What happend to BOTH hdd, pls. help

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Sir/Friends,

I have 2 system.

Both have windows10 and found very slow and few other issues. (driver etc.)

Thus decided to install windows7, as both system previously run very good with Win7.

Now here I did silly mistake (with both system), just take back up of data and simply run Windows 7 bootable dvd.

And when found that. even after couple of hrs. waiting, installation not done, I realize the mistake of not formatting HDD before start installation, and with great frustration switch of both system.

Now both system didn't detect HDD in BIOS (did cmos reset, bios jumper reset, inter exchange all cables).

But unable to detect both HDD.

Ask friend for his desktop to check my HDD with his system and found that Keeping his HDD in system and attaching my both HDD one by one (as second hdd) with HIS system, and his system too fail to detect ANY HDD (yes unable to detect it's own hdd too).

I removed my HDD from his system and his system start working normally.

Any help friend? is my BOTH Seagate DVDs failed/died?

Please suggest....

Last edited:
Get bootable Linux media and boot it (follow next two links)

Link to linux distro: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Tool to create Linux pen drive: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.8.3.exe

Format your HDDs from it and it should be okay. All this mess is mostly because of direct installation of Win 10 on Win 7 - this must have caused boot partition to get corrupted.

Please guide me how to do this Boot From Linux, as I never used linux.. pls

Please guide me how to do this Boot From Linux, as I never used linux.. pls

After creating bootable pen drive from above links,
- Plug it to your PC
- Start your PC
- Go to BIOS
- Select boot device as Pen Drive
- This would boot Linux/Ubuntu
- When boots, select option to run instance once

- Plug it to your PC
- Start your PC
- Go to BIOS

Hi, do you mean to create bootable pendrive using information available with second link from above two, right?

Along with bootable pendrive do I need Linux Bootable ISO DVD too?

Last edited:
that error is because windows 7 does not recognize sata 3/6 4k formatted type hdd i'm guessing. These 4k formatted drives will probably show up as a 4GB drive only in such OS.
Instead of installing outdated windows 7, install LTSB version of windows 10 if you want to stick with windows.

that error is because windows 7 does not recognize sata 3/6 4k formatted type hdd i'm guessing. These 4k formatted drives will probably show up as a 4GB drive only in such OS.
Instead of installing outdated windows 7, install LTSB version of windows 10 if you want to stick with windows.
Thanks, but first I requires to make my hdd working..... never use how to do it with ubuntu...[DOUBLEPOST=1533460284][/DOUBLEPOST]
- Plug it to your PC
- Start your PC
- Go to BIOS
Hi.

The file get download is- name
ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso, but my system is Intel.... so am I downloaded correct file?

Last edited:
Yes,AMD64 is because it is AMD which created the 64bit instructions & has the copyright(that is why even if windows is installed on intel system the C drive will still have some files names amd64).

Hi ,

After booting via pendive, I got following screen, what to do now:

[DOUBLEPOST=1533461183][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes,AMD64 is because it is AMD which created the 64bit instructions & has the copyright(that is why even if windows is installed on intel system the C drive will still have some files names amd64).

[DOUBLEPOST=1533464644][/DOUBLEPOST]sorry, no help ?

Gparted showing ONLY pedrive as storage device.. nothing else? what to do now?[DOUBLEPOST=1533468383][/DOUBLEPOST]I really didn't understand the process, how to revive my hdd ?

From below FIRST image 2 choice which one to select (1st one or 2nd acpi=
off)

Last edited:
That error is an Ubuntu installation bug. It has nothing to do with your system. I know its frustrating to see errors when you're in such a situation.

Download the Ubuntu 16.04.05 desktop (64bit) version from here and try again

Or if that does not work, you can download the Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE version from here

Oh, forgot to add. Use rufus to write the iso file to pendrive. You just need a 4GB pendrive. Dont use cd writing software to write the image to pendrive.

After writing iso to usb, use the EFI version to go into live mode.

That error is an Ubuntu installation bug. It has nothing to do with your system. I know its frustrating to see errors when you're in such a situation.

Download the Ubuntu 16.04.05 desktop (64bit) version from here and try again

Or if that does not work, you can download the Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE version from here

Hi,

Ubuntu which version?

I'm unable to guess how installing ubuntu will solve my issue? as Ubuntu too detect Pendrive only?

Thanks for help/reply

Hi,

Ubuntu which version?

I'm unable to guess how installing ubuntu will solve my issue? as Ubuntu too detect Pendrive only?

Thanks for help/reply

That installation you have is corrupt. You don't need to install Ubuntu. Ubuntu will boot into ram from usb pendrive and you can install tools like Testdisk in Ubuntu to rescue the hdd from there.

Can you hear the hdd spinning? Are the hdd's warm to touch and can you feel vibrations? If yes we will do trouble shooting later when you have a working live environment.

That installation you have is corrupt. You don't need to install Ubuntu. Ubuntu will boot into ram from usb pendrive and you can install tools like Testdisk in Ubuntu to rescue the hdd from there.

Can you hear the hdd spinning? Are the hdd's warm to touch and can you feel vibrations? If yes we will do trouble shooting later when you have a working live environment.

No, I didn't found harddisk warmer, as I'm running system since today morning.

About vibration, very little feel, but, not sure of system fans or hdd[DOUBLEPOST=1533475198][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi ,

Rufus to crate bootable pendrive from link suggested by vyral right?

Last edited:

Sorry, but how to install Testdisk, as unable access hdd?

I'm replying here from friends laptop

After successfully running Ubuntu/any other live Linux cd/usb you still fail to see hdd then most likely hdd is dead(assuming sata port,sata cable & power cable are working).

Back