Want to buy 2 x iPhone, need advice.

Me and my brother want to buy iPhone 3G (8gb) for ourselves. We went to a couple of shops and were offered a prive of Rs.28500/- with bill and warranty through Airtel. Now I have 2 questions.

1. Which is cheaper one of the two, Vodafone or Airtel. Also will be able to get a better deal if a go to an independent shop and purchase the same iphone even though it still may be locked to Vodafone or Airtel.

2. Will Jailbreaking void the warranty? If yes then, is there a way to restore the warranty back?

3. How much should a new iPhone 3G cost me if I go to Gaffar market or say buy it through any other grey market channel?

4m!7 said:
Grey market price of iphone 3g 8gb is around 17k-18k.

You can get a 3gs for 30-32k thru grey market.

So can i get a brand new iPhone 3G 8GB for 17-18k ? or will it be used ? Also the right place for purchasing through the grey channel in Delhi would be Gaffar Market right ?

Yesterday after much looking around I was offered a lowest price of Rs. 27812 /- for an iPhone 3G 8GB by Vodafone . It wasnt readily available & I was told to wait till Tuesday.

I dont want a 3GS as i believe that it has to be unlocked every time i restart it.

Forget Vodafone & Airtel. Once they sell you they will make you run around. They dont even have people who support you on iPhone. Anyways you gona jailbreak it so why bother.

Go ahead with Gaffar market / Nehru place. You should get 3G.

Praks said:
Forget Vodafone & Airtel. Once they sell you they will make you run around. They dont even have people who support you on iPhone. Anyways you gona jailbreak it so why bother.

Go ahead with Gaffar market / Nehru place. You should get 3G.

Dude any idea how much can I get a Brand New 3G 8GB from Gaffar or Nehru place for ?

Today I called my dealer in Gaffar & the moron Quoted me Rs 28000 for an iPhone 3G 8GB .......... The fool got insulted like hell.

Do you look like a chick or a school boy?
How come you get quated these dumb prices?
Contact mayanksahini on TE. He organized a GO for iphone 2g 8gb for 12k. I think he can give you info on the dealer.

There is a mjor shortage of 3G's in India, as people have stopped importing. There is a 3GS selling for 28 on TE Market. Suggest you buy that.. I have 3G 16Gb in amazing condition selling for 21 shipped.

nitant said:
There is a mjor shortage of 3G's in India, as people have stopped importing. There is a 3GS selling for 28 on TE Market. Suggest you buy that.. I have 3G 16Gb in amazing condition selling for 21 shipped.

You see there is this thing that ive heard about the 3GS , They say that if you switch it off then you must re-Unlock &/or re-Jailbreak the phone again. Now even if this can be done in minutes its still a hassle.

The 3GS on sale in the TE market has some flaws :

Firstly, its locked, so if its firmware 3.13 im stuck with a bloody super expensive iPod .

Secondly, its used ( even if for a week) im not willing to buy a second hand device .

Thirdly & most importantly, the seller is making his first deal on this forum, now trusting a newbie with this kind of money for his first transaction is sheer stupidity & by the looks of it, i dont look like a chick ( im big & burly ) or like a schoolboy ( i may have fathered some though ) .

Thank you for your offer Nitant , but i want a VIRGIN , unused , sealed pack for my Top dollar.

Lets see if there is someone who can arrange a iPhone at a reasonable price in the Grey market for me , otherwise i dont mind [aying extra money to Vodafone.

H2O said:
Forget calling up...Go to Gaffar with some of your intimidating friends and find out the prices. You will never get good prices if you call them up.

Actually, it was my Dad who called up his Liquor Dealer in Gaffar & he quoted this stupid price, so a personal visit to Gaffar is in order . Tomorrow is Monday so Gaffar will be closed , so i guess I shall have to make time on Tuesday or Wednesday . As far as intimidating these people is concerned , i am much more intimidating than all those Kabuli Sardars can Handle, im pure Peshawari Jatt ( Punjabi ) & we kick ass for Sport .

Thanks for the information guys , I queried around a bit & the best quote that I got on iPhone 3G 8Gb was Rs. 24500-/ from Gaffar, on another note Airtel offered me iPhones for Rs.28500 each but with Free internet access for an entire year .

Now considering that the iPhone is only half the phone it is without internet access , i have decided to stick with Airtel , cuz after all I shall be paying those extra 5K towards my internet bill as it is, so why not get a proper phone with bill & internet sops for the same price .

After the purchasing I have been given 2 phones , free internet for an entire year as long as it doesn't exceed 500mb . The phones have been manufactured in January 2010 so im getting a fresh piece not some old iPhone or a second hand peice with a new body .

I shall post pics & details soon.

BTW, i was attended by an official Apple employee & not an Airtel representative. More details on the entire experience later :)

Back