[WANTED] Intel Core i7 Gaming System Required For 80K Max (Including monitor).

sidk47

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
• 80K. :(

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration?
1. LG Optical Drive.
2. Custom speaker set up.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping?
1. LG Optical Drive.
2. Custom speaker set up.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy?
1. Processor - Intel Core i7 920 D0 or 930 if 930 fits in budget.

2. Motherboard - Asus Rampage Extreme III.

3. Cooling - Thermal Take Ultra 120 Extreme(socket 1366) (I will consider only air cooling).

4. RAM - 3X2GB 1600MHZ (Open to recommendations). :huh: :S

5. HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 Terabyte SATA3 Desktop Storage 7200 RPM 32MB Cache.

6. Cabinet - Cooler Master ATX Case HAF 932 (RC-932-KKN1).

7. SMPS - Any good quality 750W(+) power supply (please recommend one with a economical price). :huh:

8. Monitor - Any good LCD/LED monitor for 15000->22000Rs (please recommend, would like a 16:9 aspect ratio and a maximum resolution of 1900X1200(or something like that.)). :huh: :S

9. Keyboard - Cheapest multimedia, considering Amkette.

10. Mouse - Cheapest laser wired, considering Amkette. But may go for a good mouse if the turning in GTA4 becomes smoother with a high DPI mouse. I don't know if this is the case as I think the turning in games like GTA is unsmooth due to the frame rate and not the mouse? Please clarify this for me. :huh: :S

11. GPU - Considering any generic/reference Nvidia GTX 460 1GB. This is because I will be adding a second card later in the future when the prices come down in order to SLI. Please recommend such a card at the minimum price as I can overclock it myself.

12. Steering Wheel - [OPTIONAL] Logitech Momo (Only if within budget, otherwise will buy later.)
Q: :(

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future?
• Yes, but it will have a budget of its own and will not be included in this 80K, planning to add another GTX460, nothing else.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware?
• Chennai - Ritchie Street. (PC)
• Coimbatore. (Monitor)
• Will be travelling to Chennai for a weekend for this reason.
• Not open to online purchase unless it is very much cheaper.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
• No.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Gaming.
2. Browsing.
3. Download rig, 24x7 operation.
4. Watching HD movies.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
• No particular prejudices strike me at the moment, but there is a very slim chance that they could strike when you guys start with your suggestions. But definitely not open to AMD processors, and prefer Nvidia GTX460 over ATI Radeon 5830 and the like. :p

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1. GTA IV.
2. GTA Liberty City Stories.
3. Need For Speed Shift.
4. Colin McRae Rally Dirt 2.
5. Mafia II, etc.
:D

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
• Gaming - 1900X1200.
• Desktop - Around 1024X768. Actually variable.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
• Yes.
• Will overclock for games and normalclock for everything else to save power, extend processor life and de-stress the system. I really want to overclock as I want to play GTAIV as smoothly as possible.
:D

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
• Windows 7 64 bit.
• Linux - Ubuntu Latest.

Please help me out guys. Am in desperate need of help from the PC buying experts. I will be getting this system for my 25th birthday on 14th October. Will be traveling to Chennai on 15th and 16th for the same. Your help is much appreciated guys… ;)

I would suggest u get the stuff online rather than travelling all the way to Chennai just for purchasing the stuff.
Its better to concentrate on graphics muscle and stick with i-5 750 rather than overspending of CPU+MOBO+RAM and skimping on GPU.
Its better to go for a SLI setup immediately rather than get a card now and get another an year later as by then there would be better, powerful and more power efficient single card making the SLI setup not so much a VFM option.

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor Core i-5 760(2.8Ghz, 4 cores) 10200
Motherboard MSI P55-GD65 7900
RAM Corsair XMS3 4GB Kit (2Gx2) 1600MHz DDR3 5400
HDD 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 3100
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO 3750
GPU (SLI)2*GTX460 768MB GDDR5 MSI Cyclone 23500
Monitor DELL U2311H(IPS Panel) 15000
Cabinet CM HAF-922 6800
PSU/SMPS Corsair TX750 7000
Key Board Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 1100
Mouse Logitech MX518 1500
Mouse pad RantoPad H1 600
Total 82550

This would make a excellent ~80k gaming rig though it exceeds budget slightly. U can slightly skimp on the CPU cooler and go for VFM cooler in the 2-2.5k if u have a strict 80k budget.

