Budget 41-50k Want a HOME PC-NEEDS to provide a lag free MULTI-TABBED browsing/Youtube experience!!

Any proof for the AMD FX's performing better?

The FX 6300(to be launched in India I'm this month) is at the same price,
pretty much matches the single threaded performance and dominates it in multi threaded, and can be overclocked

The FX 6300(to be launched in India I'm this month) is at the same price,
pretty much matches the single threaded performance and dominates it in multi threaded, and can be overclocked

Any proof for the single thread match up. We all know multiple physical cores will trounce hyper-threaded cores in appropriate scenarios. Over-clocking is something left of the table, OP does not want it and in day-to-day tasks it does not change a thing.

AnandTech - Bench - CPU -- Single-threaded performance is up, agreed. But real-world performance is still biased towards multi-threaded tasks.
AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300: All Vishera Processors in One Review! - X-bit labs
Unfortunately, contemporary Socket AM3+ processors can’t offer us decent performance under single-threaded load. The weakness of Bulldozer (and now Piledriver) cores pushes even the top FX-8350 behind the Pentium G2120. Vishera processors have becomes a little faster than their predecessors, but it didn’t change anything in the global scope.

The six-core Vishera modification, FX-6300, seems to make a pretty weak overall impression at first glance. One of the four dual-core modules in this processor is disabled that is why its peak performance is relatively low compared with Intel’s quad-core processors even under multi-threaded load. This is quite logical, because two contemporary AMD cores are pretty much as fast as one Intel core: this is exactly what we saw throughout our today’s test session. However, the first impression is not always the right one, and it immediately disappears once you check out the price list. AMD priced their FX-6300 in such a way that it becomes a direct competitor to Core i3, instead of Core i5.

Please keep in mind that AMD processors perform best in multi-threaded tasks, but they are not as universal as Intel products. Therefore, Socket AM3+ platform probably won’t be a good choice for everyday use, and will best fit into an inexpensive workstation system.

AnandTech - The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested
If the 7-zip benchmark is the best case scenario for AMD, Mozilla's Kraken test is among the worst. Largely dominated by single threaded performance, the FX-8350 is significantly slower than a Core i3 3220. Only Intel's old Core i7 920 is slower here, and that's a chip that debuted in 2008.

AMD does manage to pull away with some very specific wins when compared to similarly priced Intel parts. Performance in the latest x264 benchmark as well as heavily threaded POV-Ray and Cinebench tests show AMD with the clear multithreaded performance advantage. Other heavily threaded integer workloads also do quite well on Vishera. The only part that didn't readily beat its Intel alternative was AMD's six-core FX-6300, the rest did extremely well in our heavily threaded tests. Look beyond those specific applications however and Intel can pull away with a significant lead. Lightly threaded applications or those whose performance depends on a mixture of single and multithreaded workloads are typically wins for Intel. The story hasn't really changed in that regard.

Power consumption is also a big negative for Vishera. The CPU draws considerably more power under load compared to Ivy Bridge, or even Sandy Bridge for that matter.

And we can chuck efficiency out of the equation for a fair fight.

Check the benchmarks here. FX6300 wins some and i3-3220 wins some. But if multi threaded application such as video-encoding, photoshop and as in Op's case, tabbed browsing, FX6300 will perform better. There wont be any noticeable difference if there are 2-3tabs, but if there are 20 tabs opened, well, you know the rest.
Although i3 is not all that bad, BUT FX6300 will be better considering OP's requirements. If it would have been gaming, then i3 will definitely make a better choice.

FX6300 wins some and i3-3220 wins some. But if multi threaded application such as video-encoding, photoshop and as in Op's case, tabbed browsing, FX6300 will perform better. There wont be any noticeable difference if there are 2-3tabs, but if there are 20 tabs opened, well, you know the rest.
Although i3 is not all that bad, BUT FX6300 will be better considering OP's requirements. If it would have been gaming, then i3 will definitely make a better choice.

Dude seriously, if tabbed browsing is so multi-core intensive why does the FX-8350 trail behind the Core i3 3220 in Mozilla's Kraken bench?

OP has not mentioned anything about Photoshop, video-encoding which can be done faster with the Intel HD series iGP in the background.

RAM is what is needed, not super-macho multi-core processors.

Also, OP clearly states something power-efficient, he is purchasing a tablet with that end in mind. AMD FX series are no where close to that.

P.S. -- I refer to the same benches that you have linked, I posted them earlier in-case you did not go through my previous post along with two reviews quote-unquote.

Intel shifted the iGP from the motherboard onto the processor die since the Clarckdale era (Generation 1 Core i3's).
And yes the Core i3 carries a decent one which the B75 based motherboard supports and you get a choice of DVI-OUT and HDMI-OUT.
Hope this helps and wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Cheerio!

Thank you very much. Will surely pass this info along to my friend. @ALPHA17 you are awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude seriously, if tabbed browsing is so multi-core intensive why does the FX-8350 trail behind the Core i3 3220 in Mozilla's Kraken bench?

OP has not mentioned anything about Photoshop, video-encoding which can be done faster with the Intel HD series iGP in the background.

RAM is what is needed, not super-macho multi-core processors.

Also, OP clearly states something power-efficient, he is purchasing a tablet with that end in mind. AMD FX series are no where close to that.

P.S. -- I refer to the same benches that you have linked, I posted them earlier in-case you did not go through my previous post along with two reviews quote-unquote.

well, yea. With tabbed browsing, more memory would be helpful. Processing power is not needed, so any would do :p

well, yea. With tabbed browsing, more memory would be helpful. Processing power is not needed, so any would do :p

So for me to prove a point, I have to spend three posts of varying length and depth. After all this people say I have an ego.

