Monitors Weird Monitor Cable Issue

Hi,

I am using a Samsung LCD monitor that comes with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Everything's working fine , till now, but recently my resolution changed to max 1600 x 1200. There;s no option for 1920 x 1080. The same thing happened in both my OS - Win 7 and Win 8.

I tried changing my VGA cable with my friends' and everything works great, and I can even select 1920 x 1080 resolution. I bought two VGA cables from the market, but both have the same problem, but only my friends' cable works great. Weird.

Should I buy DVI cable instead? If yes, then which one? DVI D, DVI I and all, its confusing. I think my monitor has DVI D dual link output, but my motherboard has DVI I dual link out. So now, which cable should I buy?

Would be great if someone can help me here. I am really confused.

With high resolutions you will notice a considerable improvement in text sharpness, overall picture quality when using a DVI cable.
You need to buy a DVI-D cable. Better if you can get a Dual Link cable. This will be required if you want to connect a monitor with resolution above 1920x1080 in the future.

If you have a monitor with DVI input, it might have come with a DVI-D cable.

The DVI-I on the motherboard is given so that you can using a DVI-VGA converter for use with older monitors having only VGA input.

Refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Referring to the images on the Wiki page, it is clear that your motherboard/graphics card has a Dual Link DVI-I connector and your monitor has a Dual Link DVI-D connector.
So, a DVI-D either Single or Dual Link cable would work for you.

Just a note for visitors, I was under the impression that a DVI-D Single link cable will support a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 but I just checked, I have 2 monitors running at 2048x1152 each using Single Link DVI-D cables.

Yes.
Here is a pic of the connector of the cable that came with my Dell Monitors. Both ends are identical

noFehiA.jpg

@OP I too have faced the same issue, and when using a genuine Samsung cable, did not face it anymore. This is with a 46" TV, so would suggest to relook the cable.

Back