Water purifier (non ro) with cheap maintenance?

6pack

ex-Mod
Looking at a water purifier with cheap maintenance plans. My Aquaguard AMC is due next month and balked at prices of service. Aquaguard is charging Rs 2400 for 1 year, Rs3800 for 2 years and something like Rs5700 for 3 years. This is like half the cost or more for the unit itself. I think I paid 4x times the unit cost till now in AMC charges.

The technician hardly does anything besides cleaning the filters, the two times he visits in a year. He changes the filters just once a year when he feels like it.

I saw a lot of videos on youtube, and seems the original company product filters of Aquaguard cost upwards of Rs 450 for a dual filter cartridge. Don't know the price of carbon block, but its probably around 900.

Looking at costs of original filter and carbon block, amc looks way too costly to me since they don't even change the filters that much. If they changed the filters 4 times a year it would still cost them just Rs 1800 tops since the carbon filter last a long time like 2-3 years.

Searched on Amazon and could not find original Aquaguard filters. The nameless ones, cost 250 for just the 5 micron filter. Carbon block is around 1k. Problem is quality and taste of water. I've seen Amazon and YT reviews saying water does not taste that good from these cheap filters.

Where can I find original Aquaguard filters online?

We were put off by the costs of the aquaguard spares a couple years back. I've not done maintenance since. We felt the guy who looked after us for over 15 years was charging too much. We never had an AMC, just called him when necessary

How much do you pay when you service the device?

Does aquaguard even service the device if we don't have amc?

Even i was thinking of just calling the service center once a year. I can easily clean the pre filter every two it three months to increase the life of the carbon block.

The guy who did the servicing started his own side business and it continued that way. Aquaguard stopped supplying spares years ago because they wanted to push their newer inferior models and charge more up front. Prices i will have to check the files. Don't know off hand

You can maintain pre-filters yourself easily. There shouldn't be any change of taste as these are usually just sediment filters. I maintain 20 inch filters from my borewell to my supply tank myself. I have a bag filter followed by a 5 micron PP filter. Haven't had to change either of them since February when I installed the system. Just cleaned the bag filter and reinstalled it last month. In my case, we get very fine dust which then forms clay and clogs the pipes. Most of it is stopped by the bag filter. Whatever isn't gets trapped in the blown PP filter cartridge.
Also, for charcoal and other filters, you can buy refillable cartridges or replacable cartridges from sources in your city who design industrial ROs or even online. In case of refillable cartridges you just keep adding the medium when it's quantity becomes low.
All of this will guaranteed be much cheaper than retail solutions.

I have a bag filter followed by a 5 micron PP filter.
That is the aquaguard system in a nutshell. Aquaguard's bag filter is activated charcoal i think.

He'd change that cylindrical PP filter every 6 months.

There is also a UV light stage for bacteria, if that goes the system refuses to come on.

Also, for charcoal and other filters, you can buy refillable cartridges or replacable cartridges from sources in your city who design industrial ROs or even online.
All of this will guaranteed be much cheaper than retail solutions.
This is prolly what my guy does. and why people still stick to the original aquaguard decades after it came out.

Am getting a TDS meter soon will be interesting to see how well the water filter is doing.

I have no idea what the TDS levels should be after it passes the filter ?

In case of refillable cartridges you just keep adding the medium when it's quantity becomes low.
What do you mean by adding the medium ?

Last edited:
What do you mean by adding the medium ?

Bag filter wouldn't be charcoal. Pre-filters are usually only sediment filters, i.e. used only to remove any sediments unlike a charcoal filter which is used to remove odor and tastes. A bag filter is just that, a bag of PP through which the water passes.

Any cartridge apart from sediment filter will usually have a medium like charcoal or a chemical which is used to remove certain characteristics or specific salts from the water. Instead one can buy refillable cartridges and the medium separately and keep refilling the medium (charcoal in case of a charcoal filter) when it gets depleted.

Am getting a TDS meter soon will be interesting to see how well the water filter is doing.

I have no idea what the TDS levels should be after it passes the filter ?

If you are just using a UV + charcoal filter I wouldn't expect any change in TDS. None of these would remove the dissolved solids unless you are using an RO membrane.

@6pack , which Aquaguard filter your are using currently? Maintaining the filters yourself is very easy and you can get original/ compatible replacement filters online.

Yes, some of the cheap filters are good for nothing but there are some reputed manufacturers also. On Amazon, you can find original Aquaguard filters as well.

In general a Non-RO system has outside prefilter (Optional) followed by Sediment filter (5 microns), Pre Carbon (known as chemi block in AquaGuard, it can be activated carbon granules or can be block type which is less common ), Micro Filter (0,1 micron) or Ultra Filter(0.01 micron), Post Carbon (optional, mostly granules ), Alkaline Cartridge (Mostly optional in non RO) and finally UV.

For municipal water, where TDS levels are less than 200, MF/UF is suitable. TDS meter has to be calibrated properly and ideal TDS should be around 100. @skoka123 is absolutely right, infact using UF won't result in any change of TDS.

Bag filter wouldn't be charcoal. Pre-filters are usually only sediment filters, i.e. used only to remove any sediments unlike a charcoal filter which is used to remove odor and tastes. A bag filter is just that, a bag of PP through which the water passes.

Any cartridge apart from sediment filter will usually have a medium like charcoal or a chemical which is used to remove certain characteristics or specific salts from the water. Instead one can buy refillable cartridges and the medium separately and keep refilling the medium (charcoal in case of a charcoal filter) when it gets depleted.

