What happens if auction is won but before payment seller delivers

tech.addict

Skilled
I won an auction on ebay.com. I was having some problem with my Paypal account so I specifically told the seller not to ship the item and relist it.
The seller is a new one and without reading my messages he shipped the item and the item is delivered to my US P.O box address.
The seller has requested to send back the item but I can't as it is a P.O box address.
I already told the seller to send an invoice through Paypal and I'll pay him with the help of my friend outside ebay. He will confirm payment received in ebay.
But I was curious what happens if I don't pay for the item ;). I know my account will be suspended but anything other?

This is just out of curiosity - I assure you guys that I'll pay for the item :).

If you are not sending payment via eBay then send 10% less as that is what the seller would have got if you would have paid via eBay. Also please make the payment after you have received the phone in your hands.

If you are not sending payment via eBay then send 10% less as that is what the seller would have got if you would have paid via eBay. Also please make the payment after you have received the phone in your hands.
Thanks. I'll make the payment only after I receive the phone.[DOUBLEPOST=1424950530][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a seller mistake, there are hardly any chances for your account to be suspended
Maybe it's a mistake but making the payment for the item that I won is my responsibility and more than 2-3 cases of auction won but payment not made is going to affect your account.[DOUBLEPOST=1424950664][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would suggest you to be fair in this deal.
I'll pay him the amount for which I won the bid because he will also lose some money if I pay through Paypal as goods.

If you would have paid him via eBay he would have lost 10% to eBay and then 3% to PayPal. Just cancel the transaction on eBay and eBay won't charge him the fees and you'll save 10%. He can also open an unpaid item case and eBay won't charge him the fees.

but if he opens the claim on ebay and i pay him outside ebay means to ebay i've not paid for the item which he has shipped and according to tracking is delivered. does that have any adverse effect on my account?

Legally, he can't do much. He can give you a negative rating for not paying up after winning an auction.

I had a situation where I won an auction and was not able to pay. However, I offered to compensate the seller for his listing fees. First he threatened to give me a negative rating but changed his mind for some reason (he didn't rate the transaction).

EDIT:
Here is a thread on ebay sellers forum on the same topic

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Accidentally-Shipped-Item-Before-Receiving-Payment/td-p/2811339

The response from ebay's representative:

"So sorry to hear. I know the excitement of your first sale and first shipment. Our sellers have great thoughts here. I would use eBay messages to let the buyer know that it was an honest mistake and ask them to pay. If not, your next step is to open an unpaid item case (http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com). Once open, eBay lets the buyer know that they have four days to pay or else the case will close in your favor.

While closing in your favor won't refund the amount of the items, it will refund any final value fees and prevent the buyer from leaving feedback."

Last edited:
Back