Want to Buy TV from Dubai. Who to Use?

One thing mutant, you said that you had used Shopandship before. That means you have an account with them, right? I was looking for a way to send a mail to them, to ask them what the final cost would be, but I can't find a mail address anywhere. The only way to contact them seems to be if you have an account with them (or call local office). I went to make an account, but not only does it require payment (which I don't want to do unless I know I am going to use them), but a PayPal account, which I don't have. Can you drop them a mail or create a support ticket asking them about the price? I am putting the details of the package below:

Item: Sony Bravia TV - KDL43X8000D 43"
Cost: AED 2749
Package dimensions: 6.22 x 41.44 x 27.81 in
Package weight: 34.7 lbs
Ship to: India from Dubai

Yes, I have an account with them, I think I paid $5 one time fee for it, there would be coupons floating on the internet to get this price. I can email them if you like, but you can try contacting them directly first. Like other sites, they don't really have the option to know exact price or deal with a fixed price for the entire thing, they do however will genuinely ask you to pay, what they end up paying customs, they will also provide custom slip if you ask for it. But if you talk to her, I think she can tell you the approximate charges or connect you to someone who can give you the approximate charges.

Code:
Sneha.Nair@aramex.com
Sneha Nair
Operations Executive (India Regional Office)
Shop and Ship Team
Aramex India Pvt. Ltd.
tel: +91 22 39419900 Ext 1758
Hand Phone: +91 7738350773

Yes, I have an account with them, I think I paid $5 one time fee for it, there would be coupons floating on the internet to get this price. I can email them if you like, but you can try contacting them directly first. Like other sites, they don't really have the option to know exact price or deal with a fixed price for the entire thing, they do however will genuinely ask you to pay, what they end up paying customs, they will also provide custom slip if you ask for it. But if you talk to her, I think she can tell you the approximate charges or connect you to someone who can give you the approximate charges.

Code:
Sneha.Nair@aramex.com
Sneha Nair
Operations Executive (India Regional Office)
Shop and Ship Team
Aramex India Pvt. Ltd.
tel: +91 22 39419900 Ext 1758
Hand Phone: +91 7738350773

Hmm. I think it might be best if you contacted them on this, since you are a registered and paid member, and a past customer, they might be more receptive to getting answers on your behalf, compared to someone who isn't. Just send them a mail asking about the shipping cost and the customs duty, with the details of the package I gave in my last post. Shippers often use both dimensions and weight to calculate the cost, but SnS calculator takes only weight. Get them to confirm what the shipping cost for the parcel will be, and that, in this case, it will be based on only weight. Also make it clear that it's a TV, and ask them what the customs duty will be (and whether there is anyway to reduce it :D), and whether there will be any other charges levied.

I wish SnS would give a solid, final price quote like Overstock and iShopInternational do. That way there is no chance of getting hit by some dumb customs mistake or something like that. By the way, does SnS also purchase the item from you, if you don't have a card that's accepted internationally?

Hmm. I think it might be best if you contacted them on this, since you are a registered and paid member, and a past customer, they might be more receptive to getting answers on your behalf, compared to someone who isn't. Just send them a mail asking about the shipping cost and the customs duty, with the details of the package I gave in my last post. Shippers often use both dimensions and weight to calculate the cost, but SnS calculator takes only weight. Get them to confirm what the shipping cost for the parcel will be, and that, in this case, it will be based on only weight. Also make it clear that it's a TV, and ask them what the customs duty will be (and whether there is anyway to reduce it :D), and whether there will be any other charges levied.

I wish SnS would give a solid, final price quote like Overstock and iShopInternational do. That way there is no chance of getting hit by some dumb customs mistake or something like that. By the way, does SnS also purchase the item from you, if you don't have a card that's accepted internationally?

Sns does not purchase the item for you. Think of them as courier and custom clearence service and if you can ask the Dubai dealer to send an invoice for lower amount, you will most probably end up saving on customs ( should be convincing to the custom guy doing it, so shouldnt be too low )

I have mailed them for estimate, most probably they will just give standard custom and shipping rate back. So, lets see.

Sns does not purchase the item for you. Think of them as courier and custom clearence service and if you can ask the Dubai dealer to send an invoice for lower amount, you will most probably end up saving on customs ( should be convincing to the custom guy doing it, so shouldnt be too low )

I have mailed them for estimate, most probably they will just give standard custom and shipping rate back. So, lets see.

I don't know if a big chain like Jumbo Electronics will do any invoice "manipulation".

When you mailed SnS, did you ask for confirmation that they will ship according to only the package weight. Because if they take "volumetric weight", and it's more (probable), then we could end up paying a lot more. Their shipping costs are already too high. If not the customs rate, they should be able to give an exact price for the shipping at least.

