We may no longer need to buy expensive hardware to play games - Google Stadia

pauldmps

Skilled
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/18271702/google-stadia-cloud-gaming-service-announcement-gdc-2019

Google is launching its Stadia cloud gaming service at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco today. Google CEO Sundar Pichai, who says he plays FIFA 19“quite a bit,” introduced the Stadia service during a special keynote at GDC this morning. Describing it as a platform for everyone, Pichai talked up Google’s ambitions to stream games to all types of devices. Stadia will stream games from the cloud to the Chrome browser, Chromecast, and Pixel devices, and it will launch at some point in 2019 in the US, Canada, UK, and Europe.

Would i own a laptop or a chromebook ? answer is former

Maybe in several years from now it may be latter

Soooooo....yeah not just yet :)

^ It also runs on laptops. It just needs chrome browser/chromecast

I think the latency will be an issue but it certainly doable in major indian cities with high speed broadband if google allocates server here.

I was trying to make an analogy

Now, does this mean the end of pay once, play forever ?
Yup. Its basically like netflix for games. Have netflix subscription? watch the movie how many times you want.

have stadia subscription? play the game how many times you want.

Playstation/ nvidia already tried this and it felt its atleast decade off. But now that google is here, I think this'll become mainstream in big cities in 3~4 years if google takes this seriously and not handle them like allo/inbox apps and shut them down.

If anyone has experience in data centers, its google.[DOUBLEPOST=1553354432][/DOUBLEPOST]But honestly I dont how this will solve the latency issue meaningfully. and at current latency, its useless for fast paced online games/fighting games

AWS will also come up with something like Stadia..
Aws already have GPU instances and servers available in most of the regions

I get 150 ping on average on Euro servers in Rocket League.

And I read Aussies complaining about their shitty Internet coverage on Reddit.

Can't imagine entire game streaming over the Internet without any issues for another 2-3decades.

I get 150 ping on average on Euro servers in Rocket League.

And I read Aussies complaining about their shitty Internet coverage on Reddit.

Can't imagine entire game streaming over the Internet without any issues for another 2-3decades.
if you have dedicated australian servers, its not that hard to stream without lag with australian players

some interesting keypoints from the article, ty for sharing..
Stadia will stream games from the cloud to the Chrome browser, Chromecast, and Pixel devices
Google will amplify this game streaming service by using YouTube

Google demonstrated a new feature in YouTube that lets you view a game clip from a creator and then hit “play now” to instantly stream the title.
(this feature was introduced by Unity Ads, which is going to get acquired by google as per news results)

Google demonstrated moving gameplay seamlessly from a phone to a tablet and then to a TV, all using Google-powered devices.

More than 50 billion hours of gaming content was watched on YouTube during 2018 (EXCEPTIONAL)

it includes a lobby system to let you match up with YouTube content creators.

Google says more than 100 studios already have dev kits for Stadia, and more than 1,000 creatives and engineers are already working on titles that will work on the service.

Microsoft, Amazon also appears to be readying a similar service

But Finally:

This thing is full of DRM, Its again Gooogle the game changer..

It will surely take few years, but it is the future..

As someone mentioned above, leverage hardware costs but ++ subscription costs, even a non-gamer will definetly try to get indulged in this (some point of time) **IMPORTANT**

lot more to discuss, kindly someone mention your views on DRM ?

I have mixed feelings about this..

The point is giants like Sony & Nvidia already have something like this right now. Still it is not that popular or widespread due to many limitations. Lack of dedicated servers and latency are some of the major concerns.
The target audience is not as huge as say something like Netflix.

However since its Google, you never know. They are promising 8k feasibility in the future.

^ sony and nvidia failed because its very expensive to run and maintain data centers for continous streaming for thousands of people at a time.

But I think google and amazon/witch can do this if they're committed to it.

I have mixed feelings about this..

The point is giants like Sony & Nvidia already have something like this right now. Still it is not that popular or widespread due to many limitations. Lack of dedicated servers and latency are some of the major concerns.
The target audience is not as huge as say something like Netflix.

However since its Google, you never know. They are promising 8k feasibility in the future.
Actually the target audience is huge. There are millions of casual gamers or wannabe gamers who cannot/do not want to splurge on expensive consoles and then pay 1000s of rupees of games. Imagine google rolling it out as part of Youtube Red / Premium for an extra Rs. 200 /month! The economies of scale will work in great favour of the likes of google and Amazon.

Every attempt at gaming as a service has had limited success due to internet infrastructure. Till that improves, don't expect too much. We already have games streaming for PS3/PS4 games available as a service for PS4/PC. I don't see this being any different. Casual single player gaming would be possible, but forget multi player gaming for now.

For this to take off in any real sense, we need to have optic fiber as standard end to end and overall internet infrastructure improved vastly.

Back