I think i know what you mean by that charcoal getting depleted. My purifier had that activated charcoal granules first. The tech would replace those granules after a year after washing them in water. He used about half the bag and gave me the rest. I threw it away after it expired i think. Sometime in past few years, he replaced the granules with a solid carbon block. It is threaded on top and quite heavy compared to just the pre filter which is just those granules wound in non woven cloth tightly.

I had asked the tech where to get original parts a year or two back and he said the company got wind of people doing side business and selling original parts without amc. He said the company got strict and was checking the amount of parts replaced.

@bigbyte, my purifier is an old model of aquaguard booster with eboiling+ written on it.

It only has the pre filter, carbon block post filter and the last stage uv filter.

@6pack Where are you from? If you are from Hyderabad then I can connect you with an excellent technician who used to work for ION Exchange (the Zero-B company). He can give you good TCO - Total Cost of Ownership.

@6pack Where are you from? If you are from Hyderabad then I can connect you with an excellent technician who used to work for ION Exchange (the Zero-B company). He can give you good TCO - Total Cost of Ownership.

I'm in Mumbai.

Edit: This company seems to have parts available for cheap. Carbon block for 300. They don't have the threaded pre filter which is available on amazon though.

What if i just spend some money now on a different product? Like Kent UF+UV for around 6k? Those Kent parts seem to be available everywhere. Problem is I don't think the pressure from my overhead tank will be high enough for this system. Tank is just 7ft above ground. So it would be less than 4ft for the purifier if i mount it on wall. My current aquaguard has a booster pump in it for taking water from even a bucket to purify.

Last edited:
ITPL earlier known as CM purifier has some good products though their product quality has come down over last one year. They provide you openable sediment and carbon filters. The inner sediment filter can be changed just for 150 rs.
Though the filter size used by them is standard, they keep changing models frequently. Earlier they use to provide Bio+ Sediment cartridge/ Permionics UF membrane / Sukrut Unibody SS UV Chamber with one side pin UV tube. They were excellent quality products though CM purifier charged a premium for them. Now all the premium products have been replaced with regular products though premium pricing still stands.

If you are planning to go for a new purifier, I'd suggest that you buy a purifier in which you can customize as per your requirement, change all cartridge yourself and maintain it easily.
For Mumbai, UV + UF is more than sufficient. You can buy this model and can also opt for a SS tank instead of Plastic. The chamber has sufficient space to add alkaline cartridge if you want. Moreover, after the included UF filter life is over ( around 1 year) you can replace it with BARC Technology Spiral Wound UF Membrane with a life of 3-4 years when maintained properly. A washable outer pre-filter like this or this can be added for less frequent maintenance of main filters.

If you want a more compact model, you can buy Ruby Cute UV UF or from here if you prefer Amazon. All above points are valid here also, however if you want SS tank for this model only seller I found is ITPL who is selling it for a premium price of Rs.2500/- for the tank alone. Also I'd suggest you to replace UV chamber in Ruby cute as they are bundling Aluminum UV chamber with it.

@bigbyte , how is this purifier? Same filtercart on amazon selling uv+uf at 2750.

The filters are same but there is no storage and it will be just hanging on the wall via a steel stand. Problem with no storage is, you have to always wait close to a minute for 1-2 ltr of water. If you are ok with it, you can buy it. Filters can be changed easily and can also be bought from aquadyne who provide standard size good quality filters. I'd suggest to switch to spiral wound UF membrane after one year.

Why do you want to replace it ? are the parts not available

i searched a lot and found some similar stuff on Amazon. Not sure of the sizes or quality though. Many people asking questions like is it compatible for aquaguard eboiling+ got a no answer. So seems like my machine is too old or compatible parts are not there.

Problem with these 3rd party filters is if there is one tiny space does not fit properly, water leaks and can contaminate clean water or even flood the place.
I think there is just one free service left till my amc runs out this month. i will tell the tech to replace both cartridges and measure them. I think the pre filter is 9 or 10 inches with a plastic screw thread on top. It's not like other where its looks like a cotton roll open on both ends. Carbon block is possibly 10 inches too.

Looking at past bill, I paid 3200 for 2 years of AMC and hardly anything was done for two years. I read reviews on Aquaguard water purifier that they don't give last service f we don't continue with their expensive AMC. From last few days an Aquaguard customer care guy has been calling me everyday to renew the AMC.

All 3rd party filter comes in standard size with some minor variatons, the qulity of filter is more important.
All inline filter are 2.5" dia, while UV and some post carbon filters will be 2" dia. Length can vary between 8 to 10 inches. The RO Membrane housing will be of 11" length and slightly more than 2.5" dia.
They fit in X clams or C clams which come in only two sizes, 2.5" and 2" (rare). For small size difference, a piece of foam can be used for tight fit.

i searched a lot and found some similar stuff on Amazon. Not sure of the sizes or quality though. Many people asking questions like is it compatible for aquaguard eboiling+ got a no answer. So seems like my machine is too old or compatible parts are not there.
What is the model number of your aquaguard ?

Can't be older than mine. Mine is the SE-1000 and there is no e-boiling written any where.

I see no purpose to get a RO as water with dissolved salts is good for health.

Guess what the TDS count for evian mineral water is ? 350. They call it "mineral water" for a reason.

We get river water here that is not even half of that and there is no chemical industry pollution.

Back