Budget 0-20k Want to build a Music PC

anilk47

Disciple
Guys...first I am not an expert in IT so if I sound any naive in following section...I should be excused...
Scenario : I am drooling over Guys...first I am not an expert in IT so if I sound any naive in following section...I should be excused...
Scenario:
1. I am thinking over of putting up a decent system for music and movies.
2. Don’t want disturb existing PC but use some parts laying with me such as OEM COMPAQ Cabinet and AMD MOBO
3. Don’t want second pc with monitor without monitor would do
4. Already have a Buffalo WZR nh300G
What I want
1. A PC built for music (primary purpose) and movies (secondary purpose)
2. Both music and movies can be available on local (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] PC) or on network (HDD attached to router / other home PC)
Question
1. Can I operate PC without monitor, I have iPOD touch 3g can it be used as machine on VPN, if yes then what I need to do….
I am sure so many of you being here day in day out in this would be able to guide…
Please suggest

thanks a million

Guys...

Q: What is your budget?
15 k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Motherboard – Biostar AM3 socket
Monitor – want to operate system on wifi from other system or ipod
SMPS - Stock , came with the OEM Compaq cabby
HDD - Seagate 500 gb Speakers – will get bookshelf (not in this budget please suggest)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
all above

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Soundcard…
Anything which will help in minimizing requirement of amp and gives music

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No more upgrades ...

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Pure Music
Might be sometime movies want to plug this to tv that time

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Any suggestions are welcome ...

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NO

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
don’t want a monitor

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
no

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Please suggest

Use Google, I'm not going to be explaining each and every technical term below

If you plan on using ASIO drivers, stick with Windows XP. Am having a hellish time with Windows 7 and a dedicated music PC, because it has such a fookin noisy and large pawprint.

A good soundcard will be the Asus Essence ST/STX. If you're feeling spendy, get the Musical Fidelity V-DAC 2, it is around 18k, just a little bit above your budget but not much.

It would help if we knew the processor, the memory amount and speed, as well as the exact board model.

Run a DPC latency test (dpclat.exe) to see if all is well with the hardware subsystem. You are looking for values below 100uS if possible.

Can't help you with the 'reduction in amp capability'. You will need a good amp and good speakers in your budget outside this 15k (which is exactly how much?).

You missed a decent sale I had going for speakers and amp, but I'm sure you'll find something.

If you plan on using ASIO drivers, stick with Windows XP. Am having a hellish time with Windows 7 and a dedicated music PC, because it has such a fookin noisy and large pawprint.
OP, I apologize about this OT.

Cranky, did you try using WSAPI ? My understanding is that it's the Windows 'native' solution for audio streaming compared to ASIO which is a 3rd party solution (Steinburg).

ASIO is a very good solution for WinXP where WSAPI isn't available, but with Vista onwards, WSAPI can be used instead of ASIO.

WASAPI and ASIO do not have identical performance. WASAPI is probably better than 'psuedo-ASIO' streamers such as ASIO4all, but for the most part a well-designed ASIO driver will have lower latency and better performance (CPU load) than software solutions.

Do note that consumer cards are not specifically designed for ASIO, and the driver on something like a Asus STX will not be tightly integrated into hardware as much as say, a RME or Lynx product.

Back