Want to buy LG 6 Motion Direct Drive Washing Machine..

I had been wanting to purchase a 6.5 kg LG 6 motion machine, but was also considering a Bosch initially, but changed my mind to consider a Siemens machine (since Bosch wasn't DD). I was so confused and coudn't gather the required information despite extensive research, and was about to give up, till I found this post a few days ago. And I'm really thankful to know that this could be the place that could alleviate my predicament.
How did you zero in on 6.5 kg ?

Dimensions for LG 5, 6 & 6.5 kg indicate same size drums as mentioned earlier. So the larger weight means more programs. Only programs you will mostly need are cottons, synthetics, mix & delicates, wash temps 30,40,60 & 90.

You will never be able to fit 5 kg dry weight of clothes into any of them, more like 2-2.5 kg which is the usable weight. Usable weight is what you care about and not some number in the brochure. The bosch siemens will be 20% larger for the same size. Work out your wash load for the week as indicated in my last post. How many 20 litre buckets can you fill in a week.

Read this to know pros & cons of DD vs not.

Direct drive vs Indirect drive

DD means less sound. DD means smaller drum for 6.5 kg and below. The 10 yr warranty is a bit of a gimmick. Motors don't usually give out. The motor for a LG costs one third that of a bosch going by prices on spares websites. If you watch videos for DD motor change its quite simple. However, bearings changes or drum support replacement are much more involved and labour intensive.

What is most likely to happen is with the bosch/siemens that brushes need to be replaced, this isn't expensive and easily done. Then control boards can fail if there is too much fluctuation in power or excessive humidity, prices for these are similar with either brand. And finally drum spider failure.

The LG's have replaceable spiders, the bosch/siemens have the spider attached to the drum so require the drum to be replaced as well. You can tell bearings are going when the machine starts to make more noise, it means water has entered the seal and the bearings are slowly but surely grinding away. This is the time to replace the seal & bearings. If you do that then its good for another 5 years. Course there is the control board and spider after as well.

Why not enquire at the service centre for prices of the above parts + labour with both companies ? Then you will have an idea of any future costs (adjust for inflation) over the lifetime of the unit

I was slightly tempted towards the Siemens, because of German technology, but sadly, I have, till now, heard only horror stories from many disgruntled customers about Siemens' pathetic after-sales service. The customer service personnel at Siemens never answer the phone initially, and one has to try several times to get them to answer the phone. Once connected, they say they would send an engineer on a particular day, and the person, invariably, doesn't show up. Apart from that, the spare parts are not easily available, and have to be imported (time taken would be around 15 days), and are very expensive, probably because they are imported from Germany and there is that dreaded currency conversion from Euros to INR. In addition, there almost always seems to be a problem of drum breakage for most customers, before or just about when the warranty period expires. I also read that Siemens reported multiple drum breakages / breakdowns for machines, about a year or two ago. When I enquired about this with the sales representative displaying the machine in their showroom, he said that it was because of problems due to improper transporting, which I find hard to believe. Even the service engineers charge a bomb, for just a diagnosis, without confirmation whether they can solve the problem (the amount charged by Siemens is about 2-3 times more than what LG charges, apparently). The parts are imported from Germany, and are therefore expensive. Are the service engineers imported from Germany too??
after sales service is a tricky to work out and depends where you live. Tier 1 cities will be better than Tier 2. Generally i find people are happy with LG washers and service provided.

Can you provide a link for those multiple drum breakages ? or are you going by posts on the consumer complaints website.

Drum failure, more accurately drum spider/support failure is a combination of chemical & mechanical.

The drum is stainless steel of uncertain grade, the spider which is that 3 legged thing at the back of the drum is aluminium alloy. It corrodes over time due to incorrect dosage of washing powder or using cheap powders that are too alkaline. the more expensive powders are buffered so do better at keeping the ph around 8-10. The maintenance boil wash once a month helps to clean out deposits that get stuck to the spider and delay corrosion. Then there is hard water which causes limescale to accumulate. How hard is it. Double dose of detergent can handle it but if its very hard then you need something else. So impurities in the water is a major contributor. You cannot determine any of this from the numerous complaints of drum failure.

If the drum spider is corroding then mechanical action will weaken it further. Overloading puts more stress on the drum & bearings. As does high rpm spins. As does unbalanced loads. When i hear about early drum spider failure i think abuse of the machine is the most likely cause or a lack of knowledge in how to use the machine. Who does the washing ? somebody that knows how to use the machine or somebody that wants to get the wash load done. Are they going to care about dosage or loading. None of this is apparent in the complaints either.

Finally disabuse yourself of siemens/bosch being german made. They are made in numerous countries around the world, China, Thailand, Poland & Turkey. So the question is where do the spares come from then. From the factory that made the machine or only from Germany. I don't know that yet. The only German made machines sold in india are by Siemens and they cost 60k and above. Similar applies to LG, only the Rs.60k+ are made in Korea, otherwise all in China.

I find good availability of spares for siemens/bosh and lg. Samsung however tends to be harder and i've not found too much on them. People complain about high cost of spares which is true but lack of spares means an even higher replacement cost. Thing is to ensure you get new parts and not refurbs as those will break down sooner. The problem with new parts is nobody has inventory so they have to order them from abroad especially the more expensive parts and that means a wait time of anywhere up to 2 months. How many people can wait that long.

