Want to Develop Something Similar to MS Plus Dancer - Where to Start

unni

Adept
For quite sometime, I have been thinking about developing something similar to Microsoft's Plus Dancer. I really love this app (especially Scooby). Unfortunately, it doesn't support Vista properly. I have fairly good knowledge of C++ & Java and basics of C#. But learning is not at all an issue. The problem is where should I get started? Should I start with OpenGL? Or something else. Please give me your suggestions. Even if you could direct me to an appropriate community/forum, I would be thankful.:huh:

Its your preference what you want to use.OpenGL is only an Graphics API whereas DirectX also contains Input,Sound,Music etc. OpenGL also depends on EGL for input etc depending on platform.

Remember OpenGL is an Cross platform API and its basically one huge state machine. Both Dx and OpenGL learning curve is pretty steep and knowledge of C++/C# is a must.

If you wan to learn OpenGL then OpenGL SuperBible 4th edition may help you though its outdated and a large part of the book teaches fixed function pipeline but its still good to get the foundation right. :)

Otherwise you can try 5th or later editon for recent OpenGL coverage.If you want to learn Dx then 'Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10' is an excellent read for modern DirectX.

Back