Video Watching movies on TV using computer.

some_cap

Disciple
I wish to connect my PC to my tv to watch movies on it. My motherboard MSI-K9A GM2 FIH has a tv-out but requires an external bracket. Tried to find it in shops in SP Road, Bangalore but no one had any clue of what I was talking about. Google had no clue either (no ebay sellers)
Just found this sole link:
TV-out Component, S-Video Connector Bracket [MISC-HDTV-BRACKET] : $14.99 : Media Center & Home Theater PC / HTPC Systems - VidaBox - Home Entertainment Made Simple

Is there somwhere I can find something similar in India. Has someone used this??

Edit :

Also I know there are alternative ways:
1. Graphics card with TV-OUT (too expensive, + I need to chuck out my current card)
2. Some people said TV-tuner cards come with TV Out but I am not sure of this..

Also is it worth all the trouble?

another idea : is there a vga to composite cable??
i guess this would be the best for me as my tv has only RF and RCA input. (no component, no svideo).

some_cap said:
I wish to connect my PC to my tv to watch movies on it. My motherboard MSI-K9A GM2 FIH has a tv-out but requires an external bracket. Tried to find it in shops in SP Road, Bangalore but no one had any clue of what I was talking about. Google had no clue either (no ebay sellers)

Just found this sole link:

TV-out Component, S-Video Connector Bracket [MISC-HDTV-BRACKET] : $14.99 : Media Center & Home Theater PC / HTPC Systems - VidaBox - Home Entertainment Made Simple

Is there somwhere I can find something similar in India. Has someone used this??

Edit :

Also I know there are alternative ways:

1. Graphics card with TV-OUT (too expensive, + I need to chuck out my current card)

2. Some people said TV-tuner cards come with TV Out but I am not sure of this..

Also is it worth all the trouble?

I have a similar motherboard - MSI K8NGM2 FID. It came with bracket for component & composite video. I also bought a bracket for S/PDIF sound-out which looks very similar to the bracket is linked by you (though its for sound). I bought it for Rs 200/- from a small shop at Nehru Place, Delhi.

To buy it, I took a printout of bracket showed it in shop. I suggest you do the same. They may have it but may not be understanding what you mean by "bracket".

If you have DVI-out in your motherboard/display-card, use that instead of putting a bracket.

Last option is VGA-to-composite/component/HDMI adaptor.

Can u tell me what are the basic accessories u got with the mobo [excluding the ide, sata & power cables]...

And also does your mobo has this connector on it [The one marked in red]..
msimobord6.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I have doubts:

rshri said:
I have a similar motherboard - MSI K8NGM2 FID. It came with bracket for component & composite video. I also bought a bracket for S/PDIF sound-out which looks very similar to the bracket is linked by you (though its for sound). I bought it for Rs 200/- from a small shop at Nehru Place, Delhi.
Was it a computer shop or electronic shop? Sorry for being dumb but I have tried so many shops that I am totally confused. Do you remember the shop's name in Nehru Place?
rshri said:
To buy it, I took a printout of bracket showed it in shop. I suggest you do the same. They may have it but may not be understanding what you mean by "bracket".
Do you mean a printout of the picture in the link I posted above.
rshri said:
If you have DVI-out in your motherboard/display-card, use that instead of putting a bracket.
Yes I do, how do I use it?

rshri said:
Last option is VGA-to-composite/component/HDMI adaptor.
This also seems a good option. Is such a thing available. If yes, where to look (electronic or computer shop) . Any rough idea of price?

It was computer shop. It was a very small shop near Computer Empire shop in Nehru Place. It was mostly stocked with accessories such as cables, webcams and screwdrivers.

Yes, take printout of picture.

In your case, since you dont have HDMI/S-Video, use some DVI to composite cable

VGA to Composite cable should be available. Should be between 50 to 150 bucks.

Hi,

I am also not sure on this.... But, i am sure that TV tuner cards have a Video out. I am using Pinnacle tv tuner card. It has S-video and Composite output.

