Voltage and frequency conversion

vb86

Adept
Hi,

I bought a Nespresso machine and a milk frother from the US. Both run on 120v 60Hz. The machine requires 1200W and the frother requires 550W.

Now, voltage conversion shouldn't be a problem. However, since our supply has a 50Hz frequency, will I be able to use the machine at all?

Thanks..

The frequency messes with alarm clocks and stuff which calculates time based on it. If the timers in your items are calculated based on the frequency then you'll have to compensate. You can check it out by comparing with a real clock.

I am guessing the step-down converter is going to cost more than 3K. Let us know what converter you got and brand/price.

All new gadgets can normally work with 50Hz/60Hz frequency. But if the manufacturers decided to skimp on the electronics, I don't know what will happen.
If you take any branded mobile charger, all are rated to work on 50/60Hz and mention as such on their specification tag.

@pr0ing Modern electronic items usually use an RTC IC for all date time calculations. These RTC's either have an external watch crystal rated at 32.768 kHz or use an internal oscillator. So timers should work fine as these IC's work on DC and not AC.

Thanks guys!

I've attached the photos of both the appliances.

I'd also like to mention that the same appliances sold in some regions specifically mention 220-240v 50/60hz. So both frequencies are mentioned in those regions.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
If you're in Bombay then you can pick up a spare step-down transformer from my place. It works fine, but hums. I was using it with my 500w - 120v/60hz AVR, and it worked, but the humming distracted from the music.

Hi, thanks for the offer. I actually live Delhi. I may have borrowed your transformer to check if my Nespresso machine works, had I been in Bombay provided your transformer was rated around 2000 Watts.

I've called a shop - Guru Transformers in Delhi and they are quoting Rs. 4750 for 1.5KVA and Rs. 5750 for 2KVA. Thats close to what I paid for the machine. :banghead:

Hi Friend's,

My friend has gifted me an Nespresso Inissia machine, Hungary made model. without an Transformer.

Please guide me as i have purchased an Transformer. (Pics attached) will it be compatible with the machine or required to purchase a new one.
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG

^^ your converter is rated at 1000w but your coffee machine needs more than that. you can still try it for few minutes... if it becomes too hot then don't use it.

Please buy one of the heavy duty ones like I have. I'm quite certain that this type will damage your machine even if you buy one with the correct power rating.

Hi VB 86 ,

Im facing the same problem .. needed some help ..could you share your contact details so that i can speak with you

Many Thanks

Hi Friend's,

My friend has gifted me an Nespresso Inissia machine, Hungary made model. without an Transformer.

Please guide me as i have purchased an Transformer. (Pics attached) will it be compatible with the machine or required to purchase a new one.View attachment 54584 View attachment 54585

Maxine makes good step-down transformers . Look on Ebay.in , Amazon.in

As another FM pointed out, ensure the wattage rating of your step-down transformer is at least equal if not greater than the wattage rating of your device. In this case you need at least a 1200W stepdown if not a higher wattage. Don't use the 1000W transformer in your picture, since those are not meant for sustained high wattage loads. They can burn out on continuous load and given that your device needs a greater wattage than the transformer, the burnout risk becomes even more likely.

This is why I avoid importing electrical appliances. Most if not all electronic devices these days come with 100~240V input capability even if the plug types are localized and hence can be safely imported.

Electrical appliances are a different matter as they almost always don't ever come with universal support. My sister wanted to bring down a Ice Cream maker she bought in US as a gift for a Aunt. I forbid her from carrying a 3 KG appliance because of the mess with the transformer (even though it draws only 12W) and instead ordered an Ice cream maker locally with native 240V/50HZ support.

Back