Voltage Stabilization for entire home possible?

Tron05

Adept
Guys,
Recently started observing that the voltage is drastically fluctuating in my house.

So far, in my old house, never had any fluctuations and hence have not purchased any stabilizers for any device.

Now, i am really worried, i can feel the fan speed suddenly increasing and computer ups frequently switching over to battery mode.

I want to know, if there is any device/stabilizer, which i can connect to the mains get stabilized voltage everywhere in the house?

If not, what are my alternatives?

Yes, you can get stabilisers for your entire home. A 5KVA unit will pretty much power everything including a couple of airconditioners, though it is generally advised to separate lighting and power lines at the meter junction, and stabilise the lighting line only. A single 2KVA stabiliser should be enough for pretty much everything connected to that line. For the power line it is advised to separately regulate each appliances. Simple resistive appliances such as geysers do not need a stabiliser at all, whereas anything with a motor or coil requires a reasonably stable (190-260V) supply. The problem is not the voltage, but the fluctuation. So if you get anything above 200v and it stays stable, you should be fine. A UPS switching into battery mode for a few seconds is not an issue, but a 230V compressor running off 180V may burn it out. Most appliances are OK with about 10% fluctuation (that is 207-253v) so it's not as big a problem as you would probably think.

A good 5KVA unit will cost in the region of 16-18K, and may guarantee ultimate peace of mind. Do not connect a geyser to it though, those things can kill a stabiliser. Also remember motors can draw up to 2x their rated power at switch-on, so get a unit that can take a bit of overload.

greenhorn said:
yup, I run a 2KVA servo unit. runs pretty much everything except the fridge and teh water heaters :)

cost about 8k
Don't think they are that cheap these days will cost upwards of 10k.

Inverters usually have a wide input voltage range, they just pass the mains voltage without any kind of AVR,only after say 270v they just switch to Battery mode.
But a UPS on the other hand will do AVR,so one should look at a UPS like APC SUA3000UXI which can handle a load of 2700watts which means one can run a normal water heater(but not the instant type) and a fridge and a large size lcd tv .but UPS are very sensitive to sudden demand of the load,like for eg if one switches a 21" CRT tv in my 1000VA model , the ups trips indicating a overload ,despite the fact that it can handle 7times the load of the tv,this only happens in a cold start.
again in a UPS the load shouldn't exceed the rated output of the UPS even when its running on mains unlike a inverter.

adder said:
UPS are very sensitive to sudden demand of the load,like for eg if one switches a 21" CRT tv in my 1000VA model , the ups trips indicating a overload ,despite the fact that it can handle 7times the load of the tv,this only happens in a cold start.

it is because crt tvs require more watts during cold start than normal working requirement

amit.mastermind said:
it is because crt tvs require more watts during cold start than normal working requirement
Thats the exactly what my point was,it is unclear whether a inverter can handle it because its sensitivity isn't as high as UPS.

thanks for all the info guys,
so now, options are to get a servo or get 2 stabilizers for the fridge and home entertainment equipments.
Since a servo is really heavy and huge, i think i will stick to 2 stabs option

What are the recommended stabilizers for Refrigerator and TV equipments.

Can we use automatic stabilisers (those with the relays) instead of the servo stab? These are much cheaper than the servo ones. I have one such (500VA) with my refrigerator and I face no problems in 10 years. I have serious voltage fluctuations at my home and it does its job fine on keeping the output within 200-230V range.

we r using 3kva stabilizer at home works absolutely fine and for fridge we use diff. stab of .5kva.As we use gas geyser so we don't need stab for that.
Use stab according to your load connection,like we have 2Kva load connection.

I'm using a normal Vertex 5KV auto stabilizer, powering everything except a couple of ACs which are powered by their own 5Kv stabs. Voltage here drops to 80~90 in the evenings. The lower the input voltage, the higher the prices would be. So take readings of how low your voltage drops to on average before spending on the stab.

naah, even inverter will also trip in this case if it is working on battery, but if it is on mains it wont.

sensitivity is no issue.

an inverter or a ups wont trip if the requirement is not exceeded than it can provide.....

bought a multimeter yesterday and tested the voltages in my house. Its a 3 phase connection and 1 phase was giving only 190 V. And at night, it even dropped to 150V for a while. My computer and laptops are connected to this phase.

Does low voltage affect my devices?

Tron05 said:
bought a multimeter yesterday and tested the voltages in my house. Its a 3 phase connection and 1 phase was giving only 190 V. And at night, it even dropped to 150V for a while. My computer and laptops are connected to this phase.

Well it won't be a issue for the computer and laptop which have a SMPS/linear power supply which can work from 110v to 240v.

Tron05 said:

How did you get a 3 phase supply for your residence? AFAIK, 3 phase is for industrial use. Do you mean 3 pin?

adder said:
Well it won't be a issue for the computer and laptop which have a SMPS/linear power supply which can work from 110v to 240v.
oh yeah.. Didnt think of it. Used to run on 110V in US.
Btw, could you recommend some Stabilizers for the refrigerator and TV unit/equipments

sydras said:
How did you get a 3 phase supply for your residence? AFAIK, 3 phase is for industrial use. Do you mean 3 pin?
Thats very common in hyderabad. I believe most residential buildings have 3 phase power. Even my previous 20 yrs old building had.

Back