Want Money Investing Advice

Channu

Adept
Hey all,

I was working in Bahrain and recently returned back. Now unemployed by choice till it lasts ;)
Somehow managed to save some amount out of my salary which is around a lac or two at max.
Now if i keep this money, then i'm bound to blow it up in something or the other so want to invest it so that if offers certain return and also be a bankable chunk for my needs in future.
Can definitely add to it once i get back in job again probably in april but saving might be a bit tough here in India as there were no taxes in Bahrain and all the expenses were paid by company. So only small additions to this initial amount now onwards.
So suggest me something to do with it. M a noobie at it, just had passed out of college and was in my first job & i quit too :p

WARNING!

Do not accept "money investing advice" from random people on forums :D

Please consult a professional investment advisor, thank you and good night.

^^Hehehe... true ! But i'm totally new to this thing so it will help if u people share ur ideas. That will give me atleast some footing to step on and then I can go around and consult people otherwise i might just be taken for a ride by an agent willing to sell his MF or anything !

Shares, Mutual Funds , Bonds, Precious metals, Horse Races, Cricket matches :p .. depends on how much risk you're willing to take.

our ideas may not necessarily work out for you favourably. investing depends on the risk taking ability of a person.

better ask your parents, relatives, friends etc who are wealthy for advice and then research and act on your own.

Spread ur investment basket according to ur risk apetite. I wud do this if i wud be u.

1. 60K GOLD.
2. 80K Equity Mutual funds, as u r new to investing, otherwise a portion may be invested directly into equity market.
3. 60 FD/Bonds. I wud say 12-36 mts FD with high yield.

As u r young, I have kept % of Sr No 3 low.

My parents haven't been a very active investors, mostly land, LICs, bonds n saving accounts n ol. They had never been keen on taking risks n have played safe but i've got a little of my own now n hence can risk it to my thinking hence thinking of some active n good investment, thinking to invest in shares n mutual funds etc but couldn't get a headstart due to lack of knowledge.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Thanks for the advice. Few questions

1. What do I do with gold, buy coins and keep it n sell it off when I need some money ?

2. How do I start with equity trading n ol ?

3. Any difference between FD n bonds n their merit compared to other options ?

ashu_dps said:
My parents haven't been a very active investors, mostly land, LICs, bonds n saving accounts n ol. They had never been keen on taking risks n have played safe but i've got a little of my own now n hence can risk it to my thinking hence thinking of some active n good investment, thinking to invest in shares n mutual funds etc but couldn't get a headstart due to lack of knowledge.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Thanks for the advice. Few questions

1. What do I do with gold, buy coins and keep it n sell it off when I need some money ?

Option 1 * The easiest way is to buy gold coins from reputed local jeweller. They buy/sell over the counter with buy/sell margins which wud be around 5%. Just like, go there-give money-get gold/go there-give gold-take money kind of easy transaction.
Option 2 * Gold MF.
Option 3 * For this u need to open an account with any NSE broker. And u can GOLDBEES in steps of 1 Gm just like u r buying any equity.

ashu_dps said:
2. How do I start with equity trading n ol ?
U need to open a trading+DP account with any BSE/NSE broker. Visit ur nearest broker outlet for detailed info. Open account with a reputed broker with sizable operation, take advice from ur friends/relatives who already are into this.

ashu_dps said:
3. Any difference between FD n bonds n their merit compared to other options ?
I wud go with FDs as they r more liquid.

Is trading+DP account with any BSE/NSE broker and Sharekhan.com or ICICI offer same functionality ? What kind of return is offered in equity trading as compared to FD or bond which are relatively safe ? Equity does carry the risk of market fluctuations unlike bonds n FD, so is the risk worth the return offered ?

Equity is a risky investment. U may or may not get return, u can even loose money. If u exclude 2008, equity has generaly given good returns in last 10 _ 12 yrs.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using Tapatalk

I have been inspired by Warren Buffett and his visit to India.