I had heard that LG machines too were suffering from load sensing and support breakage problems about a year or so ago. But I didn't seem to notice too many problems with LG's customer service.

This made me tilt towards the LG a bit, But regarding 6 motion technology, it is a pity that nobody knows about the technology comprehensively. After some research, I found that 6 motion is applicable only to one particular wash (as also mentioned by blr_p above), and also would come into action only after atleast an hour or two. But the supposedly "educated" sales representatives say this is not so, and that as soon as the machine starts to wash, one can see all the different motions. When enquired about how it was applicable to one type of wash cycle only, they have no idea about it, or maybe they feign ignorance. You would think LG would have provided some information related to this on their website, or educated their dealers, distributors or service engineers, but...not a thing.

Also, if 6 motion technology applies to only one wash, could you specify how many other wash cycles are there, and are there atleast 3 or 4 motions associated with these wash cycles, if not all 6? If not, then the 6 motion would probably be just a marketing gimmick.
Are there any 3rd party tests to show this 6 motion cleans any better than competing front loading machines ? no. It's just a buzz word. Koreans tend to use them a lot. Every now & then they will come up with something new :D

I find if you want to buy a product these days you better know it better than the guy selling it to you. The repair guys have a better idea than sales people. If its a mechanical device you better have some idea about fault fixing and repairs too. Just so you can tell when they are being honest. They are not all crooks but a lot of stuff is counter intuitive and a lack of knowledge isn't a basis to accuse anybody.

Is it really better than hand wash, as LG would like us to believe?
Better in terms of what ?

A cottons cycle on any FL is more intense than the hand wash cycle which corresponds to a delicates cycle. So if you put soiled clothes in a hand wash cycle they won't come out as clean as in a longer cottons cycle. A handwash cycle is the gentlest cycle.

A hand wash is for items that are delicate and would be damaged by a more intense program. If delicates are soiled then you will have to pre-soak them first and slowly clean them.

Now I can't decide between Siemens and LG. The only thing going in favour of Siemens is that they are German manufactured (though I think machines shipped here are from Thailand or some other place in Asia, and I don't know if they are comparable to those made in Germany), and they have a very robust and strong design and construction, and their electrical / electronic circuitry are very professional, designed to last long. The LG machines, on the other hand, supposedly have poor electrical / electronic circuitry and components, which are flimsy, unprofessionally designed, and therefore unreliable. Their PCB's supposedly conk out often.
PCB conking out is a function of power fluctuation. If your power is between 190-270 i think either will be fine but if it goes out of those bounds then some sort of stabiliser is needed. So how is the power situation for people with conked out boards. Another point is where the machine is located, is it in an area of high humidity ? High humidity isn't good for electronics. So some sort of cloth cover (old bed sheets?) needs to be used. None of these points is mentioned in any complaints is it. Living in an area with high humidity, unstable power and hard water takes its toll then add abuse and result is to kill the machine faster.

I was ready to spring for a Siemens until i discovered this low water pressure business. LG is making machines that are more suitable for India. Lower water pressure requirement. They even include a rat guard for the underside. LG's control boards are coated with a resin that makes individual component replacement difficult in case of a failure, the whole board has to be replaced. But what that resin does is add more weather resistance to the board. I don't know if Siemens control boards are similarly 'weather proofed' (if you can call it that) as well.

When looking at shipment data, for 7kg machines i found the bosch/siemens importing at 12-13.5k whereas the LG's cost 17-18k. The sales price for both is around 39-42k. It's curious that the LG's cost 40% more to import than the siemens/bosch of same capacity as well as similar order size. Whether it implies LG's are of higher quality isn't clear.

If you look at the weight of these machines the bosch will be 10-15kg heavier than the lg. That means more shipping weight. people take this heavier weight to mean extra quality but if you look at the disassembly you will notice there is a concrete necklace around the opening of the bosch. That is where the extra weight comes from. It means a more stable, less vibration for that kind of design. But the LG's have the motor on the back of the drum which serves a similar counterweight purpose with the same result.

How the machine is used/abused, maintained and cared for is more important than what country it comes from.

Also, because the machine is DD (motor directly connected to the drum), if at all any problem occurs in that "connected" part, the entire drum has to be changed. Are all of the above true?
The Bosch /Siemens require drum replacement for spider failure, the LG's show the spider as a separate component. Bear in mind that if you don't empty your pockets of coins or other items get between the drum & outer tub the outer tub which is plastic for either can be damaged.

Finally, the one last thing that still makes me want to consider Siemens is their new IQ drive machines. Are these similar to LG's DD motors, or better?

I must have visited LG's website endless times, in trying to decipher the 6 motion technology, and also gather other relevant information, hoping that they would have added "new" updated information about their existing products, but in vain. I have nothing personal against LG or Siemens, but I only wish that they would show some genuine concern for their customers - existing as well as prospective - in providing comprehensive information about their products, and satisfactory customer service, thereby assisting the customer to make an informed purchase. Maybe asking for the moon is easier.

I hope either blr_p or someone could enlighten me on all these topics. This is, without doubt, my last attempt to gather some information which, unfortunately, a prospective customer like me has to struggle to the ends of the earth, to find answers to.
IQ drive i've seen only on the iQ700-800 models, these are brushless and more silent but the price tag is 50k and above. What annoys me is you can only get mid-range in the 8kg segment. Everything below that is pretty much of the same build quality just different capacity.

