Vultr SSD VPS 50% off- Extremely low prices (Better than Digital Ocean) 2.5$ -768mb Ram 3gz procs

Party Monger

Skilled
Offer - If you add an amount, they'l add the same amount from their side upto 100$(from you)

Why VULTR? The performance of these server in various benchmarks is better than comparable Digital Ocean and Linode Servers! And remember these are SSD Servers! Best of all, you dont even have to provision the server now! Secondly, their prices are already at a discount for comparable Digital ocean droplets. Eg -
For 5$
DO- 512mb VPS
VULTR- 768mb VPS

Other plans (Remember Vultr doubles the money you add to the dashboard for use) so 50% discount on these.
vultr-server-spec-620x376.jpg

Now with basically 50% discount its available at 2.5 dollars !

Link for the offer

---------------------------------------
Other Links-
1) HOW TO BUILD A VPS ON VULTR
2) 90 Day review of VULTR (Its old, all locations are now available, snapshots are also available)

Other things-
1) They are using KVM vitrualization which is great cause very less chance to oversell.
2) They Dont have DNS like Digital ocean. You can simply edit the A records in Godaddy or other provider's own dns. Or install Vesta Panel which has dns by default.
3) They have a snapshot feature too now. Its in beta but already working flawlessly.
4) Guides I used to get a server running -
1) Start the server and log in using putty etc - Start from step 7 after you provision a server in Vultr.
2) Setting up the server
3) Optional- Installing Vesta Panel
5) It might be new, but the company behind it is apparently very established in hosting - https://www.choopa.com/

Initial Review-
I put in 50$ and my balance is now 100$ :D Will put in another 50$ in a few days. hey have 12 locations to choose from. Paris had the lowest ping for me. Everything was a breeze, just use the guide carefully. If using ubuntu 14 install CURL from root account itself or SUDO later.

Installed everything through the guides above. Its smooth till now. Pointed a domain from Godaddy's DNS, took a minute but the site is rolling now! Will have to see how it performs with Wordpress and everything later.

Vesta Panel
- It seems okay. Much more user friendly than Cpanel. Just couldnt see anything from my user ftp that i used to install vesta. I think i mistakenly used the root account. So I simply edited the domain in Vesta's dashboard and added an ftp account for the doman and what do you know, its working and i could upload the file through filezilla. :D

Uses-
1) Production server (Always backup using dropbox and symlink important directories in dropbox directory and have a script that does an sql dump and again saves it to dropbox folder) Epic solution, little cost. There is also an option to use Copy.com incase you run out of space or you want to split the files or redundancy.
2) VPN
3) Almost anything other than illegal. Its KVM!

Best luck!

Last edited:
I highly doubt if their support and community is as good as Digital Ocean[DOUBLEPOST=1407000897][/DOUBLEPOST]Fck it's KVM, that's amazing for the price they offering... Checking reviews now, if everything goes good even I will get one :D

And in another thread I had said Vesta sucks, sorry I was wrong. I got confused with Vista Control Panel.

They Dont have DNS Management like Digital ocean.
FTFY.

Last edited:
I highly doubt if their support and community is as good as Digital Ocean[DOUBLEPOST=1407000897][/DOUBLEPOST]Fck it's KVM, that's amazing for the price they offering... Checking reviews now, if everything goes good even I will get one :D

And in another thread I had said Vesta sucks, sorry I was wrong. I got confused with Vista Control Panel.

FTFY.
I posted the links to a few reviews. Mine is working pretty decently. The review is pretty good 5-10 min replies. Their discussion forum is also active. I'd say its a total win for a normal offer and with the 50% totally kicks ass. The servers perform better than Digital Ocean!

Port 25 is blocked by default. Open a ticket now and ask them how to enable this. Let's test their support response[DOUBLEPOST=1407002026][/DOUBLEPOST]
Doesn't matter as offer still works and if it's KVM, then it's pretty amazing
Its not just KVM, its SSD KVM :) Wordpress and other CMS should fly on this.

They block the SMTP port by default to solve->

Do you allow outbound SMTP?
Outbound SMTP is blocked by default. To lift this restriction, you must contact our support team and fill out an authorization form.

From - https://www.vultr.com/faq/

Its not just KVM, its SSD KVM :) Wordpress and other CMS should fly on this.

