Audio what does impedance mean for earphones?

archish

Skilled
I have been looking to buy a good earphone and found that some earphones have 16ohms impedance and some have 32 ohms impedance. Some mention 32 ohms nominal impedance. What does it mean? a layman explanation would be nice. in wiki i ended up with equations :hap5:

simply put .. impedance wd refer to obstruction offered to signal (electrical) ..

The impedance tells you basically how much current will flow through a speaker at a certain voltage

U mite think that lower the impedance.. higher and better the o/p ..?

A lower impedance figure doesn't make life easier for an amplifier as on the contrary it means the speaker sucks more amplifier power for a given output

The speaker impedance only indicates how to drive the speaker to full power, that is, use an amplifier with a matching output impedance.

Electrical impedance is a measure of opposition to a sinusoidal electric current. or an AC electric current .

The concept of electrical impedance generalizes Ohm's law

Its not entirely like resistance as Unlike electrical resistance, the impedance can be a complex number

Impedence can be calculated with the help of the equation :

Z = V/T

where
V = phasor voltage across the element

T = phasor current through the element

Phasor is the complex peak amplitude of a sinusoidal function

I hope i supplied smthin good .. ? its still very brief..

Actually, even though more power is sucked, the Sound Quality is better with Lower Impedance Ear or Headphones. With speakers its the other way around.

@ goldenfrag,

are you sure of what you just said ? do some research before posting it :D

most high end headphones are high impedence ones (300 ohms and up), the ones like Sennheiser HD 600/650 and likewise.

Empirically, higher impedence gives a more controlled sound, while lower impedence are more dynamic and punchier.

well, afaik, higher impedance doesn't necessarily imply higher quality. But it does guarantee higher stability when you connect multiple speakers in parallel.

Ive done research m8.

I was really puzzled like this only, since thE PC150's had 32 Ohms resistance, and the PC160 (which i eventually ordered) have 16 Ohms resistance.

I read into a lot, about 2 weeks back. Now i know what im talking about mate :).

There is no way you can tell sound quality from the impedence of a earphone. The two parameters are quite independent.

Earphone impedence specification is important to ensure that the amplifier has the ability to drive it.

My advice is to just make sure that the source that is going to drive the earphone can do so. Generally speaking, a higher impedence is safer from the point of view of safety of your equipment. But not necessarily better from the point of view of quality. Then again, if you use a higher impedence earphone when a lower impedence is specified for the amplifier, you'll loose out on power.

In layman's terms, what are you going to connect the earphones to? What have they specified should be the impedence of the earphones? There you have it.

Well higher impedance does not necessarily mean high quality, but lets put it this way... all high end cans are high impedance(300 ohm) and hence higher impedance has become synonymous with good quality. For high impedance cans, say 300ohm and certain 32 ohm, yoo'd need a headphone amplifier.

Back