IQ drive is not the same as DD. Its a quieter motor that uses belts like other motors with brushes. Nothing wrong with belts, they are cheap to replace and none of the high end washer manufacturers use DD.

Last edited:
I was looking for a machine with not just good wash quality, but also one that could remove stains, without manual intervention involving a brush and soap. I never heard anyone mention about any machine that could remove stains easily and satisfactorily, which is understandable, as conventional washing machines with their conventional / typical movements hardly get the job done. That was when I stumbled upon the new LG machines with 6 motion technology, involving various motions, and which LG claims is better than hand wash. I noticed that they started with 6 kg capacities and above. I wanted something that was a bit high-end, with fairly advanced features, but not overly expensive. About 35K or below. I was attracted to the 6.5 kg machine, which differs from the 6 kg variety only in RPM spin speed. The models above, 7 kg and also, another 6.5 kg, were not just more expensive, but didn't have many significant features that could warrant a serious consideration. That is how I zeroed in on the 6.5 kg / 1200 RPM machine.

Now, after looking at your post, where you had mentioned that drum volume for DD machines differs from non-DD machines only by a margin of under 10% for machines of 6.5 kg capacity, compared to 20% for machines of 6 kg and under, I deduce that 6.5 kg is probably the sweet spot where good pricing meets good features.

However, there is one peculiar aspect about LG machines, that I noted, which is that LG seems to change their model number quite frequently, and the machines with the newer model numbers seem to be exactly the same as the older model numbers. For instance, the 6.5 kg machine model number ended with WDP2/25 (white or silver), but one fine day, all of a sudden, I noticed that a 6.5 kg machine was listed as "New" on LG's website, with its model number ending with WDL2/25 (white or silver). I compared the "new" models with the older ones and unless I'm seriously mistaken, both the machines are exactly the same. LG seems to have tweaked some information here and there on the main page and added "New" to the product. I guess this might be a tactical move to lure more potential customers.

You had mentioned that the LG's have replaceable spiders, while the Bosch/Siemens have the spider attached to the drum and hence require the drum to be replaced as well. This definitely seems to be the biggest advantage that LG has over Bosch/Siemens. But it depends on how much the spiders cost. I read somewhere that Siemens' drum costs about 7.5K to replace (though I don't know for sure).

You had mentioned that after-sales service is better in Tier 1 cities, than in Tier 2. I don't think this may be entirely true because I have read absolutely woeful tales from customers of Siemens, who are senior citizens, and belong to Tier 1 cities like mine. I can't imagine what citizens belonging to Tier 2 cities must be enduring. However, I noticed too that there are very negligible people disappointed with LG's service.

I also noticed that almost every single review I have read about LG's performance and wash quality has only been good to excellent.

Regarding a link for multiple drum breakages, I noted this aspect in a review of electrical / electronic gadgets where someone had enquired about purchasing a Siemens machine and wanted a review, and the reviewer stated about multiple drum breakages. Besides, there are numerous consumer complaints on many websites, which validate this, though it is not clear what actually caused this, nor do the complaints elaborate on this.

Thanks for providing the link to show the differences between DD and non-DD machines. I was flabbergasted to note that the reviewer had even used the word "rubbish" in one of his sentences. I can't believe that DD, like 6 motion technology, is nothing but a marketing ploy by LG! I was also very astonished to note that all machines under 60K are manufactured in China! Incredible! I can't believe I wanted to purchase an LG machine made in China, of all places! Likewise with the Siemens machines where only those above 60K and above are made in Germany. I'm not quite sure how to react to all this...

Regarding 6 motion technology, I was wondering if you had any information about how many motions are associated with wash cycles, other than cotton. Also, regarding IQ drives, there are several drives starting from IQ100 to IQ800. Why are they numbered in multiples of 100, and how do these motors differ from each other?

Last edited:
I was looking for a machine with not just good wash quality, but also one that could remove stains, without manual intervention involving a brush and soap. I never heard anyone mention about any machine that could remove stains easily and satisfactorily, which is understandable, as conventional washing machines with their conventional / typical movements hardly get the job done. That was when I stumbled upon the new LG machines with 6 motion technology, involving various motions, and which LG claims is better than hand wash.
The underlined bit is a very broad statement. Remove what stains from what kinds of clothes ? Some stains are going to be difficult to remove regardless, they will have to be pre-treated depending on the kind of stain. See this guide.

Also i'm not sure what you mean by conventional washing machines, top loaders presumably as opposed to front loaders. FL's clean better because they spend more time at it (as they use less water) and the clothes get rubbed against each other mimicking hand wash and also gently thrashed unlike in a top loader. But that extra rubbing can also damage clothes so pay attention to the clothes labels.

Then there is detergent of which we have only two options in india, surf or ariel. I can't tell if Henko uses enzymes or not. Its ok at 60 degrees and above but am unsure how effective it is in the 40 degree range. In a consumer test a few years back, Henko did no better than Tide, Ariel was first with surf about 10% behind. Henko was 10% behind surf by the scoring used in the review.

Coldest temperature you can run either Ariel or surf is 40 degrees as 40-60 is where enzymes work best, higher than that kills them off, lower does not fully activate them, so washing colder than 40 isn't going to clean as well and you cannot use quick cycles as enzymes need at least 20 minutes to do their work. Enzymes were introduced to clean better at lower temperatures ie less than 60. They should work well for a good majority of cases without need of brush & soap.