They block the SMTP port by default to solve->

Do you allow outbound SMTP?
Outbound SMTP is blocked by default. To lift this restriction, you must contact our support team and fill out an authorization form.

From - https://www.vultr.com/faq/
Yup I already know. So open a ticket and ask more details about authorization form. This is just to test how they respond and treat customers.

Also check their abuse policy. What happens if someone hacks into your VPS and sends thousands of spam

Yup I already know. So open a ticket and ask more details about authorization form. This is just to test how they respond and treat customers.

Also check their abuse policy. What happens if someone hacks into your VPS and sends thousands of spam
Yeah i didnt check the abuse policy. But on that note, are you aware of a complete guide that tells how to secure the server too? I'm thinking of redoing the VPS before I start hosting on it seriously.

^you cannot completely secure anything :p

Google and learn about these:
Fail2ban
Deny hosts
Disable root login (with password & ssh)
Disable user login (with password) i.e. use only ssh
IP Tables

And don't keep any ports unnecessarily open. Disable Vesta from public access. And don't use phpMyAdmin instead use Adminer

^you cannot completely secure anything :p

Google and learn about these:
Fail2ban
Deny hosts
Disable root login (with password & ssh)
Disable user login (with password) i.e. use only ssh
IP Tables

And don't keep any ports unnecessarily open. Disable Vesta from public access. And don't use phpMyAdmin instead use Adminer
Will do that! Just searching on DO's tutorials is bringing in a lot of info.

BTW do you have experience with windows server say 2003 or latter. Whichever runs best on 512 ram ( rest 256 for apps). I want to run a few apps with that could fly with a bandwidth like that. Is it possible to see the screen too?

^nope. Never used Windows or IIS.

Did you open the ticket?
Ticket for windows? Nope. Im doing basic research first. They allow you to upload a custom iso. I was thinking of starting a linux server, downloading an ahem xp image through torrent, using that image though ftp or something to provision a server. Xp should run fine I think. Then i'l have to think of how to get the screen on my pc. maybe vnc or remote desktop. I just need to configure and check once a day. Shoudnt even take much cpu.[DOUBLEPOST=1407068248][/DOUBLEPOST]Hell I could even use nlite and strip some baggage.

Upload Iso
This will allow you to upload an ISO file to boot your server from.
This can be used to install a custom OS, or boot your own recovery system.

Note: If you are using Windows, you must slipstream the VirtIO drivers into the installation CD. If you do not do this, the installer will be unable to detect the disk.​

What about the Windows 2012 R2 provided there? Don't I need to buy it? :O
The plan changes once you select it.

Server Size
1 CPU
1024MB MEMORY
20 GBSTORAGE
1000 GBTRANSFER
Monthly $23.00 Hourly$0.034

Thats 23$ from your account and not actual $ cause they add 50% to what you add into the account.[DOUBLEPOST=1407071633][/DOUBLEPOST]
What about the Windows 2012 R2 provided there? Don't I need to buy it? :O
However i think we could upload our own iso and select trial version for 120days. (not sure)

The plan changes once you select it.

Server Size
1 CPU
1024MB MEMORY
20 GBSTORAGE
1000 GBTRANSFER
Monthly $23.00 Hourly$0.034

Thats 23$ from your account and not actual $ cause they add 50% to what you add into the account.[DOUBLEPOST=1407071633][/DOUBLEPOST]
However i think we could upload our own iso and select trial version for 120days. (not sure)

Yeah missed that. Thanks for confirming :)

If it continues to be same, I'd shift my hosting permanently. Provided they provide good support and negligible downtime. Any review about that?[DOUBLEPOST=1407072303][/DOUBLEPOST]Also as people are saying, what if someone uploads pirated ISO's (of windows) and keep using?[DOUBLEPOST=1407072355][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, ticket for authorization details for Port 25

This I don't understand. It means the server's won't be able to send mails (by default). One need to go through authorization right?[DOUBLEPOST=1407072432][/DOUBLEPOST]Which location do you think would result in best performance for India for web hosting?

Last edited:
^yes, but not all VPS providers require authorization. So I am interested to know what all authorization process involves and what all details they require. And do they limit number of emails per hour/min/day

And their policy on TOS abuse

Back