PC Peripherals Want to upgrade my 3yr old Machine for Max Payne 3, feasible?

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Currently, I have the following system config

• Intel E5300 Wolfdale 2.6GHz LGA 775
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM
  • Intel G31 onboard Graphics
  • 22"inch full HD display(1080x1920 resolution)

And, I want to try Max Payne 3 which requires the following minimum config
LOW RECOMMENDED SPECS
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Intel Dual Core 3GHz or AMD equivalent
  • 3GB System RAM
  • NVIDIA® GeForce 450 512MB RAM
  • or AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 4870 512MB RAM

Which means, I will have to buy a new Graphics Card & Add more memory to be very least. But even after that would the game be playable? or the CPU will serve as bottleneck?

Your current CPU is even lower than the one required for the game, so it may not run smoothly
For the graphic card the game requires, your CPU would not bottleneck them, because the are are on much lower side

One thing is for sure, you cannot play it at full HD resolution
So if you dont want to upgrade the whole system, just upgrade graphic card for now

See, you definitely need a gfx card to play the game. So, start with it. If there are any lags, then think about upgrading your CPU..

As for the gfx card, get the most powerful that your budget allows....

For a budget less than 10K, go for a 7770 or a 6850
For a budget of 10K, go for a 6870 or a 560
For a budget of 15K, go for a 7850 (I am using one) or a 560Ti
for a budget higher than this, go for 7870 or a 670 or a 570

This game is very nicely optimised for PC. I am playing at ultra settings with FXAA @45 FPS with majority above or at 60.... It even lets you select DX (9,10,10.1,11)
Max payne 3 loves GPU RAM..... More the better till 2GB... (but that does not mean that you should get a 4K card with 2GB RAM...).. Also, make sure you have a decent PSU to support your card.... Let us know which GFX card you decide on and we will help you with the PSU...:)

MINIMUM
System Requirements for Max Payne 3

• CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.8 Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 @ 2.4 Ghz
  • Hard Disk:
    16 Gb free
  • Sound Card:
    DirectX Compatible
  • RAM:
    1 Gb
  • Graphics:
    256 Mb nVidia GeForce 7900, ATI Radeon X1900

As I suspected, my CPU is quite low-end & my budget for graphics card is about 5k. so, Do you think I can get a decent performance out it that would be enough to play Max payne? Or to enjoy the game play, I would have upgrade the whole setup(CPU,Mobo,Ram & Gfx)?

Lastly, I don't think I will need to change the PSU as I already have Tagan TG500-U37 500W
high efficiency power supply :)

As I suspected, my CPU is quite low-end & my budget for graphics card is about 5k. so, Do you think I can get a decent performance out it that would be enough to play Max payne? Or to enjoy the game play, I would have upgrade the whole setup(CPU,Mobo,Ram & Gfx)?

Lastly, I don't think I will need to change the PSU as I already have Tagan TG500-U37 500W

I think to enjoy the game @decent settings + moderate eye cand, you must upgrade yourself to atleast the following configuration --

Intel Core i3 2100 OR AMD Phenom IIx4 955
Intel DH67BL OR AMD 880G chipset
Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GBx 2
AMD HD 6870 OR above graphics card.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Back