I noticed that they started with 6 kg capacities and above. I wanted something that was a bit high-end, with fairly advanced features, but not overly expensive. About 35K or below. I was attracted to the 6.5 kg machine, which differs from the 6 kg variety only in RPM spin speed. The models above, 7 kg and also, another 6.5 kg, were not just more expensive, but didn't have many significant features that could warrant a serious consideration. That is how I zeroed in on the 6.5 kg / 1200 RPM machine.

Now, after looking at your post, where you had mentioned that drum volume for DD machines differs from non-DD machines only by a margin of under 10% for machines of 6.5 kg capacity, compared to 20% for machines of 6 kg and under, I deduce that 6.5 kg is probably the sweet spot where good pricing meets good features.
What about your wash load ? have you worked that out. Looking at price & features alone isn't enough.

As for high end, the only machines sold in India that qualifies is Miele. Prices of which are disproportionate to the value offered because they do not import in sufficiently large numbers. And V-zug or ISE which aren't sold in India. Top of the line siemens or LG (60-80k) would best be considered high end of the mid-range as far as washers go.

However, there is one peculiar aspect about LG machines, that I noted, which is that LG seems to change their model number quite frequently, and the machines with the newer model numbers seem to be exactly the same as the older model numbers. For instance, the 6.5 kg machine model number ended with WDP2/25 (white or silver), but one fine day, all of a sudden, I noticed that a 6.5 kg machine was listed as "New" on LG's website, with its model number ending with WDL2/25 (white or silver). I compared the "new" models with the older ones and unless I'm seriously mistaken, both the machines are exactly the same. LG seems to have tweaked some information here and there on the main page and added "New" to the product. I guess this might be a tactical move to lure more potential customers.
There is a difference between that 6.5kg WDP & WDL machine, the WDP wants a minimum water pressure of 1 bar whereas the WDL only needs 0.3 bar. So how high is your overhead water tank from where the machine will be located ?

The WDP is also about 4cm deeper than the WDL leading me to think its got a slightly bigger drum. If so then the bosch/siemens is still 12% larger instead of 20%. And it costs more than a 7kg white model but isn't as big going by LG's MRP prices. I don't why they are asking so much for that WDP model.

So we have two machines with a 6.5kg capacity at different prices and drum sizes.

You had mentioned that the LG's have replaceable spiders, while the Bosch/Siemens have the spider attached to the drum and hence require the drum to be replaced as well. This definitely seems to be the biggest advantage that LG has over Bosch/Siemens. But it depends on how much the spiders cost. I read somewhere that Siemens' drum costs about 7.5K to replace (though I don't know for sure).
Service center in your city is the best place to ask.

Drum for siemens is less than drum +spider for LG. It's only if the spider breaks and the drum is ok that the LG works out less.

For UK prices, LG vs Siemens (see under spare parts and click the tabs below to see exploded views), these are UK models to get some idea. They don't do 5 or 6 kg models in the UK, minimum size over there is 7kg.

On another forum i read that to change the bearings on the LG, the rear outer tub also had to be purchased which increases the price for a bearings change significantly. I did not understand why the rear outer tub is also required as bearings are sold separately. This remains to be confirmed.

You had mentioned that after-sales service is better in Tier 1 cities, than in Tier 2. I don't think this may be entirely true because I have read absolutely woeful tales from customers of Siemens, who are senior citizens, and belong to Tier 1 cities like mine. I can't imagine what citizens belonging to Tier 2 cities must be enduring. However, I noticed too that there are very negligible people disappointed with LG's service.

I also noticed that almost every single review I have read about LG's performance and wash quality has only been good to excellent.
It's all anecdotal. YMMV. It's only when things don't work out that people start complaining.

Regarding a link for multiple drum breakages, I noted this aspect in a review of electrical / electronic gadgets where someone had enquired about purchasing a Siemens machine and wanted a review, and the reviewer stated about multiple drum breakages. Besides, there are numerous consumer complaints on many websites, which validate this, though it is not clear what actually caused this, nor do the complaints elaborate on this.
Hard water and underdosing or cheap detergent will corrode the spider faster. I've been trying to figure out how to measure water hardness. Apparently there are paper strips you can use that change colour which can then be compared to a chart. But i've had no luck locating something like this locally.

Thanks for providing the link to show the differences between DD and non-DD machines. I was flabbergasted to note that the reviewer had even used the word "rubbish" in one of his sentences. I can't believe that DD, like 6 motion technology, is nothing but a marketing ploy by LG!
LG prolly do something unique, whether its all that much better than the competition when it comes to cleaning isn't verified.

I was also very astonished to note that all machines under 60K are manufactured in China! Incredible! I can't believe I wanted to purchase an LG machine made in China, of all places! Likewise with the Siemens machines where only those above 60K and above are made in Germany. I'm not quite sure how to react to all this...
Why ?

Lots of things are made in china as its cheaper. What matters is who manages it. Would you pay 10k more if it were not made in china for the same features etc.

Regarding 6 motion technology, I was wondering if you had any information about how many motions are associated with wash cycles, other than cotton. Also, regarding IQ drives, there are several drives starting from IQ100 to IQ800. Why are they numbered in multiples of 100, and how do these motors differ from each other?
This is the power of marketing it infects your thought process with words that you can't get out. The only people who know the difference are those with access to service manuals.

