What are the best good Mutual Fund management platforms?

Just wanted to give a heads up on a possible con to investing in MFs via Zerodha.

Apparently, because of the way SIPs in Zerodha are implemented, should an AMC stop accepting lump sum investments in any of its schemes, SIPs through Zerodha stand discontinued too.

https://tradingqna.com/t/reliance-small-cap-not-to-accept-lump-sum-investments/36083

Another con to investing through any of the MF platforms is that not all of the AMCs are made available on them. Should the one AMC you are interested in investing be missing, you'll need to invest through alternative means.

HTH.

Do you own research and invest through direct funds from each individual AMCs. Most of the AMCs have their own site. You can make a account in Valueresearchonline, Moneycontrol and various other platform to keep track.

MFU India has most of the fund houses. Only a few fund houses are missing.
For the ones which are missing, you can go directly fo the fund house.

I recently started trying out Kuvera, not big on features, but its neat and has been working good so far.
Are you following their recommendations? Or are you doing your own analysis and investing?

I have an account but have not invested anything yet through them.

It is always better to do your own research. You can backtest your theories in various portfolio sites. After you think you are ready then start investing. Kudos to site like Valueresearchonline and morningstar.in which provide valuable knowledge. I like moneycontrol, but the site is just a mess with everything.

Thanks for the great info about Direct MF. Was planning to open up new SIPs and this came in very handy and at the right moment.

A word of caution though: a downside of the Direct MF is that most likely your records will only be online (no hard copies) and ("God forbid" ) in case of the nominee requiring Redemption later; they will have to be very conversant with the whole thing. (Online/App passwords , PAN number & other investment details etc.)

A word of caution though: a downside of the Direct MF is that most likely your records will only be online (no hard copies) and ("God forbid" ) in case of the nominee requiring Redemption later; they will have to be very conversant with the whole thing. (Online/App passwords , PAN number & other investment details etc.)
The investment that you make are not just registered with that MF Fund house, it is registered via one of the regulatory bodies like CAMS & KARVY which in turn are compliant with the SEBI. You will see that you will get a report with all the details monthly. The MF also assigns a portfolio number which is unique. So this is a digital age, there is no requirement of a hard copy. Yes, please make sure your nominee details are correctly registered, and your nominee have all the details of your portfolios, investments, etc.
The advantages of a Direct MF is on a higher side - check any MF - the expense ratio of Direct Vs Regular are almost 1 to 1.5 % for top rated equity schemes

Yeah, don't think its going to be much of a problem since Folio number is also available. Also, from what I have read, NSDL is making a strong push towards holding MF's in Demat form so much so that this might become the only way to buy MF's in future.

I needed to get a 80c tax saver recently and the bank kept pushing some MF tax saver on me. I told them to just give me their own thing. Can MF's beat FD's in a period of 5 years ? if the market goes well maybe but i don't think it will. I've always heard these kinds of investments pay off after twenty years on average

I needed to get a 80c tax saver recently and the bank kept pushing some MF tax saver on me. I told them to just give me their own thing. Can MF's beat FD's in a period of 5 years ? if the market goes well maybe but i don't think it will. I've always heard these kinds of investments pay off after twenty years on average
This is the common mistake everybody does with their investment. There are other better ways to save tax, one way to save tax is to increase the %age of the PF investment (employee contribution) you can invest more than the 12%. No debt instrument can provide a guranteeed return like PF (it was 8.65% last year and 8.55% this year). You can also put into ELSS (either equity which has certain lock in period). However, the moment lock in period is completed remove them out and put into better investment.
Investment planning is achieved through goal settings and proper strategy. Please do not invest just because you want to save money. Go through sites like moneycontrol, valueresearchonline, morningstar or even you tube videos on basics on investing

Yeah, don't think its going to be much of a problem since Folio number is also available. Also, from what I have read, NSDL is making a strong push towards holding MF's in Demat form so much so that this might become the only way to buy MF's in future.
Small correction, the Direct MF that you can buy from AMC directly are not in demat, they are digital but not demat. Demat means that you have an account like ShareKhan, ICICI Direct and buy direct MF (not all platform allow it).

Are you following their recommendations? Or are you doing your own analysis and investing?
I have an account but have not invested anything yet through them.
No, I don't follow their recommendations. In fact, when you choose a goal in Kuvera, it throws you with a bucket load of funds to diversify and invest, most of which I hardly know.
I just do my own analysis ans do my own experimentations. Within one year, I have tried out at least 6+ funds, and quit out of a couple in the process of experimenting and testing :D. Now, kind of starting to settle down to a balanced portfolio.

It totally depends on your risk appetite. Yes, ELSS/Equity can give you 12+% returns over the long term, but they can be very risky too. If you are very conservative, park only a very nominal amount(which you wouldn't regret losing) in mutual funds, rest of it can be utilized in VPF/PPF etc.,
If you are a balanced/aggressive, then take the risks, but be sure to invest in ELSS/Equity only if you are going to be in it for the long run, that typically is 5+ years.

