Want to watch youtube on dumb TV

sidk47

Disciple
Hi guys as in the title, I am having a full HD 2D non curved DUMB TV and I would like to watch youtube on it. What are my options? I checked out Google Chromecast but couldn't understand how to use it and need some clarification on it. Also, I typed "Google Chromecast" into amazon.in and was met with M company Pandora Anycast product, and again I got confused about how to use it and which one is better as the M Pandora is substantially cheaper. Hence really need your help guys. All I want to do is to watch Youtube on my TV. I don't want to download Youtube videos and load on pen drive just to be able to watch them. Looking for alternatives. Yours confusedly, Siddharth, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. Thanks guys in advance.

Hi guys as in the title, I am having a full HD 2D non curved DUMB TV and I would like to watch youtube on it. What are my options? I checked out Google Chromecast but couldn't understand how to use it and need some clarification on it. Also, I typed "Google Chromecast" into amazon.in and was met with M company Pandora Anycast product, and again I got confused about how to use it and which one is better as the M Pandora is substantially cheaper. Hence really need your help guys. All I want to do is to watch Youtube on my TV. I don't want to download Youtube videos and load on pen drive just to be able to watch them. Looking for alternatives. Yours confusedly, Siddharth, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. Thanks guys in advance.

HeySiddharth..

I am using chromecast personally on a LG TV even though i have a smart tv (not getting into why here).. but i will clear your confusion on chromecast. You need 2 things:

Firstly, you need a WiFi router. This acts as a communicating device between chromecast and any of your mobile device with which you will be playing YouTube.

Secondly, You NEED to have an active internet on that wifi router otherwise chromecast will not connect to your device.

Streaming otherwise is pretty easy that way. plus u can play from multiple mobile devices through chromecast which is cool.

P.S.: No idea about Pandora Anycast. Never used.

Buy chromecast or teewee. Chromecast is available for cheap on ebay so buy it from there from any reputed seller.

Youtube "teewee geekyrankjit" He reviews it in one video iirc

Xiaomi mi box - has chromecast built in (basically everything a chromecast can do, this thing can do) - 70$
- comes with remote having mic button.
- play videos from pen drive.
- kodi etc..

I own and recommend this.
Takes a long time to ship though...

Buy a PS3 or PS4.

Other than playing games you can use it to play Blu-Ray Disc and watch Youtube, Netflix by installing their respective apps on the console.

Another cheaper way, connect the HDMI cable from your TV port to your laptop HDMI Port. Your TV is your laptop screen now. Play whatever you want on your laptop and see it on your TV.

Last edited:
Just get the Google Chromecast 2

Its very simple to use, basically your mobile is your remote.

Google Chromecast is officially available on Flipkart, Snapdeal but not Amazon.

If you want to mainly watch Youtube and prefer to use your phone to control the device, go ahead, get the chromecast. As a google product, it will have a first class experience for youtube. I personally have 2 of them.

If you want something that works independent of your phone, then you need a Android TV set top box. These are usually not made by google but give more advantages.

Xiaomi mi box - has chromecast built in (basically everything a chromecast can do, this thing can do) - 70$
- comes with remote having mic button.
- play videos from pen drive.
- kodi etc..

I own and recommend this.
Takes a long time to ship though...
I've been waiting for Mi Box to launch in India, where did you order it from and at what price?

is there any difference in playing something on a dumb tv through a hdmi + laptop vs a tv android box ? like in terms of smoothness/quality of full hd videos etc due to different video players and codecs being used as many do enhance the videos. lot of video players have codecs that have post processing that supposedly makes the video better.

I want to buy chromecast too but it is just too expensive in india
I just want to use Netflix and maybe amazon since it is Rs500/year
Teewee is reasonable at 2k but reviews are too bad
Is there another alternative below 2k ?

is there any difference in playing something on a dumb tv through a hdmi + laptop vs a tv android box ? like in terms of smoothness/quality of full hd videos etc due to different video players and codecs being used as many do enhance the videos. lot of video players have codecs that have post processing that supposedly makes the video better.
What codecs are you talking about that do this post processing stuff?

I want to buy chromecast too but it is just too expensive in india
I just want to use Netflix and maybe amazon since it is Rs500/year
Teewee is reasonable at 2k but reviews are too bad
Is there another alternative below 2k ?

I dont think Amazon works on Chromecast, but Netflix ad Hulu do. Get a used Chromecast.

Looks like Amazon Prime Video won't work on Android TV (Mi Box) as well.
I am looking for Prime and YouTube primarily, is an Android TV Box the only option?

Back