Siemens uses a term known as varioperfect : save up to 30% of energy with ecoPerfect or up to 60% of time with speedPerfect.

no idea why they use that numbering but its siemens way of distinguishing their models. Everything below IQ700 uses motors with brushes. IQ700 & above use the IQdrive brushless motor. All 8 kg models.

blr_p, thank you for providing the guide to stain removal. I'm primarily referring to one type of stain, which is blood stain. The guide says to treat with "Ace Vivactive Washbooster". I have never heard of this before, nor do I know what this is. I don't believe this is available in India. I have done pre-treatment, but it doesn't work for me. Atleast for me, it doesn't. However, the blood stains get removed nearly 100% of the times when some detergent soap is applied directly on the stains, and rubbed manually with a brush. Sometimes, this has to be done twice in succession. This takes only about 10-15 seconds, maybe even less. However, the bigest drawback is that the rubbed area becomes "white" in colour, with white patches in that area. For white clothes, the rubbed area becomes noticeably whiter, compared to the surrounding areas, and for coloured clothes, they become even more visible, and are very unsightly and ugly, no matter what the fabric. For slightly delicate clothes, this process even damages / tears the rubbed area. These happen (sometimes) even in good quality clothes, or even bed sheets or pillow covers.

In another instance, even small dark spots (not blood) on a light coloured shirt do not get removed. Pre-treatment was done for several hours, and for the first time, even "Vanish" was used. But it was of no use, as no amount of pre-treatment could remove those spots, neither did hand wash, with moderate rubbing done on those spots with a brush, and the same procedure followed from start to finish, the next day as well. So what I'm trying to say is that pre-treatment doesn't seem to work for all stains. For me, it didn't.

By conventional washing machines / conventional motions, I was primarily referring to top loaders. Front loaders do clean better, but I don't see how they could remove stains when hand wash couldn't. That was why I was searching for a washing machine that could primarily remove stains, especially a front loader, as they are slightly better off compared to top loaders.

The LG had the 6-motion technology, which caught my eye. It also had an option called "Baby Care/Medic Rinse", which supposedly claims to remove stains and all bacteria and enzymes, but I'm not sure how effective this really is. The Siemens is, supposedly, the first washing machine in the world to have an "Auto Stain Removal System (ASR)" that claims to remove 14 types of stains, or "Anti Stain Automatic" with 16 stain options (not sure what the difference is between these two features). But these features are only available in high-end models, and not in mid-range or lower-end models. Is it a given that mid-range or lower-end models cannot remove stains, or are not suited for that job? I guess Siemens is trying to say that if you want features, you have to pay for it. The Siemens machines with the "Auto Stain Removal System" or "Anti Stain Automatic" are extremely expensive, with prices shooting through the exosphere! I truly cannot comprehend what it is that these machines have that removes 14 or 16 types of stains, that other machines in their manufacturing range cannot. Is it something related to technology, or some other reason?

I then decided that I shouldn't settle for any low or mid-range models, but should try to get a machine with farily advanced features, but doesn't cost a bomb. Apparently, the notion / perception is that the more expensive the machine, the better the features, better the performance, and better the satisfaction for the consumer. Atleast, this is what Siemens or LG is trying to portray, that quality comes at a price. Maybe this is also why only high-end models of LG or Siemens are manufactured in their respective countries of origin - Korea or Germany - and the mid-end to lower-end machines are manufactured elsewhere. Or maybe, there is another reason to this.

The Siemens claims to have features like varioPerfect / ecoPerfect / speedPerfect, that could save energy or time. But this is not entirely true and there is a downside to these, in that in order to accommodate these features, apparently, certain unforeseen drawbacks have to be encountered , one of them being more electricity used (especially when trying to save time), to "compensate" for utilising these features.

Actually, I don't have any aversion to LG machines made in China. But the general (mis)conception(?) is that products manufactured in China are probably the cheapest, compared to those manufactured in other countries, and also have many technology-rich features contained in them, but are they durable and reliable? That is almost always the question posed when one talks about products manufactured in China, as they generally do not exude confidence as far as durability and reliability are concerned. I had mentioned in my first post here that the design of Siemens, including their choice of electrical / electronic components and construction is very professional and impressive. In contrast, the electrical / electronic components in an LG are flimsy and of inferior quality, and very unprofessional designed. This was based on reviews dismantling / disassembling both machines. Even the detergent drawer in an LG is not sturdy enough (I believe this was also displayed in a video online, apart from a review). Could this be the effects of "Manufactured in China", I don't know. But this is not to generalise and say that the LG (or Siemens) machines manufactured in countries other than their "home country" are not durable and unreliable. If sincere attempts are made by LG to manufacture and provide high quality products to their consumers (despite their low to mid-range machines being manufactured in China, compared to high-end machines that are manufactured in Korea), and if their consumers are happy, then more power to them.

Last edited:
@blr_p

Thanks for providing an in depth information on FL and TL machines.

Recently my SIEMENS Model WM07A160ME conked off due to overloading.

The technician gave a repair bill of Rs.10-11K. Any Chance that you might be able to understand what he has written on the Bill. Also is the price justified. Scan copy for your reference.