Seems Legit.

so for me to prove a point, i have to spend three posts of varying length and depth. After all this people say i have an ego.

Seems legit.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

I didn't think much initially. It was only until I read your line avlut memory.
To begin with, there was not much point in our conversation. And I'm still not convinced why i3 is better than fx6300.

And man, WTF ego? >_>

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXD

I didn't think much initially. It was only until I read your line avlut memory.
To begin with, there was not much point in our conversation. And I'm still not convinced why i3 is better than fx6300.

And man, WTF ego? >_>

1. Cache and Memory write rate. i3 speed is almost double.
2. super pi calculation :p, I really dont know what super pi proves, I mean what aspect of processing does it stress or ... what?.
3. Single Threaded benchmark
4. Power consumption - HUGE difference at load

I am also really impressed with the FX 6300. Also not much difference between fx 6300 and i3.

To be frank, even a Intel g630 with an SSD would be good for the OP's usage. g630 + 120 Gb ssd better than only i3 or fx 6300 I feel. No matter how fast your processor is, HDD would run at its own pace. One of my friends has a Core2Duo E8400 without a GPU and he always has like 10-15 tabs open with a antivirus active all the time. He only has 2 Gb ram and uses Windows 7. I never saw his CPU max out or Ram max out in normal usage. Yea very rarely the antivirus causes the PC to lag or kinda hang it, but am not sure if the only reason is the processor. Gaming is something different. And modern softwares can offload graphics load to the GPU again not putting much pressure on the CPU. Save money where you can, rest your wish. If you really want a lag free experience, SSD is the way.

Note: I dont have personal experience with G630 but from its benchmarks and review, its quite good. A local dealer also told me that it is very good and he has sold it to his customer who is happy. Thou I am not sure if a dealer's word would sound credible here.

- - - Updated - - -

edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dzAcOWHU1c

note : Thanks to dennyvevo for the video.
The processor is G620, g630 is definitely better than G620.

Well... this is a screenshot of my 4 yr old machine with many tabs open, and one of them is youtube. The config is in my signature.

tabs.jpg

Okay ... bumping up this old thread as I am in the market for a new PC. The usage is largely Youtube Videos (multiple tabs) and Surfing

I have been out of touch for a while but have shortlisted some components, as below:
Intel i5 4440
ASUS H87 PLUS OR GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H
Ram: 4*2 GB : Corsair 4 GB XMS DDR3 RAM. Should I go for Dual or Triple Channel RAM ?
500 GB HDD: No Idea- would love to buy a Hitachi if possible. OR
an SSD 120/128GB preferred. Read bad reviews of the Samsung EVO 120- is 128 EVO Pro better?

Cabinet: clean looking cabinet- Upto 2K only
PSU: No idea again. I do not need an overkill. Will not be expanding/putting in dedicated GPU I guess
UPS: 800VA or 1KVA UPS: Will also hook up my LCD(Max. Power: 100W) to the UPS

All suggestions on these are welcome- most likely will get the rig on next Tuesday. Need to finalize components by then.

Thank you guys ![DOUBLEPOST=1396585362][/DOUBLEPOST]^^ bump guys- need your help !

Last edited:
So finally bought this:

Intel 4th Gen i3 4130
Gigabyte H87-D3H
Corsair Vengeance 2X4Gb DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung EVO 120 Gb SSD
Cooler Master 311 Cabinet
Win 7 Home Basic SL 64-Bit edition
APC 800VA Back-UPS
Total : 41K , ouch !
Loaded Windows, patched with all Windows updates and all running smooth.
Excellent browsing experience, multiple Youtube HD videos stream perfect.
Had to struggle a bit to get the audio from HDMI to my Panasonic 32" LCD.latest Intel graphics driver did the trick.

^^ Thanks ! UPS was about 4.4K, 2 years warranty.
any idea what the load draw of this system would be? I am thinking about attaching the LCD TV(rated ~130W) to the UPS. (800VA,480W)
Forgot to mention that I carried over my existing Gigabyte Superb 460W PSU into this rig.

^^ Thanks ! UPS was about 4.4K, 2 years warranty.
any idea what the load draw of this system would be? I am thinking about attaching the LCD TV(rated ~130W) to the UPS. (800VA,480W)
Forgot to mention that I carried over my existing Gigabyte Superb 460W PSU into this rig.

Load draw should not be more than 120 watts MAX, this is approx, not very sure. BTW I have no idea if attaching the TV to the ups will be a good idea.
If you do not mind can you please help me out a bit?. I am thinking of buying exactly the same motherboard, just the micro atx version.
Can you please see the SSD's speed using some benchmark software. I was about to go for the Gigabyte H87M version, yours is full atx right? I was about to go for the M version when I read this review.
This guy claims the Sata ports are slow on Gigabyte H87 chipset? http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Inte...d=1397041421&sr=8-2&keywords=gigabyte+h87+d3h

No... the SSD speeds are all fine and in line with the published specs for this SSD.
You also have the option of enabling RAPID (for Samsung SSDs) which basically is a RAM cache for the SSD thereby taking those Read/Writes figures even higher.

Damn... The system is not booting up. when I press, the power button- I get nothing. No fans, light power up.
Looks like a PSU issue (I carried over the Gigabyte Superb 460W PSU from my old build)

Any ideas on what else could be wrong?
Please do suggest a good reliable PSU for this rig.
I do not however want to go for a overkill. as the entire thing is hitched to a 800VA APC UPS which also runs a 32" LCD .

TIA folks !!

Back