Storage Solutions Weird problem in mobile's microSD card... Help!!

boogeyman

Adept
I have a Verbatim 8GB class 4 microSD card. I have been using it in my LG Optimus 2X for almost a year now without any problems. However, recently while listening to music, it stopped and my phone got hung because of it. I restarted my phone, I was able to see the files using File Manager but was just unable to open any of them.

I have a card-reader at home and I tried to read the card from it on my PC. I was able to see the files and folders intact. However, when I copied files and folders from it, only 1 file got copied to my PC, after which the card got "detached". The "Removable Disk" is nowhere to be seen. So again, I removed the card reader and attached it back to PC. Again I was able to see the files. Copied one file successfully. When I try to copy another file, I get the error, "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (K:)"

It seems that data is intact, but I just cant copy more than one file at a time without re-plugging in the card at each try. Please help. What could be wrong?

The card must be giving I/O errors on reading, intermittently. Normal software to read from such media will be very painful, you'll have to get each file separately and maybe even parts of each file. You need recovery software.

Not sure how to do it on windows, but on Linux ddrescue works wonders for some of these issues. I am sure tools exist for windows too.

Or You can download live CD of Ubuntu, boot from it, copy data to hard disk using "ddrescue -dr3".

The card must be giving I/O errors on reading, intermittently. Normal software to read from such media will be very painful, you'll have to get each file separately and maybe even parts of each file. You need recovery software.

Not sure how to do it on windows, but on Linux ddrescue works wonders for some of these issues. I am sure tools exist for windows too.

Or You can download live CD of Ubuntu, boot from it, copy data to hard disk using "ddrescue -dr3".

I have a Linux Mint VM in VMWare. I'm pretty sure I can pass the card reader through to the VM. Is it possible to get ddrescue for Linux Mint? I'm a Linux n00b

I have a Linux Mint VM in VMWare. I'm pretty sure I can pass the card reader through to the VM. Is it possible to get ddrescue for Linux Mint? I'm a Linux n00b

Ok. Never used Mint, so cannot be completely sure of the process. But in general, as it should be in any kind of linux, these are the steps. There should not be any risk as there is no destructive activity. Report back if output / behaviour of any step is substantially different from what is mentioned below. So after passing through the card reader to the VM.

1. Open terminal
2. sudo -s
Give password
3. fdisk -l
Will print all the hard disks and partitions. Find the one which appears like your SD card(from size and model number). Suppose it is /dev/sdx1
4. apt-get install ddrescue
Will install ddrescue
5. ddrescue -dr 10 /dev/sdx1 /tmp/rescuedSDCard /tmp/logfile
Will take some time. After this finishes, you can remove the SD card from the reader, or the reader from the VM or the reader from the computer.
6. mkdir /media/rescsdcard
7. mount -o loop /tmp/rescuedSDCard /media/rescsdcard
Now open the /media/rescsdcard folder in your file manager.

I had a microSD with the "The disk needs to be formatted" error
Formatted it and recovered every single bit of data with original file names using Easeus Data Recovery.The microSD contained all kinds of data. Images,mp3s,firefox profiles,opera profiles,docs etc. You can try that
If you dont wanna format. Try Testdisk

Ok. Never used Mint, so cannot be completely sure of the process. But in general, as it should be in any kind of linux, these are the steps. There should not be any risk as there is no destructive activity. Report back if output / behaviour of any step is substantially different from what is mentioned below. So after passing through the card reader to the VM.

1. Open terminal
2. sudo -s
Give password
3. fdisk -l
Will print all the hard disks and partitions. Find the one which appears like your SD card(from size and model number). Suppose it is /dev/sdx1
4. apt-get install ddrescue
Will install ddrescue
5. ddrescue -dr 10 /dev/sdx1 /tmp/rescuedSDCard /tmp/logfile
Will take some time. After this finishes, you can remove the SD card from the reader, or the reader from the VM or the reader from the computer.
6. mkdir /media/rescsdcard
7. mount -o loop /tmp/rescuedSDCard /media/rescsdcard
Now open the /media/rescsdcard folder in your file manager.

Thanks. ddrescue is running now. It takes a loooong while. I would say about 350MB is done out of 8GB. So I'll keep it on overnight.

I had a microSD with the "The disk needs to be formatted" error
Formatted it and recovered every single bit of data with original file names using Easeus Data Recovery.The microSD contained all kinds of data. Images,mp3s,firefox profiles,opera profiles,docs etc. You can try that
If you dont wanna format. Try Testdisk

Will try this if ddrescue is not successful

Back