Attachments

• SIEMENS_Job_Card1.jpg
    SIEMENS_Job_Card1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 820
Recently my SIEMENS Model WM07A160ME conked off due to overloading.
Can you confirm that model number again ? because it does not match the one on the bill.

On the bill it looks like WM07A165IN/04

You can find that number here

Hc0PQZP.jpg

The technician gave a repair bill of Rs.10-11K. Any Chance that you might be able to understand what he has written on the Bill. Also is the price justified. Scan copy for your reference.
I'm having trouble understanding his writing for the parts billed at Rs.8630 & Rs.1300

The drain pump is reasonable.

Also it's not clear what he has written under fault reported. Do you remember what he said he fixed, what did the parts he replaced look like ? if you could contact him then he will spell out what he's written there.

blr_p, thank you for providing the guide to stain removal. I'm primarily referring to one type of stain, which is blood stain. The guide says to treat with "Ace Vivactive Washbooster". I have never heard of this before, nor do I know what this is. I don't believe this is available in India. I have done pre-treatment, but it doesn't work for me. Atleast for me, it doesn't. However, the blood stains get removed nearly 100% of the times when some detergent soap is applied directly on the stains, and rubbed manually with a brush. Sometimes, this has to be done twice in succession. This takes only about 10-15 seconds, maybe even less. However, the bigest drawback is that the rubbed area becomes "white" in colour, with white patches in that area. For white clothes, the rubbed area becomes noticeably whiter, compared to the surrounding areas, and for coloured clothes, they become even more visible, and are very unsightly and ugly, no matter what the fabric. For slightly delicate clothes, this process even damages / tears the rubbed area. These happen (sometimes) even in good quality clothes, or even bed sheets or pillow covers.
I guess that Ace product isn't available in India. The increased whiteness you are referring to is because the soap you used has whiteness boosters or optical brighteners. All the soap bars & cheap detergents have them.

How about with other methods ? You are using just one out of a possible eight other ways. Method 3 or enzyme means use ariel or surf as both contain enzymes.

The difficult thing with blood stains is the earlier you catch them the easier it is. Not always possible. Reading around they say to use cold water and not hot otherwise the proteins sets and is harder to remove.

In another instance, even small dark spots (not blood) on a light coloured shirt do not get removed. Pre-treatment was done for several hours, and for the first time, even "Vanish" was used. But it was of no use, as no amount of pre-treatment could remove those spots, neither did hand wash, with moderate rubbing done on those spots with a brush, and the same procedure followed from start to finish, the next day as well. So what I'm trying to say is that pre-treatment doesn't seem to work for all stains. For me, it didn't.
Sounds like mildew ? hydrogen peroxide was suggested but you will have to experiment with this gently as its a bleach too.

By conventional washing machines / conventional motions, I was primarily referring to top loaders. Front loaders do clean better, but I don't see how they could remove stains when hand wash couldn't. That was why I was searching for a washing machine that could primarily remove stains, especially a front loader, as they are slightly better off compared to top loaders.
If you're looking for a machine that can do this without pre-treatment then i'm sceptical because the effort is disproportionate to unaffected areas and very specific to the stain concerned. Directly treating the affected area is the best way.

What machine are you currently using ?

The LG had the 6-motion technology, which caught my eye. It also had an option called "Baby Care/Medic Rinse", which supposedly claims to remove stains and all bacteria and enzymes, but I'm not sure how effective this really is. The Siemens is, supposedly, the first washing machine in the world to have an "Auto Stain Removal System (ASR)" that claims to remove 14 types of stains, or "Anti Stain Automatic" with 16 stain options (not sure what the difference is between these two features). But these features are only available in high-end models, and not in mid-range or lower-end models. Is it a given that mid-range or lower-end models cannot remove stains, or are not suited for that job? I guess Siemens is trying to say that if you want features, you have to pay for it. The Siemens machines with the "Auto Stain Removal System" or "Anti Stain Automatic" are extremely expensive, with prices shooting through the exosphere! I truly cannot comprehend what it is that these machines have that removes 14 or 16 types of stains, that other machines in their manufacturing range cannot. Is it something related to technology, or some other reason?
The more expensive machines make it a little more convenient. Besides you mentioned just one stain, so are the remaining ones worth the premium. Pre-treatment is what you do. Does not matter which machine you use.

medic rinse is one more rinse in addition to the default three. Baby care is a higher temperature wash. Don't expect any anti-bacterial action below 60 degrees. Boil washes are most effective but require fabric that can withstand those temperatures. Failing which there is 60 degrees.

Regarding the 6 motion and how it works. I looked around and could not find much and then had an idea.

The patents office !

If LG wants to sell such a machine and prevent others from copying it then a patent needs to be filed. Sure enough a search yielded an abstact with the following..

A laundry machine and a control method thereof are provided in which laundering ability may be improved while also improving efficiency and noise/vibration. The laundry machine employs a plurality of drum motions by varying drum rotational speed, drum rotational direction, and drum starting and stopping point, to provide different motion of laundry items in the drum.
Sounds like 6 motion. Actually LG has filed 5 patents with similar abstracts. Take a look at the following pdf's and the complete description in particular if you want to know more about 6 motion in all its excruciating detail.

CLAIMS

DRAWINGS

COMPLETE DESCRIPTION

I now know that that when it comes to non-cotton cycles, they mention that a combination of motions is used so as to reduce damage. The scrubbing motion which is the most intense will be left out from the synthetics and mix cycle. So not 6 motion for those cycles but a combination of 4-5 others.

