Laptops Vostro 1510 Hot GPU

I have dell vostro 1510 with following configuration
C2D T5670 1.8GHZ
4GB RAM
256MB DDR2 8400m gs

I just got my fan replaced. Fan is working fine now and cpu is lot cooler but GPU is running way hotter(reaching 100c on load). Earlier it never used to go beyond 85-86 on stress test.
But guy told me that he had just replaced fan and applied new thermal pad on GPU and new thermal paste on processor. He opened laptop in front of me and showed both of them placed perfectly. He also reassembled carefully and heatsink is perfectly fit.

So why am I getting a hot GPU?

Is thermal pad of poor quality?

Should I apply thermal paste(have heard that usually there is gap between heatsink and GPU and that's why thermal pad is applied to cover gap)

Can I use combination of thermal pad and thermal paste?

Also recommend me thermal paste and thermal pad if you recommend to replace

Firstly, Hope the copper/aluminium fins are dust free an there is no blockage. Secondly, check for any noticeable gaps between the heatsink and the gpu. You can also apply thermal paste for better heat conductivity. Check your results. You can either use Artic Silver 5 thermal paste or artic cooling mx2.

Firstly, Hope the copper/aluminium fins are dust free an there is no blockage. Secondly, check for any noticeable gaps between the heatsink and the gpu. You can also apply thermal paste for better heat conductivity. Check your results. You can either use Artic Silver 5 thermal paste or artic cooling mx2.
Yes they are dust free and there is no gap. If I would apply thermal paste in place of thermal pad then there is gap between heatsink and nvidia GPU.

Back