I don't know if a big chain like Jumbo Electronics will do any invoice "manipulation".

When you mailed SnS, did you ask for confirmation that they will ship according to only the package weight. Because if they take "volumetric weight", and it's more (probable), then we could end up paying a lot more. Their shipping costs are already too high. If not the customs rate, they should be able to give an exact price for the shipping at least.

With your specs and a price of AED 2049, I got this

Code:
The custom duty on TV is 29.47% on the assessable value which is approximately 13438 INR and shipping charges for Dubai are 7.5$ first 500gms and 6$ for every additional 500gms plus  15% service tax which is approximately 14909.17 INR  .

With your specs and a price of AED 2049, I got this

Code:
The custom duty on TV is 29.47% on the assessable value which is approximately 13438 INR and shipping charges for Dubai are 7.5$ first 500gms and 6$ for every additional 500gms plus  15% service tax which is approximately 14909.17 INR  .

I am thoroughly confused.

Why did you give the price as 2049? The price is 2749.
They say that the custom duty on TV is 29.47%, but the duty is 36.05%.

But then even the approx. value they have given, 13438 INR aligns to ~36%.
2049x18.47 (AED rate)=37,853.
36.05% of 37,853=13,646.
29.47% of 37,853=11,155.

They are also adding 15% service tax to the shipping quote they gave through their site calculator.

I am thoroughly confused.

Why did you give the price as 2049? The price is 2749.
They say that the custom duty on TV is 29.47%, but the duty is 36.05%.

But then even the approx. value they have given, 13438 INR aligns to ~36%.
2049x18.47 (AED rate)=37,853.
36.05% of 37,853=13,646.
29.47% of 37,853=11,155.

They are also adding 15% service tax to the shipping quote they gave through their site calculator.
I didn't want to give out the actual price, in case we are able to adjust it from the dealer on the invoice. But, it should still reflect the calculations in case we give out the actual price.

Also, about the % duty, I am not sure, maybe they did calculation right, but wrongly copied the % from somewhere. If you want, I can ask them to explain, but honestly, it already looks like, they are going to be costly compared to other options you have.

I didn't want to give out the actual price, in case we are able to adjust it from the dealer on the invoice. But, it should still reflect the calculations in case we give out the actual price.

Also, about the % duty, I am not sure, maybe they did calculation right, but wrongly copied the % from somewhere. If you want, I can ask them to explain, but honestly, it already looks like, they are going to be costly compared to other options you have.
Ah, ok.

The shipping quote they gave takes into account both the weight and the dimensions, right? Hate for them to quote based on the weight and then increase the shipping cost once they see the box, if we were to go with them.

It is looking to be significantly more expensive. 76k from Overstock and iShop, and 83k from SnS. I also doubt that big electronics chains will "adjust" the bill. I am beginning to wonder if the 1 year warranty is even worth it. Maybe just roll the dice...

I guess the possible future use as TV > warranty consideration. And yes, I don't think they will increase shipping rate based on the box size, since I gave them the dimension and also double checked with them about the box size,

I guess the possible future use as TV > warranty consideration. And yes, I don't think they will increase shipping rate based on the box size, since I gave them the dimension and also double checked with them about the box size,
Use as a TV is certainly something to keep in mind, and my estimate for getting it from SnS was already around 82k. Making it 83.x doesn't really matter that much I suppose. Maybe we can ask SnS and even Jumbo if they will give a little discount if we buy two :p.

Leaning towards getting it from Dubai. Haven't heard back from Sony yet, which is odd, since the last time they had replied the next day (when I had asked about it being launched in India). I just resent the mails.

There is no television mention on their website
International Warranty in India, Pakistan & Philippines is valid for 1 year since date of purchase on Home Audio, Cybershot, Handycam, Alpha, Action Cam, Walkman, Wireless Speakers & Car Audio Products

So I don't think Sony India honour the warranty

btw Please check the news article

There is no television mention on their website
International Warranty in India, Pakistan & Philippines is valid for 1 year since date of purchase on Home Audio, Cybershot, Handycam, Alpha, Action Cam, Walkman, Wireless Speakers & Car Audio Products

So I don't think Sony India honour the warranty

btw Please check the news article

I had already seen the categories they mentioned, but take a look just above that:
"Local Warranty in UAE is valid for 1 year since date of purchase on Home Audio, Cybershot, Handycam, Alpha, Action Cam, Walkman, Wireless Speakers & Car Audio Products."

Then they give the local warranty on Bravia under that, then follows the Bridge warranty information for Home audio etc. that you have quoted. So thay have given only the Bridge counterpart to the local warranty of first line. That's why I mailed Jumbo to find out, and I was contacted by a Mr. Joy Bagas | Coordinator – Customer Centricity - Retail

I will just put the mails, with unnecessary parts cut out:

My Mail:
On browsing your warranty page (http://www.jumbo.ae/customer-service/service-and-warranty) I noticed that you have a "Sony Bridge Warranty" for India. Does this cover all Sony items purchased from your store?

