Weird BSNL Problem!

I have a Billion Bipac 5200S.

Running it with Airtel right now. No issues at all.
I've recently acquired BSNL connection too.

There's a weird problem though. I've configured my router/modem for BSNL now.
The ADSL and PPP LED are fine (which means connection is active & username/password combo is working fine) ...
But then the connection just won't work! :S

The same when checked with the BSNL guys' own CHEAP modem works like a charm! :ashamed:
I'm guessing I'm missing out on some of the more intricate details.
For the people in the know, this particular modem has lots and lots of options..

Can someone using the same modem with BSNL help me out on the settings apart from the usual ones ??

For example : Details like 'Default Route', 'RIP2B' etc etc .. ?
I've already set the VPI, VCI, Modulation, username, password and all that stuff..

Really confused! :S

I don't have the same make, but check if you've set :

Encapsulation : PPPoE

IP Address/Get IP from ISP : Dynamic

Idle timeout : 0

Multiplexing method : LLC Based

VPI : 0

VCI : 35

DSL Mode : Auto (Multimode)

leave Default route, RIP and other stuff untouched.

hope this helps.

true_power said:
I don't have the same make, but check if you've set :

Encapsulation : PPPoE
IP Address/Get IP from ISP : Dynamic
Idle timeout : 0

Multiplexing method : LLC Based
VPI : 0
VCI : 35
DSL Mode : Auto (Multimode)

leave Default route, RIP and other stuff untouched.
hope this helps.

Shouldn't DSL Mode be G.DMT ??
and What IS default settings for those default route, RIP et all ??

^^^ g.dmt, multimode, adsl+(if router supports it), adsl2+(if router supports it)...any of 'em would do...setting the modulation to g.dmt or multimode will give you better snr margin...as for the rest of the parameters, wait for the bsnl users...

"The same when checked with the BSNL guys' own CHEAP modem works like a charm! "

hey buddy i have been using this so called CHEAP modem for about a year now

n it wrks like a charm

never had ne problem with it ............

maybe u r BRANDED modem is faulty..........

neways never judje nethng on its price

blackheart said:
"The same when checked with the BSNL guys' own CHEAP modem works like a charm! "

hey buddy i have been using this so called CHEAP modem for about a year now

n it wrks like a charm

never had ne problem with it ............

maybe u r BRANDED modem is faulty..........

neways never judje nethng on its price
lol - I didn't mean to offend anyone. :cool2:
Just wanted to get the point through. That's all!

Just a check, does google.com or orkut.com open up?

If your external IP starts with 117.xxx, then your on BSNL's new Multiplay system.

You need to put your Billion in "Bridged" mode. Create a PPPoE connection in Windows (Select it from the Create New Connection Wizard), enter your Usrname/Pw and connect like a dialup connection.

=CrAzYG33K= said:
Shouldn't DSL Mode be G.DMT ??
and What IS default settings for those default route, RIP et all ??

Auto chooses the best DSL Mode available(G.DMT/Adsl+/Adsl2+). Default route, RIP all stuffs are used only if you have multiple routers(at your place) bridged. you should leave them as it is(in other words it should be empty).

what are your Line Atteneuation and Noise Margins ? the ideal should be

| Upstream | Downstream
speed 1 | 2048kbps | 256kbps
Attenuation | 20db | 2db
Noise | 30db | 31db
line noise should be less than 35db i think.

(1 promised connection speed * 1024, e.g 8192kbps for 8mb connection, if you see 8180kbps, there is problem)

if the figures aren't not even close, check your line filter.

you sure the IP address and subnet masks on the router correspond to what you put in your operating system's TCP/IP settings ?.

^^^ well as for the line attenuation...it depends on the distance of the user from the exchange...so it need not necessarily be that low...greater the distance from the exchange, higher will be the line attenuation...ideally, lower the line attenuation, the better...a line attenuation of 2db is possible if you stay very close to your exchange, so it need not be the same for others...as for the noise, it stands for the noise margin...higher, the better...ideally it should be above 12, if it dips to 6 or below, you will loose sync...as the bandwidth increases, the noise margin decreases...if the noise margin/SNR margin is too low, get your line checked by a linesman...

if a 8mbps(8192kbps) connection shows a sync of 8180kbps, it does not mean there is a problem...the upstream and downstream sync rates will depend upon noise/snr margin, line attenuation and modulation type...depending on these factors the sync rate can possibly be lower than promised...

@crazygeek: you must be definitely missing out on one of the parameters, get all the necessary settings from CC or any one of the bsnl user...

^ I had got it working! :D

The Billion modem somehow couldn't change its settings to use with BSNL. I don't even know how...

By the way, I'm using Dlink GLB-502T now with BSNL and everything looks fine now! The Billion modem is still configured to work with Airtel and it does work like a charm! :)

virtua_pirate said:
1, .....a line attenuation of 2db is possible if you stay very close to your exchange

2, ......ideally it should be above 12, if it dips to 6 or below, you will loose sync...as the bandwidth increases, the noise margin decreases

3, ......if a 8mbps(8192kbps) connection shows a sync of 8180kbps, it does not mean there is a problem

1, i'm atleast 2kms away from the exchange, recently they've replaced my line and i'm using imported high quality telephone cable.

2, the BSNL JE who came to inspect the connectivity problem told SNR should be under 35db, but he didn't say a thing about minimum.

3, Well, it does mean there is a problem at BSNL's side. I've observed if the sync isn't a multiple of 8 & 1024 for uploads & downloads respectively, it might connect, but the data isn't transmitted/received and is confirmed by the BSNL JE.

^^^ the line attenution which you are getting must be because of a better line from the exchange to your house...well for snr margin, higher the better, no max limit...may this clear some of your doubts...as for the sync rate...mtnl promises 2mbps(2048kbps) but i am currently synced at 2013kbps, and net is working absolutely fine under adsl2+ modulation...now, if i change my modulation to either g.dmt or multimode, which increases my snr margin and thus helps me syncing at higher rates i.e 2048kbps...so a sync rate should never be an issue for connectivity, rather its just a bottleneck to the promised speed...FYI, the same can be confirmed at any of the forums dedicated only for broadband...;)

cheers...

Back