Presumably Siemens has a patent as well and you may come to know more about 'auto stain removal' as well.

I then decided that I shouldn't settle for any low or mid-range models, but should try to get a machine with farily advanced features, but doesn't cost a bomb. Apparently, the notion / perception is that the more expensive the machine, the better the features, better the performance, and better the satisfaction for the consumer. Atleast, this is what Siemens or LG is trying to portray, that quality comes at a price. Maybe this is also why only high-end models of LG or Siemens are manufactured in their respective countries of origin - Korea or Germany - and the mid-end to lower-end machines are manufactured elsewhere. Or maybe, there is another reason to this.
The higher end is done closer to home. Only present in 8kg machines.

The Siemens claims to have features like varioPerfect / ecoPerfect / speedPerfect, that could save energy or time. But this is not entirely true and there is a downside to these, in that in order to accommodate these features, apparently, certain unforeseen drawbacks have to be encountered , one of them being more electricity used (especially when trying to save time), to "compensate" for utilising these features.
Best explanation i've found for the above is here.

you want shortest time, least water use & least energy use then pick two as you cannot get all.

I had mentioned in my first post here that the design of Siemens, including their choice of electrical / electronic components and construction is very professional and impressive. In contrast, the electrical / electronic components in an LG are flimsy and of inferior quality, and very unprofessional designed. This was based on reviews dismantling / disassembling both machines. Even the detergent drawer in an LG is not sturdy enough (I believe this was also displayed in a video online, apart from a review). Could this be the effects of "Manufactured in China", I don't know. But this is not to generalise and say that the LG (or Siemens) machines manufactured in countries other than their "home country" are not durable and unreliable. If sincere attempts are made by LG to manufacture and provide high quality products to their consumers (despite their low to mid-range machines being manufactured in China, compared to high-end machines that are manufactured in Korea), and if their consumers are happy, then more power to them.
You have to compare like with like. Compare a siemens with an LG in the same price range. You won't find a night & day difference between them. The main differentiator is whether you can get spares a few years down the line or not. The repair guys tend to favour Bosch because of this reason. They say its been difficult to get parts of the Koreans, but that is changing. LG is ahead of Samsung in this regard.

I'd seen a dissassembly of an 5yr old LG where the commentary was about how cheaply made it was given the state it was in. Well, what conditions was it used in to begin with. if it was abused or not properly operated then that will take its toll regardless of the machine. This was for a drum spider replacement. The machine was bought cheap and the spider was sourced and repaired. No problem getting the part.

I saw a bosch model with a plastic door latch. That little bit that sticks out of the door to lock it. Plastic ? seriously. How long is that expected to last.

blr_p... Bravo! Never did I ever think that the information I had hoped to find could be found at the patents office. It just isn't the conventional route to take, is it? It was terrific on your part to try to access this information and provide it for me, and others as well. Thank you.

I'm not sure why LG had filed 5 patents, but yes, the documents definitely appear to be describing the 6 motion technology. It truly is excruciatingly painful to read! The technology is supposedly revolutionary - first of its kind in the world - and you would think LG would be happy to provide as much information as they can regarding their "achievements". but rather surprisingly, they have only shown through videos what each motion does. A bit more information accessible to their prospective customers could have helped a lot.

It is extremely unlikely that the "Auto Stain Removal System (ASR)" or "Anti Stain Automatic" features provided by Siemens could be available similarly, through patents filed, because, rather than being a unique concept like the 6 motion technology, stain removal seems to be a very generic concept common to many washing machines (how many of them are indeed adept at removing stains is an entirely different question), and Siemens probably have not publicised these advanced features as much as LG's 6 motion technology.

Thank you for also providing the link to "Washing Machine Times And Quick Wash". Probably the biggest feature of front loaders of Bosch/Siemens'LG that attracted me to them apart from German technology, Direct Drive, 6 motion etc.. was the Super 15/30 feature in Bosch/Siemens , or Quick 30 in LG. Since most of our clothes are lightly soiled (except for clothes with stains), and these features are meant for "lightly soiled clothes", I was impressed, believing that if I purchase a machine with these features, and use them for 15-30 minutes, for one or two loads, the washing process could be completed quickly. Hence, not just time, but energy / electricity could be saved too, and thereby, the life of the washing machine (including bearings and drum spider) could be increased. But could I have been any more wrong. Reading the link to "Washing Machine Times And Quick Wash" and what actually qualifies as "lightly soiled clothes" made me realise that this was just another gimmick. Just like the information on the misconception involving the concept of "Direct Drive", here too, the author has described the claims by machines regarding their quick washes as pure and utter rubbish. Yet another myth busted. It was very disappointing to find another feature in washing machines that I was attracted to, being ridiculed and rubbished by experts. But seriously, how many people, being impressed by features like Direct Drive, Quick Wash, 6 motion et al., could be aware of these "truths" prior to making a purchase?

You had mentioned that you had seen a Bosch model with a plastic door latch, and wondering how long it was expected to last. In all probability, it must have been one of their lower to mid-range models. Once again, this only reaffirms what Siemens / Bosch / LG, or any washing machine manufacturer, subtly indicate to their customers through a caveat - If you want quality, performance or features, you can get them all, but only if you are willing to pay the price. They are completely justified in doing so because they are the manufacturers and they can quote any value they deem fit for their products, but the question is - how many of the average, ordinary, everyday people could, and would accede and oblige...

