Camera What is the average life of a digital camera?

PoBoy

Skilled
As the title says.
Most computer mobos fail after a few years due to the capacitors etc.
Will a camera like the Sony RX-100 II last at least 10 years?
Thinking of going in for one, don't want to find it dead after a few years. It's not exactly cheap.

For decades, people used to swear by the quality of Sony products. I don't know if they still maintain the same quality and exquisite details.

My Sony digital camera and handycam are still working the same after 11 years of purchase. Handycam's battery has ofcourse degraded but it surpassed all other premium batteries in performance and life. Battery was made by Sony as well.

You want a camera to last that long - you need something like a mirrorless unit/ something without many moving parts.

BTW, I have a Canon Powershot S45 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons45 bought in Tokyo mid 2003, and it still works perfectly fine. Batteries however do not last so long, and this is on the 3rd replacement battery.

Most computer mobos fail after a few years due to the capacitors etc.
Which is easily fixed until something more expensive goes.

Will a camera like the Sony RX-100 II last at least 10 years?
Thinking of going in for one, don't want to find it dead after a few years. It's not exactly cheap.
Think of it in terms of duty cycles. How many photos is that sensor built for.

Everything is built to withstand only so many cycles. Trouble is those numbers are secret.

With pro end cameras the figure is upto 100k photos and you need to replace the body. I learnt of this figure when i read an article of this guy taking photos of smoke. Requires hundreds if not thousands of exposures to get the right look. As in that's how many it takes to get one right shot. Then repeat the process again for the next 'correct' shot. Insane.

His 5d mark was conking out around the 70k photos mark.

the rx-100 will be less. 10k photos ? some more ?

So its not the number of years but the number of photos which once past means it has to be replaced.

Last edited:
@blr_p So what exactly happens after the mark is reached? Does the camera powers up and refuses to take any photos? Something on the lines that sensor dies out and that is the end of the story.

@blr_p So what exactly happens after the mark is reached? Does the camera powers up and refuses to take any photos? Something on the lines that sensor dies out and that is the end of the story.
http://petapixel.com/2014/09/02/incredible-images-smoke-took-3-months-100000-photos-capture/

says it died.

He selected just 20 out of 100,000 :eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1460238624][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just out of curiosity, i must ask if anyone has ever noticed that when their heavy-duty electronic components;such as motherboards, PSU's; start degrading they then start consuming (exponentially) more electricity with time before they conk out.
No idea, only notice when it stops working.

But i do wonder about what you said on a more general level.

Is heating a sign of imminent component failure ?

Last edited:
No idea, only notice when it stops working.

But i do wonder about what you said on a more general level.

Is heating a sign of imminent component failure ?

My previous post was OT...i'm not sure about digital cameras and overheating...

My 5 year old LGA 775 cpu + mobo config consumed x5 times the electricity in comparison to the newer LGA 1151 cpu + mobo config...

Which is easily fixed until something more expensive goes.

Replacing caps may be easy, but replacing with similar quality caps is not. If a cap on medium to high end board goes bad, you might as well consider it EOL for the board. The fresh lease of life that you gave it can last 1 day, 1 week or maybe 6 months, but its going to go bad again soon.

Everything is built to withstand only so many cycles. Trouble is those numbers are secret.

More like designed to last this many cycles only. Planned obsolesce in play. They don't want you to have something that you never need to replace.

Replacing caps may be easy, but replacing with similar quality caps is not. If a cap on medium to high end board goes bad, you might as well consider it EOL for the board. The fresh lease of life that you gave it can last 1 day, 1 week or maybe 6 months, but its going to go bad again soon.
If good quality caps were used would it still be 1 day - 6 months ?

My experience with a low end mobo has been good. The thing is over ten years old now. Had caps replaced twice. Went a good two years before requiring a service again. To the tune of Rs.300.

have seen reports of people doing the same with appliances as well. Those are not high performance boards. If anything they are cheap, its the rest of the hardware that tends to be more pricey.

More like designed to last this many cycles only. Planned obsolesce in play. They don't want you to have something that you never need to replace.
I don't buy into planned obsolesence unless its blatant. Refusing to service a product two years from launch for example ie no parts basically get lost we're not servicing this thing for you go buy another. Why ? because there is no money left over for service since we cost cut this thing to the max.

Here they are building to a price point and those price points are expected to be inflation proof which is impossible.

Rs.10k buys your more today than it will 5 years from now. If at that point you still expect to pay the same price something has to give. Service.

Last edited:
Won't in like 5 years the technological advance make the camera obsolete? How many generations are we talking about in terms of technology?

Won't in like 5 years the technological advance make the camera obsolete? How many generations are we talking about in terms of technology?

Sensor advancement will reach some saturation at some point.Mobile Phone camera sensors just like dedicated camera sensors will also advance.But camera with bigger sensors and better lenses will always have the edge.
When 4k tvs and display resolution become the norm or when 8k displays start to appear,you will need about 8mp images just to see 1:1 pixel crop in a 4k display and double that with 8k displays.
So they need to have more megapixels if you need to crop a image.[DOUBLEPOST=1460621045][/DOUBLEPOST]I replaced the caps in my viewsonic lcd monitor some 5 years back with some indian caps costed some 5bucks.They still run great.
They initially had some chinese caps which had bulged and started to leak.
Its very hard to find quality caps with low ESR,used in high end motherboards and tvs etc in india.

Last edited:
I replaced the caps in my viewsonic lcd monitor some 5 years back with some indian caps costed some 5bucks.They still run great.
They initially had some chinese caps which had bulged and started to leak.
There you go.

Its very hard to find quality caps with low ESR,used in high end motherboards and tvs etc in india.
can't order from abroad or do they want you to buy in 100s.

Sensor advancement will reach some saturation at some point.Mobile Phone camera sensors just like dedicated camera sensors will also advance.But camera with bigger sensors and better lenses will always have the edge.
What about these guys ?

https://light.co/camera

Last edited:
I had caps blown on only one motherboard, an Intel branded 945P series board. Got them replaced and they blew again in 3 months. Replaced again and they blew in 2 months. This time, it somehow managed to damage a HDD containing 40 GB data. If a motherboard component blows, I would rather spend money on a new board than take my chances with repairs that may or may not last and also risk something else in the process.

Similar experiences with blown caps for a few other people that I am acquainted with. Its mostly a matter of luck.

Back