Washing machine help! EDIT: Bought Bosch WAG14060IN front loader

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
We've decided to relocate to a slightly more spacious 2BHK apartment and it has a provision to install a washing machine - a small pocket near the work area with the required water inlet and drain connections. Besides, the maids we had employed before seems to do a lousy job at cleaning the clothes. :(

Preference is for a front-loader, but not an IFB since there seems to be a lot of complaints against their incompetent service off-lately. We are just the two of us (the usual load - shirts, trousers, bedsheets, pillow covers etc.) and the usage would probably be restricted to once a week during the weekends.

We had a look at some of the basic models from Bosch and Siemens at a Vijay Sales outlet sometime back and looked decent. Shortlisted the cheapest model from the Bosch stable - a Classixx 5.5 kg 700 rpm model - WAG14060IN. IIRC this model was priced at 24k back then.

Products - Washing Machines - Washing Machines - Front Loading - WAG14060IN

Is anyone using a Bosch model here? More importantly, I would like to know how good is their customer service.

Many thanks in advance!

I bought Bosch Maxx Frontloader - WAE-20260IN for 30.5 K in march this year. Check out the query thread.

Before you purchase and eye a particular model, place a call for site visit (if possible). The engineer would check water quality, pressure, drainage and may suggest any plumbing / electrical requirements. Although that would depend if the brand has such a provision. Bosch does that.
Also do note that a Tap is not what is required for water inlet. Instead an Angle Valve is required.

It has been a short period so far to judge their customer service. However so far a satisfied customer.

I bought Bosch Maxx Frontloader - WAE-20260IN for 30.5 K in march this year. Check out the query thread.

Before you purchase and eye a particular model, place a call for site visit (if possible). The engineer would check water quality, pressure, drainage and may suggest any plumbing / electrical requirements. Although that would depend if the brand has such a provision. Bosch does that.
Also do note that a Tap is not what is required for water inlet. Instead an Angle Valve is required.

It has been a short period so far to judge their customer service. However so far a satisfied customer.

Hey thanks for the inputs!

I am not sure if a site visit is really warranted. I don't exactly remember if the inlet water provision had an angle valve or the tap but the plumber could take care of it anyway. A 15A socket is required - will check that as well.

30.5k sounds like a sweet deal for that model.

Bosch quality is impeccable. Havent heard about the service. Friend got a Bosch last week, will get the details. He paid ~28k iirc.

Thanks Raghu. Please let us know the details and his impressions.

We saw a Siemens model alongside this Bosch and it was an EXACT one to one copy of it! We were like shocked! It was as if the OEMs were the same company and the stickers were different. :scared14:

Wifey says collars come out clean. Before dropping the shirts in, rub the collars either with little VANISH or ROBIN CUFF 'N' COLLAR (something like that).

Oh shit this is going to be painful! I mean we thought we could simply dump all the clothes inside and just hang it when it's done. :(

Could you ask her if she does the pre-scrubbing every single time? Or is it just when the shirts are light colored and the dirt is very evident. Many thanks.

We saw a Siemens model alongside this Bosch and it was an EXACT one to one copy of it! We were like shocked! It was as if the OEMs were the same company and the stickers were different. :scared14:

Bosch makes washing machine kits which are assembled by a lot of other companies. So, this definitely not surprising. Their websites are very similar too.

I havent found a need to wash the collar separately. With soak options, good detergent and builtin water heater I dont think its needed either. How is the water quality? Hard water definitely makes it tougher to clean stubborn dirt. And, if the habit is to wear the clothes for multiple days, till its dirty, then it might be a good idea to scrub manually.

The water isn't hard. I mean it lathers properly so I guess it is soft. I wear a shirt mostly once or twice if I change to the overalls after reaching the workplace - sometimes we have to do this when the production guys need help and we need to enter into the ship. So the shirts and trousers are as good as clean because we only change at the end of the day. But yes collar dirt accumulates.

