Storage Solutions WD Passport

prabs

Skilled
This the result of chkdsk on one of the drives of it

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk p: /f /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is My Passport 2.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
7680 file records processed.
File verification completed.
0 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
39 reparse records processed.
7888 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
39 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
105 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
8291088 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
7664 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
30791147 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1540).
An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 170d).

I am able to read from it but the video files get corrupted while writing to it. The copying speeds are around 50-55 mbps instead of 90mbps or higher via USB 3.

On the other partition I am able to copy data properly and use it. I am currently backing up the faulty partition but the read speeds are very slow as well. As low as 20-30 mbps.

I got it in 2014. Still in warranty. Should I RMA it? Also will they give me a new HDD or refurbished HDD.

RMA it if its in warranty. I don't know if these plastic sealed 2.5" drives can be refurbished. You will probably get new drive with old warranty.

Data LifeGuard Diagonistic is failing during Smart check.I tried copying data to it today after changing the cable and it is still 60+ instead of 90+ but data was not corrupted but I am not sure I want to take chances

If I knew for sure that I will get a new HDD instead of a refurbished I would have given it for replacement immediately.

I once gave my internal WD Purple for replacement and they gave me a new HDD within 5 working days. The issue repeated and I later realized it was because the hdd was not getting power properly. So I have had a wonderful experience but a WD Purple or Red service might be entirely different to a more regular home use external or internal HDD.

If I knew for sure that I will get a new HDD instead of a refurbished I would have given it for replacement immediately.

I think irrespective of this, you should RMA. If you are not willing to RMA, back up data from this and keep on backing up addendum data periodically like may be weekly.

Okay. Finally I am done backing up all data that was on the HDD. Time to RMA it. I had gone to a local shop to enquire about WD Elements 2 TB. I also asked him about the RMA HDD that we get and he said new.

I hope I get a new HDD because you never know when a refurbished HDD will fail.

Just checked the expiration date in the excel file. The HDD in question is no longer in warranty. The date of expiration was in 2017 and the excel still says In Warranty. When I tried to generate a RMA it didn't allow me and that is when I realized.

Looks like I will have to get a new HDD soon.

Back