What does working in an IT job involve?

I still wander what people do in TCS/WIPRO/PATNI/INfosys/Google/Paypal/ etc etc.

I would like to invite all people belonging to C.sc/IT field, to share your job experience.. like

Which company you work for/ At what position you appointed / what actually you have to do there. This will surely help me and all other BE graduates to to prepare themselves for the upcoming scenario.

I am in final year BE (C.sc) , but still i am not able to figure out what actually i have to do after completing it.
<

* I am pretty sure that listening to your experience will surely help me out to proceed in right direction, and even might prove fruitful to get a job.
<

it's 'wonder' LOL
<

@being.smart - you should ask #Metalspree about jobs & stuff. I think he makes loads of money & he has all the flashy Apple gadgets. PM him. And also #Kauzy has many cars. Like many ! So PM him also. If you want phone no.s of these guys then let me know, I will very happy to forward you
<

And you should also PM Saiyan, Gannu, Renegade.

it's 'wonder' LOL
<

@being.smart - you should ask #Metalspree about jobs &amp; stuff. I think he makes loads of money &amp; he has all the flashy Apple gadgets. PM him. And also #Kauzy has many cars. Like many ! So PM him also. If you want phone no.s of these guys then let me know, I will very happy to forward you
<

And you should also PM Saiyan, Gannu, Renegade.

I do not earn monies lamer, all the gadgets and cars are gifts
<
. I am banking on you to gift me the new iPad. #Kauzy is a reech beech with S60 and others.

#Gannu is another one.

I am also doing my B.E (currently in first year) and I would also like to know.

Seriously guys, I need a picture of what really goes on in an IT company. Does it involve coding, and to what extent of complexity? Database work? I have only a vague idea of what all of this means, and knowing only the very basics of C++, what would coding in an actual work environment mean, and to what complexity it would be, I would really like to know.
<

What company should I join, and what kind of work is in each company? How much will doing an MBA make a difference, and what kind of jobs will I get if I do an MBA?

Presently the only idea I have of working in an IT company is infinitely tapping away at the computer.
<
Please elaborate guys.
<

#Being.smart

I work in IT company and i can tell you everything but for that i will need your 200 inch.....no no not that....your 200 inch TV/ projector/whatever.

now since moderators are so keen on deleting posts from GT, may I please ask why is this thread in GT and not in the new section, "education career" or w/e it is?

If joining a big company like Infy, TCS, Wipro and others the one would first under go a training (freshers) for few months, varies from company to company.

In most cases you do not get to pick a technology. They allot you one.

Then starts your stream specific training for couple of more months (again varies) and then you are allocated to a project.

Now depending on your location of work and project requirements, you may straightaway start working daily for 9+ hours or you might be put on bench which essentially means you do not work and just do time pass entire day.

Bench may sound fun but believe me it is not. At least in companies which force you to come to work daily irrespective of you being on bench or on project.

You do not have anything to do entire day and mostly you do not even have internet access. So basically there is nothing to kill time.

Even more frustrating if your friends are on projects and cannot be with you when you are on bench.

If you are on projects, it is a totally different story and you are going to work entire day and even long hours sometimes.Infact in such conditions, you would want to go to bench because of the frustratingly long working hours.

What you work and the kind of work you do depends on your technology.

#raksrules Can you please elaborate on what "technologies" are involved?

And technicalities aside, the present picture seems to be that working in an IT company seems to be hell in the present climate (no offense to anyone). From what you said, and what everybody says, they overwork you, stretch you and squeeze you for meagre salaries. And it takes a very long time to actually get to a very good working position and earn huge salaries.

And even then, you rarely get any free time. Presently, it looks like more like 9:00 - 6:30 rather than 9:00 - 5:00 trend for working hours. And working in weekends!
<

That said, if you have other options, should you even consider working in an IT company?

And then, what kind of jobs do you get if you pursue an MBA?

#kvikram

Technologies can be Oracle, SAP, Some other ERP, Java based, anything else, all depends.

And yes IT Employees are over worked but the average starting salary in IT company is IMO more than any other industry. Also when it comes to IT, remember that as you climb the corporate ladder, your variable pay increases which means most of your salary is variable and depends on your / company performance etc etc.

The best part of being in IT industry is you can get a chance to go onsite and roam the world. And yes you get paid good too. Depending on client and project, the work at onsite can be more or less.

There is no timing if you are working in IT company. The days when you have normal / less work, you leave office by 6, they days you have timelines to be met you can even leave at 11 in night (i know i have done this).

If you pursue MBA you can still get into IT company and get a functional position rather than a technical guy.

Back