If I gifted a Sony Bravia TV, bought from your store, to someone in India, could warranty be claimed on it in India, should the need arise?

His reply:
Thank you for contacting Jumbo Electronics.

With respect to your query, kindly note that Sony Bravia carry 1 year international warranty and it is covered in India but not all Sony Products.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

My second mail asking for clarification. He replied with the body of my mail, with his answer underneath in bold, so I am putting them together:
Thank you for your prompt reply. I am delighted to learn that Sony Bravia TVs purchased from you have warranty valid in India!
Regarding the same, there are some points I would appreciate having clarified:

1) Will the international warranty on the TV be valid on both purchases from your physical stores as well as your online store?

ü Yes.

2) If the TV is bought for gifting to India, will I have to ask for some specific international warranty card at the time of purchase? Or will the normal purchase invoice be enough? If something special is required, how do I request that for online purchases?

ü Purchase invoice is enough when claiming warranty in India. If further info/details needed, you may email me or serve@jumbo.ae requesting for the same.

3) In case warranty needs to invoked in India, do I contact you first, or will the local Sony service centers directly honor the warranty based on the Dubai invoice?

ü You may proceed directly to Sony authorized service center. If issues arises, you may email to Sony.service@jumbo.ae

4) Your website warranty page mentions “All international warranty is applicable for carry in service only”. I am correct to assume this means carry in to the local service center?

ü Yes. Customer must take the product to the authorized service center and collect after repair.

Additionally, do you/Jumbo Electronics facilitate shipping to India? Can I order the TV online and have Jumbo ship directly to an address in India?

ü Regretfully we don’t ship/deliver outside UAE. You may have to arrange for that personally.

Also, the article you posted if about international warranty not being valid in India anymore. That is known for a long time. This bridge warranty is something different. It applies only to Sony products sold in UAE and the warranty claimed in India, Pakistan and Philippines. If the product in bought in the US or UK, it won't be covered by warranty in India. If it's bought in UAE, and taken to France, no warranty. The bridge warranty exists for expats, because a lot of people move to work in the UAE from India etc., and then move back.

Last edited:
Yes you are right TV comes under Home Audio categories:oops:

Why don't you email to jumbo regarding if a specific model is only available in UAE, but not locally available in India, will Sony India fulfil international warranty.

Even if they reply positively, you must verify with Sony India

Anyway, What is with warranty! if it broke down just a day after it expires, you will have to pay 50% of the total value of the product to repair :mad:

I am not sure the TV comes under Home Audio (that should be speakers, amps etc.), or any of the categories listed. It should come under Bravia, but the mail from Jumbo made it clear that it is covered.

That model is available everywhere, not just in the UAE. US, UK, Europe, rest of Asia. Only India is left out (to my great annoyance). But I get your point, and had considered it myself. What happens if the product in question isn't sold in the country where international warranty is invoked. I presume that Sony will just do what is done when a part isn't readily available i.e. order it in. It will still be better than having no warranty.

I have written mails to Sony India, Sony MEA (Middle East-Africa), Sony Asia-Pacific regarding this, first on Sunday, then again today. No answer so far. If I get no answer by tomorrow afternoon, I will write to Jumbo with my queries and ask Mr. Bagas to intercede with Sony on my behalf, and get Sony to confirm that they will honor the warranty.

I think that if something happens after the warranty expires, you just have to pay for the repair, which can be a low amount if the work/replacement part is cheap, or very high, if it's something like the panel. The warranty just protects from some defect coming to fore in the first few days.

Ok, I talked to Sony India today. Both their live chat and phone support, and they both said the same thing. On phone support I managed to get someone a little higher than the frontline help, and he said international warranty would be given if the you get a international warranty card at the time of purchase, and it mentions India as a place for the warranty. I also asked him what would happen if the specific model wasn't being sold in India, and he said that as long as there was an international warranty card, Sony would cover it.

I have written back to Jumbo about this. Let's see what they say.

So, I have finished talking to Sony and Jumbo. I appears that I was under the misapprehension that the "international warranty card" is something separate, that has to be asked for during purchase of the product. It's not. There is no such thing as an international warranty card per se, it's just the warranty card that comes with the TV, and it can either limit the warranty to either the country of sale, or specify other locations as well. And Jumbo states that all their Bravia TVs have warranty valid in India.

So that's that. Now I am going to decide between buying from Dubai and the US, given the price difference, and warranty as well as broadcast format capability.

mutant, you in? I was considering asking Jumbo to reduce the price if we buy two. Don't know if they will, but no harm in asking. Let me know if you are in, and I will ask.

Back