Marun

if your motherboard has a s-video out then its a very easily available cable, s-video to component(thats what most TV supports)/composite. Simply tell the shop for a cable to connect your computer to the TV. Almost all these small shops that stock cables, connectors etc. will have it. My graphic card came along with s-video to component convertor.

some_cap said:
@andrew:
about JTV Can't tell for sure:
See if you can make out from this image.
http://twojepc.pl/html/grafika_integra/msi-3.jpg

Also I got just the standard components. Nothing Extra.

If thats a pic of your mobo, than yes u have a TV out on your mobo as this connector is optional and most of the mobo's of the same model donot have it....

The connector is the one marked in Green..........
12674053qo8.jpg

You can either buy a connector or else u can make one yourself [but if u know some basic soldering or have a front usb or audio ports on your cabby]

Let me know your options and i'll guide u for the same
A. Basic Soldering Knowledge.
B. Front USB or Audio Ports.

Sorry for all the trouble guys. I forgot I had "upgraded" to Gigabyte 965 mobd. Really really Sorry.
@andrew I never realised how helpful your post would be. I opened up my system today, and realised this thanks to you.

Anyways I learned a lot from you. Also I found out that diagram in my motherboard manual and also saw a picture of the bracket. Thanks for guiding so well. Really appreciated.
Marun said:
I am also not sure on this.... But, i am sure that TV tuner cards have a Video out. I am using Pinnacle tv tuner card. It has S-video and Composite output.
On the other hand, I have a tv tuner card (pinnacle pc tv plus, very old model, dont remember exact model) with S-Video and Composite ports at the back. Uptil now I always thought these were meant for video input (playing video on the screen) rather than output. Can somebody confirm? If this works then the task becomes pretty easy, simple matter of buying the composite or svideo to RCA cable.

rshri said:
VGA to Composite cable should be available. Should be between 50 to 150 bucks.
That's a cool price. Other than TV tuner the only option for me is to buy this cable or the VGA-to-composite/component/HDMI adaptor you mentioned. Availability and price confirmation would be nice..

Too bad edit is disabled. Strange!!
Edit: I googled a bit and I am approximately sure the TV tuner has only input ports and no output ports. So the only option left is to buy a VGA to composite cable or the VGA-to-composite/component/HDMI adaptor. I'll google back and report.

From what I read in some amazon.com reviews, these vga to composite adaptors are expensive (around 2000 Rs.) and are not worth it (the output is not good). Also the cheaper option of wire works only if computer has support for it (most don't).

So I think I will give up. Use a dvd player instead. Or if I get the tv out bracket in the market then I will get my old MSI board back and use it as a dedicated HTPC.

Please keep posting your views. Thanks.

I've a VGA to composite cable and a DVI to composite cable. I bought them for connecting my Lenovo laptop to the TV via it's VGA o/p.(Crappy lenovo. To think it's a high end T60 with no S-video out..tsk tsk. Stay away from Lenovo...or any other laptop that does not have S-video out.)

Both did not work and I wondered why. After a bit of googling, I found out that VGA o/p is sRGB and this requires conversion into A/V or S-video or component. Apparently, inter-conversion among A/V, S-video or component is relatively easy but sRGB conversion into any of the above requires a scan converter. Such a device is only bundled with projectors and computer monitors and if you purchase it seperately, it costs upwards of $300.

I'm not very clear on the inter-conversion aspects but I can say that a VGA/DVI to composite/component cable will not work that easily. I've also read, that these cables are for use with HDTVs that send component signals on the VGA connnector(which is why they're manufactured in the first place).

Hey there the only cheap option for getting a Composite put from a computer is Cheap GFX card with Composite out [If u are using onboard].........

So i guess buy a good second hand AGP/PCIe gfx with TV out which is a the best options as VGA to Composite transcoders will cost u above 300$ [even Sydras has mentioned that] and are not worth it.............. [In your case]

300$ :S
Hey for that kind of money, I would rather build a new dedicated HTPC with my old MSI motherboard. Wouldn't that give a reasonable output? Or is the output from Graphics cards that good??

In any case, both options are way out of my league. (too expensive to bother).

I already have the motherboard. Only I gave it to my dad for his office for my upgrade to a core 2 duo supporting board. I only need to give dad an alternate pc and I can bring that PC back home + I need that adapter we talked about from somewhere.

Back