Small correction, the Direct MF that you can buy from AMC directly are not in demat, they are digital but not demat. Demat means that you have an account like ShareKhan, ICICI Direct and buy direct MF (not all platform allow it).

Yeah, I understand that. I am trying to say that buying from AMC or other platforms directly without necessity of demat account may not be an option available in future. NSDL wants people to hold their MF's in dematerialized form just like stock purchases.

Depends on kind of Funds. Equity funds have higher risk and higher chance of rewards. Debt funds are more stable, but returns seem to be in 8-9% range. Both are better than FD's at this juncture. The returns of Tax saving FD is fully taxable even if you get exemption on principal (subject to 80C limit of 1.5 lac). The interest rate is typically 5.5 - 6.0 %.

A 5 year FD for 1,00,000 @ 6% compounded quarterly will yield 34,685.50 as interest. Assuming you are in 30% tax bracket, you will pay 31.2% effective = 10,821.88 as tax leaving you with returns of Rs 23,863.62.

Even debt funds can give better returns. A high risk high reward equity Fund can yield better returns in a year. For example, below is the returns of L&T Emerging Businesses Fund over last year which is 30.8%. Long term capital gains were not taxable till last year and this year, gains above 1 Lac are taxable @ 10%.

upload_2018-4-3_11-30-42.png

Yeah, I understand that. I am trying to say that buying from AMC or other platforms directly without necessity of demat account may not be an option available in future. NSDL wants people to hold their MF's in dematerialized form just like stock purchases.
In one way, it is good. It is easier to track the whole portfolio even when buying from direct AMC's.
But annual demat maintenance charges are a downer.

In one way, it is good. It is easier to track the whole portfolio even when buying from direct AMC's.
But annual demat maintenance charges are a downer.
Not necessarily, you can always track your investment in any of the portfolio management site for free - like moneycontrol, valueresearchonline, etc. You need to have a little patience and time to make sure you make your entries as you transact them. In fact they are sometimes better with the amount of details they show you. However, as I stated earlier, the biggest factor is most of the demat accounts do not allow buying of "Direct MF" - the 1 -1.5% make a huge difference in the long run.

Depends on kind of Funds. Equity funds have higher risk and higher chance of rewards. Debt funds are more stable, but returns seem to be in 8-9% range. Both are better than FD's at this juncture.
For the debt funds, just want to highlight that if you are a NRI investor, it is better to invest in FD - I think yes / RBL is providing at 7.25% for 3 years. The NRE FD are tax free on maturity which will beat the Debt funds (liquid / ultra short term / short term) even though indexation is taken into account

Depends on kind of Funds. Equity funds have higher risk and higher chance of rewards. Debt funds are more stable, but returns seem to be in 8-9% range. Both are better than FD's at this juncture. The returns of Tax saving FD is fully taxable even if you get exemption on principal (subject to 80C limit of 1.5 lac). The interest rate is typically 5.5 - 6.0 %.

A 5 year FD for 1,00,000 @ 6% compounded quarterly will yield 34,685.50 as interest. Assuming you are in 30% tax bracket, you will pay 31.2% effective = 10,821.88 as tax leaving you with returns of Rs 23,863.62.

Even debt funds can give better returns. A high risk high reward equity Fund can yield better returns in a year. For example, below is the returns of L&T Emerging Businesses Fund over last year which is 30.8%. Long term capital gains were not taxable till last year and this year, gains above 1 Lac are taxable @ 10%.

View attachment 74454
Nice rosy picture there but what is the risk associated with these MF's ?

This year is uncertain with all this talk of trade war going on. I know what Trump is trying to do and support it but if things don't work out then stock markets are going to take a beating. We face a recession by years end in that case. What will that do for your returns

Nice rosy picture there but what is the risk associated with these MF's ?

This year is uncertain with all this talk of trade war going on. I know what Trump is trying to do and support it but if things don't work out then stock markets are going to take a beating. We face a recession by years end in that case. What will that do for your returns
All equity funds are risker, you only mitigate the risk using 2 methods, long duration (keeping the fund for such a long term as in the long term these ups & downs gets negated) and portfolio balancing (the ratio of less riskier + high risk based on the return expectation). If you ask me, this is the best time to buy some funds, as the top ranked funds are now what they were 6 - 7 months back

All equity funds are risker, you only mitigate the risk using 2 methods, long duration (keeping the fund for such a long term as in the long term these ups & downs gets negated) and portfolio balancing (the ratio of less riskier + high risk based on the return expectation). If you ask me, this is the best time to buy some funds, as the top ranked funds are now what they were 6 - 7 months back
meaning their value has dropped, if things turn out bad after a few months they could become cheaper still ?

Long term as i understand it is 20 yrs, as you said the highs and lows get smoothed out

Back