Get the i7-950 / 3.06 GHz. The price has just dropped from $599 to $299 and the new pricing (i.e.Rs.15400) is available on deltapage too.

+1 to i7 950 its an awesome deal... Dont get sli right away... get just one 260 for now and another once the price drops... also u dont need to overclock any of these processors to play GTA IV... :)

Better to go for what DarkAngel suggested ... the fact is richi street if you are coming here all the way doesn't stock high end motherboards ... after going up and down the street for 3 hours i found one shop that had a Gigabyte x58A- UD5 almost 99% of the shop have only one motherboard for the core i7 9series and that is the MSI pro E apart from one or two boards from Asus which are also only available in 1 shop, I would suggest to avoid Asus ... i got myself a rampage II gene and i am struggling to get it RMA'ed now... changed the Gigabyte this week. If you still want the i7 9 series then get them online from one of the dealers here and save on that journey to Chennai.

Zotac Gtx 460 cost 15500 in here(only one dealer and he demands a premium for it) compared to online price of 12900 here in TE. Almost all other brands are non existant ... Palit was around 14500.

the core i5's are more readily available one dealer swore to me that the core i7 8 series doesn't exist.

PS: Most high end stuff in richi street is on order basis and will take 3 to 7 days for delivery.

^ ha ha ha i told u i dont like asus board that why your refused to listen to me that u bought the asus board at your own choice and u are facing lot of problem at these board ;) so i told avoid asus, Samsung, trascend, pailt and few brand etc..

so go for dark angel config what he mention as recommend one for SLi setup

p.s in Coimbatore the lcd are liite costly an extra 1-2k buck so avoid buy so u can buy from richer street and travel if u own any transport then it is better

Its more like Asus courier agent i am having problems with ... i called Asus on monday and they have been calling daily to check if the motherboard has been picked up or not ... the courier company has not bothered to turn up so far ... probably might end up going to there office myself ... if i can get myself some free time this weekend.

Wow I never the noticed the newer pricing for the i7 950. Makes sense to invest in this processor provided the OP has the budget sorted out for the rest of the components. I'd advise you to pick up this processor, the Gigabyte X58 UD3R-rev 2.0 for 13.5k'ish and a single GTX 460 1GB GPU from Zotac/msi.

Adding a second card later is pointless since a newer card would have been released by then which would churn out better frames than the 2 GTX 460s in SLI. Not to mention the added heat and power consumption. Sell the older card and get a better one later.

I thank all of you guys from the bottom of my heart for your most sincere and kind inputs.
@DarkAngel
Its better to concentrate on graphics muscle and stick with i-5 750 rather than overspending of CPU+MOBO+RAM and skimping on GPU…
@Desecrator
Or alternately, if you are open to an AMD based system…
I am sorry, but I would specifically prefer to go with Intel Core i7 socket 1366, due to it’s capability to upgrade to the six core i980X in the future and perhaps it has some other advantages over socket 1156 like full bandwidth 2 x16 PCI-e lanes for SLIing or Crossfiring in the future:).
@Ankur
Get the i7-950 / 3.06 GHz. The price has just dropped from $599 to $299 and the new pricing (i.e.Rs.15400) is available on deltapage too…
Thank you very much for this essential piece of information. Thanks to you, I will definitely be going with a Core i7 950 processor on socket 1366. No changes in that, it is finalized.:D
@varunversion1
Dont get sli right away... get just one 260 for now and another once the price drops... also u dont need to overclock any of these processors to play GTA IV... :)
Thank you. This is just what I had in mind, but I heard that GTA IV was processor intensive?:huh:
@kolguy
the fact is richi street if you are coming here all the way doesn't stock high end motherboards ... Most high end stuff in richi street is on order basis and will take 3 to 7 days for delivery… compared to online price of 12900 here in TE…
Thank you very much for the information. It seems like going all the way to Chennai for this purpose would not be worth it. Hence I am now more open to online purchases and will seriously consider it.:)
I was thinking of a RAZER mouse with sufficiently high DPI. Will this make the turning around in games like GTA IV smoother?:huh: Please clarify on this issue. Is a mid tower sufficient?:huh: I was eying the full tower HAF932. Also, your inputs on other monitors to choose would be most beneficial, as I am really not sure which monitor I would like.:S Please recommend some good brands for SMPS, three channel RAM, mouse, monitor and clarify on the GTA IV issue.:S
I will consider extending my budget for a quality system. Thanks to all you guys once again.:cool2:

Processor Core i-7 950(3.06Ghz, 4 cores) 15000
Motherboard Asus Rampage Extreme III ?Price
RAM ?Brand (3GBx2) 1600MHz DDR3 ?Price
HDD 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 32MB Cache ?Price
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Ultra 120 eXtreme ?Price
GPU ?Brand 1*GTX460 1GB GDDR5 ?Price
Cabinet CM HAF-932 ?Price
Key Board Amkette ~300
Mouse Razer ?Model ?Price
Mouse pad - -
Total ?