Last edited:
Phew! That was a lot of reading material to go through...

So, @blr_p what would you recommend for around the 30-35k budget? Height of the water tank being around 30 feet from the WM and the water pressure being around 0.8 -1 bar? My old Haier WM has conked off and need to buy a new one soon.

My old Haier WM has conked off and need to buy a new one soon.
What was the drum volume of this Haier model ? were you happy with it or wished it was bigger.

Can you measure the diameter of its drum and the depth. Weight ratings tend to be different between manufacturers and are not a reliable indicator of volume. Volume is what you care about as that determines how much you can do in one go.

About hardness of water. There is no universal agreement as to what constitutes 'hard'. Different countries have different levels for what is considered as hard. If you're using bore well water then ppm's or mg/l are likely to be in the 200-300 range. This qualifies as hard or even borderline 'very hard' as far as you're concerned. You can get a test done if you want to know more from here. Water quality in Bangalore is highly variable depending on the area and especially if you rely on water tankers.

This means you will have to use more detergent to counteract the hardness to get a good cleaning result. And you will have residue building up on the drum spider which over time will corrode it and cause it to fail. Around 3-5 years. Alternatively you can explore whether a water softener can be attached to the machine to give it more life.

How long did your Haier last and when you say conked out what do you mean ? what is the nature of the damage and is it beyond economical repair.

Last edited:
What was the drum volume of this Haier model ? were you happy with it or wished it was bigger.

Can you measure the diameter of its drum and the depth. Weight ratings tend to be different between manufacturers and are not a reliable indicator of volume. Volume is what you care about as that determines how much you can do in one go.

About hardness of water. There is no universal agreement as to what constitutes 'hard'. Different countries have different levels for what is considered as hard. If you're using bore well water then ppm's or mg/l are likely to be in the 200-300 range. This qualifies as hard or even borderline 'very hard' as far as you're concerned. You can get a test done if you want to know more from here. Water quality in Bangalore is highly variable depending on the area and especially if you rely on water tankers.

This means you will have to use more detergent to counteract the hardness to get a good cleaning result. And you will have residue building up on the drum spider which over time will corrode it and cause it to fail. Around 3-5 years. Alternatively you can explore whether a water softener can be attached to the machine to give it more life.

How long did your Haier last and when you say conked out what do you mean ? what is the nature of the damage and is it beyond economical repair.

The Haier was a 5.5 Kg front loading model HA655T. Can't find any info about this model online. It was pretty old maybe around 8-9 years, not sure.

The drum is broken and there were a few other problems as well like the door not closing properly etc.

The hardness of the water we'll assume is not that high since we have boiled the water a few times for various purposes and not much white residue is left behind afterwards.

I'd like to get the highest capacity possible within the budget. We usually use only one or 2 of the wash cycles.

Do you have access to the machine ? Just use a measuring tape (like the one tailors use) to measure the inner diameter and depth of the drum. Give me those two values.

They are not mentioned even for new machines, when i was in the showroom i just measured them myself. Some vendors exaggerate the size of their drums.

Otherwise i can't tell you how much bigger the new one is going to be. Could turn out to be the same size. The direct drive ones could even be smaller at this budget.

It's still not clear to me whether you were happy with the Haiers volume or want something bigger ?

8-9 years is pretty good for hard water assuming you were using bore well water for the entire duration.

Last edited:
Do you have access to the machine ? Just use a measuring tape (like the one tailors use) to measure the inner diameter and depth of the drum. Give me those two values.

They are not mentioned even for new machines, when i was in the showroom i just measured them myself. Some vendors exaggerate the size of their drums.

Otherwise i can't tell you how much bigger the new one is going to be. Could turn out to be the same size. The direct drive ones could even be smaller at this budget.

It's still not clear to me whether you were happy with the Haiers volume or want something bigger ?

8-9 years is pretty good for hard water assuming you were using bore well water for the entire duration.

Unfortunately i don't. It was given for repair and and since it couldn't be repaired we've disposed it off from there. The Haier's volume was alright but would definitely like something with more capacity.

Could you please suggest something which has the highest capacity for the budget (30-35k). Willing to stretch the budget a little more if necessary.

Highest capacity for the weight rating are either Bosch or Siemens 6kg. if your Haier was belt driven chances are it will be similar in size. So look at the 7kg models too. At 7kg the LG is also a contender. Below that size LG are all the same and will likely be smaller than what you had.

7kg will be in the 39-42k range.

Panasonics are cheaper but like samsung are relatively new to the game so not in the same league as LG or Bosch/siemens in terms of support.

One curious thing i've noticed with the bosch/siemens is the models with no digital display are not susceptible to water tank height requirements. They'll work even with a tank lower than 30 feet. However ones with digital displays are more strict. Though at the height you mentioned ithink you will be ok.

Last edited:
The hardness of the water we'll assume is not that high since we have boiled the water a few times for various purposes and not much white residue is left behind afterwards..
If there was no residue when boiling it means the permanent hardness was low. Thing is you won't be washing clothes at that temp but rather lower. Well, you can do boil washes but only for durable cottons.

How did you find cleaning performance ? did you have to dose at hard water levels or just the minimum dosage.

Which detergents did you use and which worked best.

Back