ronit}and immediately when i checked my bal again in the evening of the same day I was shock to see it came down to Rs 4.95
{Ranveer}Are you inquiring for the same number: 9049******?
{Ranveer}Please confirm if you are online?
{Ronit}i dint make any calls and i'm on a data pack and also on a rate cutter
{Ranveer}Are you inquiring for the same number: 9049******?
{Ronit}yes for same no
{Ronit}I request you for refund of Rs. 25.54
{Ranveer}For the privacy of your account, I need to ask you a few questions, before I proceed. May I know the Last Recharge Amount
{Ronit}This has happened previously as well. Dont know what goes wrong with vodafone.
{Ronit}It was rs 99
{Ranveer}Thank you for the infomration
{Ronit}k
{Ranveer} as check you have downloaded the content from the chargable website for the same you have been charged
{Ronit}excuse me
{Ranveer}yes Sir
{Ronit}i'm on a data plan and no matter what there isnt any such rules when on a data plan
{Ranveer}this is the downloaded the content name- DNLD-DWAP_VID0025_PPU_MOB00414001
{Ranveer}you have downloaded the content that is chargable
{Ronit}this is really weird
{Ronit}which site is it if you can name it
{Ranveer}i have given you the content name too
{Ronit}i need site name please
{Ranveer}we do not have the site name
{Ronit} i need it so that I can confirm if its really chargeable and avoid it in future
{Ranveer} you have used many site yet
{Ranveer} the visted side details we do not have
{Ranveer}i can help you with the content name
{Ronit}what m i suppposed to do with that content name???
{Ranveer}that is the details
{Ronit}i dont agree
{Ranveer} your downloaded content
{Ranveer}you need to agree Sir
{Ranveer} in mobile there add also appears, if you click on add to you get charged

What the hell??:rage:

He further stated we shouldn't click on any ad appearing on any apps or websites opened as it instantly charges us.:banghead:

Then whats the use of being on a data plan??

Is vodafone listening here???

We want refund!!

WTF Vodafone? Is the data plan for a closed group of websites. What do these guys expect are people going to do with their data plan?

Data plan has no relation to this, these charges would get deducted even if you are in WiFi.
Some websites/free apps have ads rolling with option of subscribing to a video service or something for Rs 25 for a month or something.
I have clicked on one of these ads by mistake using a free newspaper app and was charged Rs 25 on Airtel.

I just tried search using the term DNLD-DWAP on google and it seems there too many complaints against Vodafone. Vodafone is minting money from such scams

{Ranveer} as check you have downloaded the content from the chargable website for the same you have been charged
{Ronit}excuse me
{Ranveer}yes Sir
{Ronit}i'm on a data plan and no matter what there isnt any such rules when on a data plan
{Ranveer}this is the downloaded the content name- DNLD-DWAP_VID0025_PPU_MOB00414001
{Ranveer}you have downloaded the content that is chargable
{Ronit}this is really weird
{Ronit}which site is it if you can name it
{Ranveer}i have given you the content name too
{Ronit}i need site name please
{Ranveer}we do not have the site name
{Ronit} i need it so that I can confirm if its really chargeable and avoid it in future
{Ranveer} you have used many site yet
{Ranveer} the visted side details we do not have
{Ranveer}i can help you with the content name
{Ronit}what m i suppposed to do with that content name???
{Ranveer}that is the details
{Ronit}i dont agree
{Ranveer} your downloaded content
{Ranveer}you need to agree Sir
{Ranveer} in mobile there add also appears, if you click on add to you get charged
[/SPOILER]

What the hell??:rage:

He further stated we shouldn't click on any ad appearing on any apps or websites opened as it instantly charges us.:banghead:
I was told the same by an airtel guy, those wap sites get you to download things and its easier to make the mistake with a touchscreen phone.

I've yet to figure out how you automatically get opted in without any warning from these wap sites.

Some websites/free apps have ads rolling with option of subscribing to a video service or something for Rs 25 for a month or something.
I have clicked on one of these ads by mistake using a free newspaper app and was charged Rs 25 on Airtel.
Would some sort of ad blocker help in any way to blocking these sites ?

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a joint collaboration between wap sites and Vodafone. But is it legal subscribing for the said service without user consent? Should there not be "I accept" kind of thing after you click on a link? I once fought with IDEA regional manager for refund when my father accidentally clicked a link and got subscription for some useless astrology update service..

