Web Development

bond_bhai

Disciple
Guys,
What is the best way to "start" with web development? Which languages/platforms should one start with? Assuming the person knows only basic Java, what is the best route? Can you please help?

Start off with HTML and CSS. You cannot have a website without those on any platform.
Then move on to Javascript. adn javascript library like jQuery (believe me you never stop learning javascript/jquery :p )

Since you already know basic Java . PHP would be more easier compared to Javascript . The notations seem to be wierd to me in javascript. Start off with HTML and CSS - HTML & CSS . Tizag is also a good starting point .

Since you already know basic Java . PHP would be more easier compared to Javascript . The notations seem to be wierd to me in javascript. Start off with HTML and CSS - HTML & CSS . Tizag is also a good starting point .

How can you compare both of them. They are obviously meant for totally different tasks. And even the most basic sites now have some sort of javascript for client side validation (this is a basic requirement now) , ui enhancements etc etc.

Also HTML CSS JS are required no matter on which platform you code. So better to learn them first.

No matter if you learn PHP, RoR or any other language. You must learn Javascript and Ajax to make your web applications more powerful :) PHP and JS are two different leagues. But I think you are suggesting him to learn PHP first because of the weird notations and syntax of Javascript. Well, Javascript isn't that hard. It is very very easy to be honest.

@bond_bhai : Here's what I suggest, I am sure you will thank me for this :D Get an account on Codecademy (it is free of cost). Start with this course : HTML & CSS for Beginners | Codecademy Their interactive learning system is beautiful. You not only read or refer, you practice what you have learned there. I learned basics of Javascript and JQuery there only. Once you finish with HTML, CSS course material and since you are familiar with Java (i.e. OOP) you are good to go with Javascript. Finish all the lessons here : JavaScript | Codecademy and now develop a mini project based on HTML, CSS and Javascript (Simple, nothing fancy and big). When you find yourself comfortable with HTML, CSS and Javascript. You are good to go and learn almost ANY web development technology out there (say PHP, ASP.NET MVC)..

Go, spend some time on Codecademy.com. It will help you a lot, believe me.

^^ Agree, there is no working around JavaScript in the Web development world in this era. As far as JS as a language features goes, it is really very easy to learn. What you then need to concentrate on is how to use JavaScript in your web development aspects. Apart from inherent the DOM support provided by the browsers, there are various third party frameworks to make things easy like jQuery for simplifying DOM manipulation, requrie.js for JavaScript Module management, backbone as an MVC framework, Handlebars as a template engine etc.

@techygeek @Rahul++ I was comparing them in a learning point of view . One is Server Side Script and the other is a Client Side Script there is nothing in common except both are used in web development .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back