What does working in an IT job involve?

^So what does one do as a programmer then? Look at other people's code? Debugging?
True Blue development projects are rare in the IT industry, I was one of those lucky few to have landed development projects where you actually start with a blank slate and have to write both code and documentation from scratch (ofcourse we also generously use ctrl+v). Thinking back it seems to me like the process of allotting project to first timers is arbitrary and you landing a development project depends purely on luck ! I would categorise IT jobs into the following categories 1. Programming R&D - You have to try out new technologies and frameworks. Give developers ideas on what technologies would suit a situation best. Its the best job for a technically oriented person but there are very few positions available and again the allotment will be arbitrary (you need to have connections) at least in my company. You need to have a decent no of years of experience (at least 4), but you must also be young ! 2. Development - You develop code from scratch. Its nothing like your collage lab exam scenario. A big chunk of your time will be taken up by having to read books and goggling because most of the time you wont fully understand what you are trying to code ! especially if you start out on a dev project. 3. Enhancement - This is in my opinion the worst position. You will have to add functionalities to existing code. You have to read some other person's code and make changes. I find this more difficult than development. 4. Support - Best position to enjoy life. You will be rarely touching code. your job would be to make lots of corrections mostly on the database side. Maybe delete a wrong entry in the database. You can go home in time. All the good looking IT girls can be found in such projects, good looking girls+ free time = enjoy life. Unfortunately it does not look good on your resume and its very difficult to get into development from support. 5. Testing - The testers in my project play cricket with a smiley ball every evening inside the office. Nothing more needs to be said. They have lots of free time and they never do their job well (yeah I am biased). Theres always a need for testers in all IT companies.

True Blue development projects are rare in the IT industry, I was one of those lucky few to have landed development projects where you actually start with a blank slate and have to write both code and documentation from scratch (ofcourse we also generously use ctrl+v). Thinking back it seems to me like the process of allotting project to first timers is arbitrary and you landing a development project depends purely on luck ! I would categorise IT jobs into the following categories 1. Programming R&D - You have to try out new technologies and frameworks. Give developers ideas on what technologies would suit a situation best. Its the best job for a technically oriented person but there are very few positions available and again the allotment will be arbitrary (you need to have connections) at least in my company. You need to have a decent no of years of experience (at least 4), but you must also be young ! 2. Development - You develop code from scratch. Its nothing like your collage lab exam scenario. A big chunk of your time will be taken up by having to read books and goggling because most of the time you wont fully understand what you are trying to code ! especially if you start out on a dev project. 3. Enhancement - This is in my opinion the worst position. You will have to add functionalities to existing code. You have to read some other person's code and make changes. I find this more difficult than development. 4. Support - Best position to enjoy life. You will be rarely touching code. your job would be to make lots of corrections mostly on the database side. Maybe delete a wrong entry in the database. You can go home in time. All the good looking IT girls can be found in such projects, good looking girls+ free time = enjoy life. Unfortunately it does not look good on your resume and its very difficult to get into development from support. 5. Testing - The testers in my project play cricket with a smiley ball every evening inside the office. Nothing more needs to be said. They have lots of free time and they never do their job well (yeah I am biased). Theres always a need for testers in all IT companies.

Amen.

I got the 6 position.

Functional consulting. Again very difficult position to get and has no coding. Higher business orientation.

Point being you cant predict where you will end up.

Hi Guys,
Need your suggestion here. I have done BTech (Mech) and MBA (Marketing) after that I am working in SAP SD module as Functional consultant on a support project for a US client with a Indian IT Company. I will be completing the 2 years in coming June. I have not done the certification, but we had initial training with organization for SD module.
Now I am kind of bored and frustrated with same project and appraisal policies :( . Can you advise me on how i can plan my career further?
Please put your valuable suggestions.
Thanks

Hi Guys,
Need your suggestion here. I have done BTech (Mech) and MBA (Marketing) after that I am working in SAP SD module as Functional consultant on a support project for a US client with a Indian IT Company. I will be completing the 2 years in coming June. I have not done the certification, but we had initial training with organization for SD module.
Now I am kind of bored and frustrated with same project and appraisal policies :( . Can you advise me on how i can plan my career further?
Please put your valuable suggestions.
Thanks

suggestion from anyone??

Are you ok working technical ? Try looking into BI projects and companies that focus on BI, you might find better scope there

Back