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a joint collaboration between wap sites and Vodafone.
Doubt it oe to put it another way they can't prevent it.

But is it legal subscribing for the said service without user consent?
presently a click is giving consent

Should there not be "I accept" kind of thing after you click on a link? I once fought with IDEA regional manager for refund when my father accidentally clicked a link and got subscription for some useless astrology update service..
My guess is that its a grey area. consumer law has to be updated.

meanwhile what counter measure can be used, telling people with a touchscreen not to press this or that when this or that changes isn't going to help much.

rooting is one way, uploads a hosts file and you will never see ads. This works for http but i'm not sure how wap sites operate whether they use http or something else.

Now ad filled sites have came with other scripts or what dont know...

I use adblocker and Disconnet.

Now a days whenever I access some websites, a message popups stating "Adblocker has been detected. Please deactivate it to access our site." or "We're sorry, we're unable to load a message from our sponsors. Please deactivate adblocker to access our site".
and the background is also layered so you cannot bypass that message and that message got no close button or anything.

How the hell can anybody force anyone to first view or click on their sponsors messages or download some spams virus stuff only to peek into their site?????? Ridiculous & pathetic!!:rage:

This is seriously increasing a step ahead of spamming.

Now a days whenever I access some websites, a message popups stating "Adblocker has been detected. Please deactivate it to access our site." or "We're sorry, we're unable to load a message from our sponsors. Please deactivate adblocker to access our site".
and the background is also layered so you cannot bypass that message and that message got no close button or anything.
Why not? Its their website and not a charity. You are free to not visit the website if you don't agree with their policies.

Data plan has no relation to this, these charges would get deducted even if you are in WiFi.
hmm, i think the only way to get charged is if you connect via mobile internet.

if your mobile internet is off and wifi is on, how can you get charged ?

More frustrations with vodafone growing.:mad:
This is regarding my sisters prepaid no.
You did not mention which OS your sisters phone is using. But there is a way to either block or prompt before downloading.

http://www.trishtech.com/2014/11/disable-wap-push-messages-in-android/

you want to set it to prompt in enable WAP push. assuming prompt is even an option otherwise you have disable maybe its set to enable by default and that is why a simple touch initiates the download without warning. no download = no charge.

this btw is how ringtones and other vids are sent to mobiles, there are lots of tempting ads to try them out. that you will be charged isn't mentioned.

now if vodafone starts blocking this sort of stuff then swatkats will start his hungama about discrimination and net neutrality. so vodafone can't block it. users have to be more aware that is all.

i think the mods should change the title to something more meaningful, i've seen tons of this robbing me threads all over the net which are mostly user ignorance.

Last edited:
You did not mention which OS your sisters phone is using. But there is a way to either block or prompt before downloading.

http://www.trishtech.com/2014/11/disable-wap-push-messages-in-android/

you want to set it to prompt in enable WAP push. assuming prompt is even an option otherwise you have disable maybe its set to enable by default and that is why a simple touch initiates the download without warning. no download = no charge.

this btw is how ringtones and other vids are sent to mobiles, there are lots of tempting ads to try them out. that you will be charged isn't mentioned.

now if vodafone starts blocking this sort of stuff then swatkats will start his hungama about discrimination and net neutrality. so vodafone can't block it. users have to be more aware that is all.

i think the mods should change the title to something more meaningful, i've seen tons of this robbing me threads all over the net which are mostly user ignorance.

Its a Lumia phone.
And ever since this thread started Mr Vodafone hasnt yet peeped here like he does for other threads.
So this is a clear indication how they like to treat their customers and looks like they only respond as per their CHOICE!

No need to change the title coz as mentioned such thing has happened in the past as well and is getting repeated even though we been totally aware as to where to click and what not to access.

Hi nRiTeCh,

Our apologies for your disappointment. Share your number with us using the following link, we'll have it checked and get back to you. http://bit.ly/1B6SqlP

Regards,
Vodafone India[DOUBLEPOST=1426136251][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi dennis,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please share your contact number with us in the following link and we shall arrange for a call back to discuss in a bit more details. http://bit.ly/1EBzKSL

Regards,
Vodafone India

So you have checked out the messaging app and found an option for WAP push in settings ? what options do you see...
No mate. It's very simple in lumia. No such or any complex settings. Just basic sms, mms, delivery report, and center no.

Back