Washing machine help! EDIT: Bought Bosch WAG14060IN front loader

My grandmother needs a washing machine for herself for strictly within 15,000 Rupees. I have been looking at some top-load fully-automatic models and the cheapest I have came across is Godrej's at:
Godrej GWF 650FC 6.5 kg Fully Automatic Washing Machine . Buy Best Godrej GWF 650FC 6.5 kg Fully Automatic Washing Machine at Lowest Price Online
available for some 12648 Rupees after applying the discount coupon.

Are the top-loaders any good? Any experiences with Godrej? My uncle has a Godrej Air Conditioner and it works very fine..

Thanks!

Where do you pour the fabric softener and the stain remover liquid? In the same pocket? Or the adjacent one?

+1 as NinByChoice. Also depends on your model. Do check with the representative on what all you should avoid. Like - Do not put/use bleach in the wm, same goes for 'very strong' stain removers.

One more monthly maintenance tip - run a empty wash cycle at the highest temperature setting with just a cup of vinegar (instead of detergent). This helps descale the heater element and keeps the machine free of odour.

My grandmother needs a washing machine for herself for strictly within 15,000 Rupees. I have been looking at some top-load fully-automatic models and the cheapest I have came across is Godrej's at:
Godrej GWF 650FC 6.5 kg Fully Automatic Washing Machine . Buy Best Godrej GWF 650FC 6.5 kg Fully Automatic Washing Machine at Lowest Price Online
available for some 12648 Rupees after applying the discount coupon.

Are the top-loaders any good? Any experiences with Godrej? My uncle has a Godrej Air Conditioner and it works very fine..
While there is no substantial reason to doubt a Godrej machine, you may take a look at similar priced LG, Samsung and Panasonic models as well. Do ensure that you get a machine with a stainless steel drum and hot water inlet.

While the top loaders may not give performance as good as front loaders, at your budget it'll be better to get a top loader than a front loader. I am using the Whirlpool Bloomwash top-loader and am satisfied with its washing capabilities.

The Excelmatic made for washing machines? I think my parents are still using that since over a decade now with the IFB machine! :unsure:

Do the clothes smell good after a wash? My colleague was telling me the Tide detergent that he uses, leaves a pleasant fragrance on the clothes.

We also have an ancient IFB washing machine. Have tried a lot of detergents but have found the surf excelmatic to be the best in terms of cleaning and a pleasant smell (like most other people in this thread) . But the cost is quite high and off late have started using Henko which also has decent washing for a much lesser price.

Got the machine delivered and installed on Wednesday. The service technician (who btw looked like a nerd with those glasses, clad in a grey shirt with the BSH logo, black cargoes and safety shoes!) dropped by the same day evening and installed it within a matter of minutes. He insisted that the machine should not be mounted on any foundation but plain leveled floor to avoid BSH denying any warranty later on. The shocker here was during the demo when the machine was on the spin cycles (drying), it was way too silent! Both of our jaws literally dropped on the floor and shattered! :scared14:

We were like OMFG that's way too silent! This coming from an IFB user (native) since the late '90s. The technician used a lot of technical terms and jargons but yes we were able to comprehend those. He explained about the various cycles, the recommended detergents (Surf Excelmatic was his best recommendation btw), using the fabric softener, descaling etc.

13558d1343976199-everyday-show-off-thread-p1050904.jpg

13559d1343976199-everyday-show-off-thread-p1050898.jpg

Good riddance to maids! :eek:hyeah:

Thanks a bunch Raghu, mk76, Arun, guptavis.

Gannu
Congrats on your purchase

can you tell me the main reason in going for front loader? I am confused whether to go for front loader or top loader
why I am asking this is because whirlpool 360 claims that it has features of front load and convenience of top loader. They even say it is better than front loader from IFB and some other brands.

@ other members

If anyone using Whirlpool 360 model and can help me decide , that would be great.

When we bought the Whirlpool 360 (top loader), front loaders were definitely under our consideration. But the fact that reliable top loading machines from manufacturers like Bosch, Siemens are not available in our area and hence non-availability of service made us consider the said machine. Another reason for going for a top loader was we wanted to keep the maintenance/ service costs and operational cost (front loaders use non-foaming detergent which costs more) of the machine at bare minimum levels. Also, to keep the operation of the machine simple for my mom (the primary user), we went for the top loader, in contrast to front loaders in which taking out clothes in the event of a power cut and adding clothes in the middle of a wash cycle is complex. As per my research, the Whirlpool Bloomwash machine was a promising performer in top loaders and in the past 3 months, it has failed to disappoint me.

With a budget of around 30k, if wash quality is your primary concern, and the "concerns" listed above don't bother you, you can seriously consider front-loaders.

Bosch and Siemes dont make top loaders, at all. That definitely says something about top loaders. Front loaders run fine with normal detergent. For instance, Im using Rs50/kg Tide detergent. Only concern is not being able to add clothes mid-cycle.

Bosch and Siemes dont make top loaders, at all. That definitely says something about top loaders. Front loaders run fine with normal detergent. For instance, Im using Rs50/kg Tide detergent. Only concern is not being able to add clothes mid-cycle.
What about mold problem and bad odours from clothes. Are these problems quite common or only a few people face it.
how is LG front loader with inverter direct motor compared to Bosch or Siemens?

Yes, Bosch and Siemens are not in the top-loading segment. It was a typing mistake.

You can check the wikipedia page for washing machines. It is a generally accepted fact that front loaders give better wash quality, use less electricity, water and detergent per cyle. That is why most of europe uses front loaders. while americans, the wasteful people that they are prefer top loaders.

^^ Yes, thanks for confirming my statement.

What about mold problem and bad odours from clothes. Are these problems quite common or only a few people face it.
how is LG front loader with inverter direct motor compared to Bosch or Siemens?

No issues with mold. You can keep the door ajar to avoid moisture buildup and subsequent molding. The regular vinegar wash also helps keep everything clean.

The LG direct drive is priced between entry level front loaders and Bosch/Siemens. Friend has it and no complaints. I hope others can give more feedback.

Gannu
Congrats on your purchase

can you tell me the main reason in going for front loader?

Well we've been using front loaders for quite some time now and were content with the performance of the machine (plus the convenience of loading/unloading from the front) so did not think about the top loaders for now. Besides, like guptavis has mentioned, front loaders seem to consume less water and detergent for wash cycles and the quality of the washed clothes are very good.

On this machine, the performance exceeded my expectations! We just moved into a new apartment and some of the clothes (tees, trousers etc) we wore during the shifting process were so badly soiled and all we did after settling down was to load about a dozen clothes (mix of tees, shirts and trousers plus some undies) into the machine, add a scoopful of Surf Excelmatic detergent and set it to 60' option. After 90 minutes, we unloaded the warm semi-dried clothes and it was clean - all the dirt gone plus a nice fragrance. I am really satisfied with this investment.

Ganu congrats . what is your model number ?

why did you choose this versus 20260IN ?

It is Gannu! :p

The model is WAG 14060IN. We chose this because, this was the cheapest model from the Bosch stable and it seemed to fit all our basic requirements without any fancy additions or features we may not end up using. Hell, I don't think I am going to use some 7 or 8 predefined cycles on this machine. We are just 2 guys and 5.5 kg drum was fine.

Back