So I have devised a cunning plan to invest Rs 30k now which will multiply 10x every 3 years, resulting in becoming Rs 3 Cr. in about ten years time!!!

Rs 3 Cr. (aka Rs 30 mil.) will be about half a million dollars in ten years time maybe? Wooohooooooo!!!!

^ what did you find that will multiply that 30k to 10x times every 3 years? pm me and i will invest 50k in it. 5 Cr in 10 yrs is good enuf for me.

As far as mutual funds are concerned commission by MF houses are hidden now. Earlier the amount of brokerage was paid at the time of investment. Now SEBI has disallowed the practice.

As far as I know a trailing commission is also paid to the broker if he convinces you to remain in a single scheme for a longer period. Sometimes the broker may ask you to invest in a very high priced MF when its NAV is at peak or when market overheats. As the NAV falls it is impossible to redeem the units and the broker successfully keeps you invested in the same scheme over a longer period of time. So unless you do not require any amount in the short term equity based MF is a good tax free option. However you are required to keep an eye on the market from time to time and how your MF are performing.

Your broker should also be qualified with ARN. This will enable to track down his record and whether he has been suspended.

At least research on market functioning and various investment options. Unless you are confident FD may be the best route.

6pack said:
^ what did you find that will multiply that 30k to 10x times every 3 years? pm me and i will invest 50k in it. 5 Cr in 10 yrs is good enuf for me.
why PM, please stop behaving like a second class local train commuter, if this is practical them please let him explain which is good for all.

vishalrao said:
I have been inspired by Warren Buffett and his visit to India.

So I have devised a cunning plan to invest Rs 30k now which will multiply 10x every 3 years, resulting in becoming Rs 3 Cr. in about ten years time!!!

Rs 3 Cr. (aka Rs 30 mil.) will be about half a million dollars in ten years time maybe? Wooohooooooo!!!!
brother from another mother, please :p

Well if you are worried that the money lying around you will blow away and also keeping the money in bank account wont make it inflation proof than ya best bet would be one time investment buy gold or silver and forget for time being.Only 1 day will be wasted and ya you need to take care of the metal but it will surely give your idle money work for you better and yes since its from your salary do show it in your returns whenever you file and yes when you sell it in future and take cheque for the same youll have to pay long term capital gain tax if held for more than 3 years and STCG(short term ) if held for less than that on profit.

I know better advise will be to buy from MF or on paper but if you not interested in trading or something than you'll need to open account .Account charges ,maintenance etc.

In short if you ready to plan for future than go with that or else for one day job buy coins from reputed jeweler.

Stay away from stocks if you dont understand it or invest only if you wish to stay long.

Ill also bet for silver but i feels better price to buy is 50k for 1kg as it have jumped too much but i cant bet whether it will happen or it will go 1l per kg.SO better is SIP buy 100 gram per month and again on big fall.

net said:
Buy silver
right now? that would be a bad idea. silver is at its peak and might fall anytime when the crazy people stop taking it price up.

also wanted to know, how does a person invest in metals? does he get it in units or what? and in which exchange metals are traded in?

6pack said:
right now? that would be a bad idea. silver is at its peak and might fall anytime when the crazy people stop taking it price up.

I agree, Silver is too risky now, Bubble may burst anytime :bomb:. OR It may not if many crazy people keep joining the crazy people.:p

6pack said:
also wanted to know, how does a person invest in metals? does he get it in units or what? and in which exchange metals are traded in?

Metals are traded with most volumes on MCX. Gold trades in grams,Silver in Kilos. Metal futures are also tradedon MCX.

Though the thumb rule is to invest more in 'secure' instruments with increasing age, I would strongly recommend you to invest about 70% of this chunk in a bank FD for 2 - 3 years duration. ICICI has an option which gives 9.25% for 990 days. These interest rates are hard to come by, and make the most of it while it is still available. Rest of the money, invest in 2 or at most 3 balanced mutual funds equally. You can get the list of the best performing funds - check longer durations like 2 - 3 years - and invest in those.

Back