What does working in an IT job involve?

#kvikram

Technologies can be Oracle, SAP, Some other ERP, Java based, anything else, all depends.

And yes IT Employees are over worked but the average starting salary in IT company is IMO more than any other industry. Also when it comes to IT, remember that as you climb the corporate ladder, your variable pay increases which means most of your salary is variable and depends on your / company performance etc etc.

The best part of being in IT industry is you can get a chance to go onsite and roam the world. And yes you get paid good too. Depending on client and project, the work at onsite can be more or less.

There is no timing if you are working in IT company. The days when you have normal / less work, you leave office by 6, they days you have timelines to be met you can even leave at 11 in night (i know i have done this).

If you pursue MBA you can still get into IT company and get a functional position rather than a technical guy.

Or you can get lucky and get a functional position from the beginning.

#kvikram

Technologies can be Oracle, SAP, Some other ERP, Java based, anything else, all depends.

And yes IT Employees are over worked but the average starting salary in IT company is IMO more than any other industry. Also when it comes to IT, remember that as you climb the corporate ladder, your variable pay increases which means most of your salary is variable and depends on your / company performance etc etc.

The best part of being in IT industry is you can get a chance to go onsite and roam the world. And yes you get paid good too. Depending on client and project, the work at onsite can be more or less.

There is no timing if you are working in IT company. The days when you have normal / less work, you leave office by 6, they days you have timelines to be met you can even leave at 11 in night (i know i have done this).

If you pursue MBA you can still get into IT company and get a functional position rather than a technical guy.

Are u from Infy #raksrules??

Well, IT Job is most boring job. Sit in front of Computer for hours and hours (May be whole life). I am regretting my decision of falling into Computers
<
(I decided to go with it because I am good at it, but the job critics scares me off
<
)

#rakesh_ic - Have we ever met/ had a talk before? Are you from XDA?

Say if I have a degree in Computer engineering from a foreign university and 1-2 years work experience in a foreign country, would it be easier for me to get a good paying job in IT compared to say if I had all of that in India itself? Are there any high paid programming jobs or are such pay scales only reserved for management jobs?

#Mephistopheles

Have a degree from a good universtity deifinitely helps. You may get a better pay based on your 2 years of experience abroad but all depends on what role you are looking at when joining an indian company.

The max salary for a junior developer (Software Engineer, or Senior SE) are most or less quite fixed (+/- 1.5 lakhs). You may get a much better role in an Indian company depending on ur work experience.

But remember, no matter where u have worked; u would have go through multiple rounds of interview for the selection process

Well, IT Job is most boring job. Sit in front of Computer for hours and hours (May be whole life). I am regretting my decision of falling into Computers
<
(I decided to go with it because I am good at it, but the job critics scares me off
<
) #rakesh_ic - Have we ever met/ had a talk before? Are you from XDA?

Yes i am from XDA and a proud owner of SGS. I had used ur ROM in the past and have been waiting for a new release from quite some time now.

Yeah I'm not implying that I wont have to go through interviews, or that I'll get a well paying job from the start.

What is the most one could possibly earn from a programming/software development job? Are payscales of 10lakh+ possible or one would have to go into management?

#Mephistopheles Have a degree from a good universtity deifinitely helps. You may get a better pay based on your 2 years of experience abroad but all depends on what role you are looking at when joining an indian company. The max salary for a junior developer (Software Engineer, or Senior SE) are most or less quite fixed (+/- 1.5 lakhs). You may get a much better role in an Indian company depending on ur work experience. But remember, no matter where u have worked; u would have go through multiple rounds of interview for the selection process

Also to add.. once u have some work experience, you will be subjected to interviews with your experience under consideration. so what you are offered mainly depends on your current salary and the company can offer for a person with 'x' experience.

For example:: If i have an exp of 3 yrs with 100000 (per annum) as salary, and if the company can pay upto 2L for an experience of 3 yrs for a person with my technical skills, I might get 1L+20K or 1L+30K (usually its 20% which is compulsory hike) depending upon how well i perform in the interview. there is a chance of getting 50% to 60% depending upon the requirement of the company(if it is pretty urgent).

[sub]2+ years of experience abroad and foreign degree can get u a 8 lakhs + salary without much diffuculty. for 10l+ u would have to aim for high paying IT comanies i.e. any other company apart from IBM, INFY, Wipro, TCS:)[/sub]

Yeah I'm not implying that I wont have to go through interviews, or that I'll get a well paying job from the start. What is the most one could possibly earn from a programming/software development job? Are payscales of 10lakh+ possible or one would have to go into management?

An IT company is not all about software. there are roles like Business Analyst who are essentially paid higher than the SE recruits. To qualify for such roles, MBA and some industry experience with high domain and business knowledge is essential. But for a SE to earn a 10L+ annual package is not possible with Indian companies.

...in my first year of University my Prof. asked the class of all Comp Sci students as to how many lines of new code do we think we will write in a day at work, after being Computer Scientists...

We all had varied answers from a 100 lines to 1000 but you know what he replied:

That we would be lucky to even code one NEW line in a week.

And thats true. I have worked as a Programmer, for an European IT giant, for 4 years and this was true, even now I am in IT and though not a programmer any more, but I really still doubt if my programmers write even that much code.

Not discussing Salarys here just how it is to work in IT.

The worst part about my job is my drive to office in Hinjiwadi.

So who are the guys who actually write the code?

It goes like this - U never try to reinvent the wheel in s/w.

What ever proj u start with - development or maintenance, you will surely find a headstart of the codes u might be working on from some other proj or from the same proj (in case of maintenance). So there is no necessity for one to code everything from scratch.

And yes IT Employees are over worked but the average starting salary in IT company is IMO more than any other industry.

days you have timelines to be met you can even leave at 11 in night (i know i have done this).

I think starting salary in core companies in many times better (even double) than IT - personal experience. I have joined IT company inspite of a reknowned core company offering me almost double of that. I also have many friends working in core who had starting salary more than mine.

11pm is too early
<
I have left office @ 3 or 4am a few times and 11 was normal in my previous project + had to come few Sat-Sun...

he replied:

That we would be lucky to even code one NEW line in a week.

The worst part about my job is my drive to office in Hinjiwadi.

I am from Mech background with ~2.25yr experience and have written about 10k lines of code so far IIRC (apart from debugging even more number of lines in same period)
<

I agree with you completely on driving to office - in my case its Magarpatta

Back