Anyways, we'll be shifting next week and will possibly book the w/m tomorrow. Hope all goes well.

Oh shit this is going to be painful! I mean we thought we could simply dump all the clothes inside and just hang it when it's done. :(

Could you ask her if she does the pre-scrubbing every single time? Or is it just when the shirts are light colored and the dirt is very evident. Many thanks.
Only when the dirt is evident. At my end another issue is that the water is hard.

Hey another query - I hope the w/m comes with the foundation? The one that comes with rollers and can be raised by turning the supports at the 4 corners? Or do we have to pay separately for that?

And any idea how noisy it is when the drum starts spinning during the drying cycles?

No front loading w/m comes with rollers.During spin cycle there will lots of vibrations,so unless the roller add on is steady its not advised to put it.

W/M usually have a screw type adjustment on all four corners to keep it steady.

You can also check out the whirlpool ones the worlds largest home appliance maker ,they have excellent build quality,the high end ones are direct import model. When i bought my whirlpool washing machine i was first hell bent on getting the Siemens one ,but after checking the top of line whirlpool i had no second thoughts in buying it built like a tank,with top notch fit and finish.

As far as noise in spin cycle well if the load is balanced then it will sound like a turbine spinning,but if its unbalanced (say all the clothes are on one side) the washing machine can be quite noisy with low frequency bangs.If the washing machine is one of smart ones like the high end models,it will reduce its spin or stop and tries to balance.

Regarding the similarity of bosch and siemens they are the same,sold in those two names worldwide.
Siemens home appliance is imported by a distributor,where as Bosch branded ones are imported by Bosch,

Thanks for the inputs Arun. I am somehow inclined towards the Bosch after reading the feedbacks online. Will be going today evening to the Vijay Sales outlet to book the machine for delivery next week.

Forgot to update. We paid 24k for the Bosch Classixx yesterday at the Vijay Sales outlet. The VSP was 24.5k but the guy slashed 500 off the price. Seemed like a good deal to us. We've asked then to deliver it by Wednesday. :)

The funny part was when we walked into the outlet and asked the sales manager as to why only 3 machines were kept on display, he thought we were some Bosch reps and had come from the company for some audit! :p

He also told us that these machines are not to be kept on any foundation but directly rested on the floor. Else Bosch may not honor any warranty. I'm not sure about the last part. The machine looked solid and well built. Stainless steel drum with plenty of space for both of our clothes. No fancy features that we may not use at all.

So all in all a good deal. Lets see when the machine arrives.

@mk 76 - what is the recommended detergent? Tide?

I use surf excel white one . The make specifically for washing machines.

Touch expensive but they have been good for me.

The Excelmatic made for washing machines? I think my parents are still using that since over a decade now with the IFB machine! :unsure:

Do the clothes smell good after a wash? My colleague was telling me the Tide detergent that he uses, leaves a pleasant fragrance on the clothes.

Just asking. :ashamed:

The Excelmatic made for washing machines? I think my parents are still using that since over a decade now with the IFB machine! :unsure:

Do the clothes smell good after a wash? My colleague was telling me the Tide detergent that he uses, leaves a pleasant fragrance on the clothes.

Just asking. :ashamed:

Yup thats the reason that I use it. The clothes smell good and dry them up and they are good to go.

It comes in white wrapping I think . Check it out everything is written on it.

Surf excel matic/quickwash leaves a pleasant smell on your clothes unless you want something with fancy smells that Ariel,Tide comes with. Depends on choice of odor.

MY friend uses a variant of Surf excel which costs somewhere near 200/kg :O but it specially comes for front loader w/m's. (written on surf). I compared it with normal Surf excel powder and results were shocking. Former was too good, it did its job perfectly for my "dirtier" collars also :p but the latter was a bit disappointing.
As far as smell in concerned, I use Tide+ of fragrance (orange color packet) I don't remember but it smells nice :p

Back