Web+DB Linux development machine - 20K budget

silverbyte

Disciple
hi guys,

I am looking for a web dev machine for taking on a ruby-on-rails project for a client. We will also be running local databases, memcache, etc. for development.

my desired specs:

Will be working on Ubuntu

1. Processor + mobo - dual cores .

1.1 need VT-X support (will be running Virtualbox sometimes)

1.2 prefer a lower wattage CPU - cooler operation + power savings.

2. 4 GB RAM

3. 320 GB HDD

4. 17 in monitor - we can compromise on this.

5. wireless PCI - that's right. we want to avoid wiring up our office and prefer running a wireless desktop. Any advice on linux compatibility ?

6. Decent power supply - I have learnt my lesson ;) Would a 450W Cooler Master be enough ?

7. CoolerMaster 310 or Zebronics Bijli cabby maybe. Need to keep it cheap.

Please help guys - we are planning on buying 4-5 of these machines.

Thanks!!

hello guys,
I was thinking of the following, could someone please comment
1. processor - Athlon X2 240
2. motherboard - need advice. I dont need DDR3 RAM, but I want it cheap and if possible a decent integrated graphics (not buying graphics card). I was thinking Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
3. Power supply - I was thinking Cooler Master 450W. Can I do with a lesser rated power (less than 400W ?) supply. I am very paranoid about power supply, since I have seen a lot of desktops go kaput.
4. Monitor - we were thinking Acer. Is it the best VFM ?

Please help guys...

If you are planning for 4-5 machines, consider building 1 with quad core and lot of ram with the rest with cheaper dual cores with less ram. Your quad can serve a vm each per user and you guys just have to use IDE and the rest.

If you still want to go for all dual core ones,

1. Go for X2 250 A small performance gain for small cost

2. Go for a cheaper mobo than the gigabyte. Think Biostar, ECS and others are pretty decent. I have seen systems built on Biostar and ECS(mine) boards running for 8+ years.

3. PSU - Yes, you are thinking in the right direction. Think there are few underrated PSUs in the market that might give value for money. But trying them out is PITA. Think others might suggest better.

4. Dont compromise on monitor size. You will be spending a lot of time in front of it. SO go for bigger screen. You dont have to be very specific on refresh rate and the specs. Just go for decent quality bigger screen. You will thank yourself later for this decision :)

We have a quad with high RAM. We need these individual machines to run virtualbox (to sometimes test IE6 :( )

We have limited table size - so we can go for max 17-19 in.

I am not restricted to AMD - if any really cheap and good intel proc+mobo combinations are available, I'm willing to for it. I dont need even 2.8Ghz - web/DB are memory constrained rather than CPU.

help guys..

If there is a lot of data transfer happening on the machines, it makes sense in buying a SSD or a faster hard disk.

Have a look at the Intel i3 530 combos, their thermal footprint are the lowest.

Aces170 said:
If there is a lot of data transfer happening on the machines, it makes sense in buying a SSD or a faster hard disk.

Have a look at the Intel i3 530 combos, their thermal footprint are the lowest.

Cant afford them .. :(

We need 4-5 of these machines.. every rupee counts.

This much I know - need 4GB of RAM, can manage with 17in monitor and need a decent power supply (I'm not clear on this.. 350W..450W ?) . Everything else I can go for anything.

any suggestions, keeping the budget under 20K ?

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Athlon II X2 240(2.8Ghz, 2 cores, 2MB Cache) 2875

Motherboard Biostar A785GE 3325

RAM 4GB(2*2) 800MHz Kingston DDRII RAM 4050

HDD 320 GB WD Blue 1975

GPU On Board Raedon HD4200 -

Monitor Dell E1910IN 5850

Cabinet Zebronics Bijili 1100

PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1450

Wifi TP-Link TL-W353G PCI Wireless Card 750

Total 21375

Usually the 17" monitors have a 8ms response time. 18.5" ones are the norm today.

But then if you are on a very tight budget then its your call.

Processor: AthlonII X2 240 - 2.8k

Motherboard: Biostar TA785G3 - 3.6k

Ram: Transcend 2x2gb DDR3 1333mhz - 5.2k

HDD: Seagate 320 GB 7200.12 - 1.95k

Cabinet: Zebronics Bijili - 1k

SMPS: FSP SAGAII 350w - 1.4k

Monitor: Dell 1709W - 5.7k / Dell E1910N - 6k

WiFi: TP-Link TL-W353G PCI Wireless Card - .7k

Total - 22.4k / 22.7k

silverbyte said:
Excellent!
Just one important question - is 350W enough for this config ?

More than enough the PC wont consume more than 120-150w even if you run benchmarks to put 100% load on the config.

FSP is a major PSU OEM. The PSU is pretty decent and is sufficient for your needs.:)

Back