For the mouse if your budget is :

~2.1k - Razer Death Adder - Laser (IR)

~1.4k - Logitech MX518 / SS Kinzu (Both Optical Mice - But I doubt if it will make a difference when compared to a Laser)

~0.7k - Gigabyte GM6800 (Optical)

~0.3k - Normal USB Wired Mouse

Keyboards - If gaming

Razer Lycosa ~4k

Logitech G15 ~ 4.3k (Recommended if war between Lycosa/G15)

Razer Arctosa ~2.7k (Same as lycosa but no backlit KB)

Normal KB USB Wired ~ Rs 375

Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 ~2.5k

Mouse Pad :

Rantopad H1 ~ Rs 300

Razer Goliathus ~Rs 800

Mouse + KB Combo

Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop ~1.1k (Not that good in terms of quality)

RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz ~5.2k

Are you sure on the ASUS Rampage series ? - There have been mixed opinions on the ASS by ASUS

GPU Go for the Zotac GTX 460 1GB DDR5 ~ Pretty Standard , will not cause issues [OR] MSi Hawk (if avlbl) or MSi Cyclone

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

SMPS Good Choice if SLi

(DA's Rig Suggestion - AWESOME )

HAF 932 - Too big , Too Old - Also You could try the HAF-X ~ More refined in terms of the build ~ Steel ~ 14k (Not very sure)

You could also consider the Lian Li PCA71F - Absolutely Great the cabinet ~ Aluminium ~13k

Also LanCool DragonLord PC-K62 ~ 7k (Great Cabby - Great Features)

Good ol' CM 690 II Advanced ~5.5k would great too ..

I am sorry, but I would specifically prefer to go with Intel Core i7 socket 1366, due to it’s capability to upgrade to the six core i980X in the future and perhaps it has some other advantages over socket 1156 like full bandwidth 2 x16 PCI-e lanes for SLIing or Crossfiring in the future

AFAIK Mate , I think the 1366 Is almost EOL (Almost) since sandy bridge will be showing in a while - Also is it a complete NO to AMD Rigs ? - I would like to specify that the AMD rigs will have a greater scope of upgradability than the Intel ones , the chaps at Intel like changing their sockets ever so often - Sandy bridge is going to be on a New socket I guess..Also AMD Bulldozers will run on the AM3 Socket ..So just a thought to ponder over

Hope I helped :)

l33t said:
For the mouse if your budget is :

~2.1k - Razer Death Adder - Laser (IR)

~1.4k - Logitech MX518 / SS Kinzu (Both Optical Mice - But I doubt if it will make a difference when compared to a Laser)

~0.7k - Gigabyte GM6800 (Optical)

~0.3k - Normal USB Wired Mouse

Keyboards - If gaming

Razer Lycosa ~4k

Logitech G15 ~ 4.3k (Recommended if war between Lycosa/G15)

Razer Arctosa ~2.7k (Same as lycosa but no backlit KB)

Normal KB USB Wired ~ Rs 375

Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 ~2.5k

Mouse Pad :

Rantopad H1 ~ Rs 300

Razer Goliathus ~Rs 800

Mouse + KB Combo

Logitech G1 Gaming Desktop ~1.1k (Not that good in terms of quality)

Are you sure on the ASUS Rampage series ? - There have been mixed opinions on the ASS by ASUS

GPU Go for the Zotac GTX 460 1GB DDR5 ~ Pretty Standard , will not cause issues [OR] MSi Hawk (if avlbl) or MSi Cyclone

SMPS Good Choice if SLi

(DA's Rig Suggestion - AWESOME )

HAF 932 - Too big , Too Old - Also You could try the HAF-X ~ More refined in terms of the build ~ Steel ~ 14k (Not very sure)

You could also consider the Lian Li PCA71F - Absolutely Great the cabinet ~ Aluminium ~13k

Also LanCool DragonLord PC-K62 ~ 7k (Great Cabby - Great Features)

Good ol' CM 690 II Advanced ~5.5k would great too ..

