Other What i learned when my mobile fell and the screen broke

I was a big believer of gorilla glass and for one and half year it survived many falls. But last month it had a terrible fall and the screen got shattered . Then i realized that i have not saved my photos ,my sms and some other docs offline or online . I connected it to my pc and it detected it but could int go to the drive as it was on USB charging mode. Earlier versions of android used to default to usb drive mode but marshmallow defaults to charging mode since screen is shattered and blank i couldn't change the drive setting to file transfer mode . Then all problems surged i had work related sms and pics to be sent and there was no back up . I was in soup there was no service center in my town ,my friend who replaced the screen of his opo told it will be 8k for a original one.I had to travel 50km to get it replaced . Sso here are the things i learned the hard way
1. Backup
Backup is the most important thing .Always backup your important sms, pic and documents online or offline , use google photos or some other service to save images . Backup sms on your google drive with apps like "sms backup and restore ". Use evernote or google keep to backup your notes.
2. Always put a tempered glass
Although it not a 100% insurance against screen breakage it will save your phone most of the time .Like a helmet while riding the a bike it may not look cool but it it will save the important stuff.

3.Keep your data sensitive apps locked
Only when i had to send phone to service center i thought about the sensitivity of data. Can they scan my gmail and get my bank details , can some one post derogatory stuff using my Facebook or whats app account ( one person in gulf was in trouble as his room mate posted some religious defaming stuff using his phone ). So lock all your important apps with some good locker apps preferably with encryption .

4. keep usb debugging on
you may be able to extract data from a broken screen with pc if the usb debugging is on
5. If only the touch panel is broken and LCD is ok you can connect a mouse as a pointer

Last edited:
Can they scan my gmail and get my bank details , can some one post derogatory stuff using my Facebook or whats app account ( one person in gulf was in trouble as his room mate posted some religious defaming stuff using his phone ).

To be safe all sessions can(should!) be killed from a different device/browser.

Only when i had to send phone to service center i thought about the sensitivity of data. Can they scan my gmail and get my bank details , can some one post derogatory stuff using my Facebook or whats app account ( one person in gulf was in trouble as his room mate posted some religious defaming stuff using his phone ). So lock all your important apps with some good locker apps preferably with encryption .
r

You can wipe your phone from a computer using android device manager before sending it to a repair shop

Enable Google Photos Backup for all photos and videos.

Enable Google Drive backup for WhatsApp.

Download SMS Backup+ for backing up call logs, SMS and calender integration.

I am ashamed that I don't follow this religiously but I have a recurring task setup in my phone to backup my and my wife's phone in PC every month, just in case.

I was a big believer of gorilla glass and for one and half year it survived many falls. But last month it had a terrible fall and the screen got shattered . Then i realized that i have not saved my photos ,my sms and some other docs offline or online . I connected it to my pc and it detected it but could int go to the drive as it was on USB charging mode. Earlier versions of android used to default to usb drive mode but marshmallow defaults to charging mode since screen is shattered and blank i couldn't change the drive setting to file transfer mode . Then all problems surged i had work related sms and pics to be sent and there was no back up . I was in soup there was no service center in my town ,my friend who replaced the screen of his opo told it will be 8k for a original one.I had to travel 50km to get it replaced . Sso here are the things i learned the hard way
1. Backup
Backup is the most important thing .Always backup your important sms, pic and documents online or offline , use google photos or some other service to save images . Backup sms on your google drive with apps like "sms backup and restore ". Use evernote or google keep to backup your notes.
2. Always put a tempered glass
Although it not a 100% insurance against screen breakage it will save your phone most of the time .Like a helmet while riding the a bike it may not look cool but it it will save the important stuff.

4. keep usb debugging on
you may be able to extract data from a broken screen with pc if the usb debugging is on
5. If only the touch panel is broken and LCD is ok you can connect a mouse as a pointer

Did you try this before replacing your screen?
http://www.xda-developers.com/contr...n-screen-from-the-comfort-of-your-windows-pc/

how does a tempered glass protect screen ? since it is fully hard all force is transferred to screen only. only protects from scratches
"You have to understand the physics of it. When your drop something it has kinetic energy. As it falls it collects more and more until it reaches terminal velocity. When it impacts, the part that impacts obsorbs the energy until it reaches a breaking point and then shatters. So if you put a tempered glass cover on your phone and the amount of energy that is imparted from the fall is less than the energy that it takes to break, it won't shatter. If it does shatter and the amount of energy remaining is less than the amount it takes to shatter the screen, your cover will shatter but not your screen. So there are a lot of variables there."
From Quora

From my experience, having Corning Gorilla glass should be a high priority while choosing a mobile. Also, if you have got 2-3 year old kids, then good case is a must. I'm using Moto G2 since 1.5 years and it has survived so many falls and throws by my kid. I've Heartly Dual Armor case, which although makes phone bulky, its worth having.

Then enable sync of all the data to your Google account, which includes contacts, photos, etc.

In simpler terms, I make sure I'm prepared for a phone lost/breakage today and get back to normal life using a new mobile tomorrow without any loss of data or new settings.

Back