Graphic Cards Wait or buy 5870

Guys i've sold my graphics card and psu quite sometime back. Now finally have the budget to upgrade. My total budget is around 28 to 29k max. You can see my current rig on my sig.should I wait for fermi which is gonna be really over priced or just get a 5870 and a good psu pls suggest

wait ..... but you might have to wait till middle of April to see actual cuts in India, if you can wait till then, by all means wait, the card is certainly going to see a price cut depending on
A) availability of GTX 470
B)Performance of the GTX 470.

If the performance is near the 5870 or slightly better there is going to be some big money saving there.

hi there,

Look currently a gtx 260 is more than capable of handling any game out there (except for say metro 2033 at max " guess tht game was not optmized :p ")......u could easily wait for a couple of weeks more until FERMI is released ...and for ur surprise both the fermi cards are priced reasonably { gtx 480 - 499$ and gtx 470 for -349$ }....and every one knows tht the current 5800 series cards are highly overpriced (due to lack of competition as well low 40nm chip yields ).......just wait for sometime till yields and the prices settle down ....later its ur call buds :).

You've got a well balanced config at the moment. if you wish to buy a HD5870, you would be recommended to make the following changes along:

VX450 -> VX550

APC 650VA -> APC 800VA

Hence, IMHO, you should wait.

psdatta2005 said:
Guys i've sold my graphics card and psu quite sometime back.

So you have sold the accelerator and PSU that is mentioned in your signature, or are those stop gap arrangements, and you are looking for something new in your allocated budget..?

i will also suggest u to wait till fermi has settled for sum time so tat u can see some price cuts in the ATI 5000 series

Moreover i guess u have to change ur cabby also to fit this beasts,,,almost 12 inches long.....:(

Fermi's (470) testing at VRzone shows it to be 5 to 10% faster than 5850, So not much performance, but then you should wait for proper benches from good sites. Although you can expect some price cuts but I doubt significant cuts as

1. (Based on Data available on net so far) Fermi does not seriously threaten Evergreen as 470 competes with 5850 and 5850 is around 100$ cheaper. and they consume more power.

2. Yields are low for both.

Waiting would be a better option and as GTX260 would play most games for Now n Not many actual DX11 games are out.

The GTX470 and GTX480 aren't that overpriced they are expensive but u get a lot better stuff ........ till now no game benchs have been reviled so its best to save your money for now and see how they perform .............

Besides The HD5xxx series were released in a rush it didn't have 100% proper Dx11 implementation (its good enough but could have been better )with a little bit of bugs and bad drivers ........... The Geforce GTX4xx could be monsters ( U do get better drivers ).........

kolguy said:
A) availability of GTX 470
B)Performance of the GTX 470.

Both point A and B are going to be poor for at least 1 month after launch. Even if the price is dropped by some $50 on the 5870,you would still need to wait a bit for the changes to take place here in india.

RoBoGhOsT said:
upgrade processor + mobo + ram + 5850 + psu , q6600 will bottleneck 5870 or fermi . get i5 atleast .

I would really go against that....He will end up spending a lot more for some performance difference he may not feel while playing most games....

also, we had a similar discussion here:

http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/gamers-view-how-important-graphics-card-161209-5.html#post1438855

A better suggestion would be just to buy a 5850 on the same rig itself(as graphics card will get bottlenecked anyways).

The GTX470 is about 349$ told by a site so u should expect 18k for it ( If u haven't noticed the prices in India and US are about the same now if u look at newegg ) ...........

And the GTX480 is 499$ and are slight faster than the HD5850 and HD5870 respectively........ plus the future driver releases will help get more performance ......

RoBoGhOsT said:
upgrade processor + mobo + ram + 5850 + psu , q6600 will bottleneck 5870 or fermi . get i5 atleast .

He would better off first to try a 5870 or 5850 on his current set up. See if he can OC the CPU and get maximum performance. Even IF there is a bottleneck, and he can max out games with decent frame rates, he is good to go. If his tests reveal, that he is being held back due to the CPU, then he can go for an overall change.

On the other side, the green refresh is around the corner. Post March 26th we will know the truth. As of now, its mere speculation. But if the OP waits, and realizes that the greens are bummers, he can pick up a red board. If the greens rock, then once they trickle to our supply chain -- pick one up. Till now, not commenting on any Fermi performance figures. Nothing is substantial as yet.

the power consumption of fermi is quiet a bit to say the least so if he plans to get a 470 or a 480 as well as oc his cpu to prevent bottle neck he would probably need a 750W or 850W to be on the safer side. He would end up spending more for a mere 5-10% increase in performance. The 5870 is no slouch of a card and with the 10.3 drivers, performance will increase. I don't see any harm in getting a 5870 instead of waiting away to glory for fermi and price drops and better drivers and availability etc etc the list never end really...

800 bucks more for 100w more ..... it a no brainer man get the 750 that way if you ever wanted to run another card for a SLI or failfire setup you could.

Back