AFAIK Mate , I think the 1366 Is almost EOL (Almost) since sandy bridge will be showing in a while - Also is it a complete NO to AMD Rigs ? - I would like to specify that the AMD rigs will have a greater scope of upgradability than the Intel ones , the chaps at Intel like changing their sockets ever so often - Sandy bridge is going to be on a New socket I guess..Also AMD Bulldozers will run on the AM3 Socket ..So just a thought to ponder over

Hope I helped :)
l33t is right Sandy bridge is going for a chipset and socket makeover to the LGA 2011 socket for the Core i9 and most of the AMD boards are backward compatible AM3 proccy on AM2+ board also the 6 core Thuban cores which were recently unleashed although not really performance bench setters they are a real threat to the Core i7 930 - 950 due to two extra physical cores and hence better multithreading performance, but in the end it is your call

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=146

hope this helps you :)

Thanks guys once again. The jigsaw puzzle is slowly approaching completion. As I said, strictly no AMD processors at the moment, sorry. Also, I don't really care if socket 2011 Sandy Bridge uses a different socket. As I said, there is always the i980X to upgrade to in the future.:p

1. Please confirm whether the Razer Death Adder is NOT a wireless mouse? I really don't want the hassle of batteries, I want a wired mouse. Also, I will only buy an expensive mouse with a high DPI, if it provides better frame rates while turning in games like GTAIV, etc. Is this the case?:huh:

2. The ram mentioned
seems to be dual channel, but AFAIK, the RAM in core i7 is triple channel. So please do recommend a brand of triple channel RAM for me.:huh:

3. I would like to know whether the DELL U2311H has an aspect ratio of 16:9. I really don't want a monitor with the odd aspect ratio of 16:10.

4. Please also help me fill out the missing question marks. Please guys.:(

Processor Core i-7 950(3.06Ghz, 4 cores) 15000
Motherboard Asus Rampage Extreme III ?Price
RAM ?Brand ?Model (3GBx2) 1600MHz DDR3 ?Price
HDD 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 32MB Cache ?Price
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Ultra 120 eXtreme ?Price
GPU Zotac 1*GTX460 1GB GDDR5 12900
Cabinet CM 690 II Advanced 5500
Key Board Amkette ~300
Mouse Razer Death Adder 2100
Mouse pad - -
Total ?57800+

^^

1 - The Razer DA is not a wireless mouse - Very much wired - 3500 DPi - Infrared Tracker
(You could go in for a gaming cum wireless mouse only if your budget on the mouz exceeds 5k , in a wireless mouse there is always an option to plonk in the wire when the charge is down )

2- Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz is a dual channel ram - My apologies -There is only a very very marginal increase of performance in triple channel memory ~2 to 6% - Provided you use the apps that you so much of memory . Here's one which serves the purpose TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - TheITWares

3- Yes ,DELL U2311H has a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio

4-Asus Rampage Extreme III ~24k - You could buy a decent X58 Chipset Mobo instead , Ive heard the rampage has NB/SB Heating problems iinm.

5 - CPU HSF , why not - Nocuta NH-D14 ~5k , Its got great reviews , gets the job done perfectly
Or else , water cooled - Corsair H50/H70 ~4k/5.5k - Great Results as well

Hope ^ Helped :)

For Pricing you could use the following sites :

The Itwares -Mumbai -TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!TheITwares Ecommerce

Prime ABGB -Mumbai -Computers Hardware, Peripherals, Cameras, Laptops, Gaming Equipment Tech Heaven, Thin client Lamington Road, Mumbai

Delta Pheriperals - Chennai -http://deltapage.com/

SMC International - New Delhi -Under Construction - Under Maintenance currently

@OP : Instead of Asus Rampage III Extreme which costs approx ~24G you could go for cheaper , more VFM alternatives , it would keep everything in budget , X58 Chipset Mobos which are pretty bang for buck

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 ~18k - TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, 3x USB power - TheITWares

MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 ~11k - TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard 3-Way SLI, CFX ready, EZOC + True Blu-ray audio - TheITWares

MSI X58 Pro-E ~11k - MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R ~14k -Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard

Back