Android What is the (real world) implication of not having a magnetometer in a mobile ?

PoBoy

Skilled
Motorola has not included a magnetometer in the Moto G9, AFAIK.
Also in the Fusion+.

What would a user lose by not having a magnetometer. e.g.would Google maps not indicate which direction the user is facing?
That's something I find useful when I travel to a new place.

EDIT : Please read posts later on.
Esp : https://techenclave.com/community/t...-magnetometer-in-a-mobile.193514/post-2215916
Looks like some mid range phones do have a magnetometer/magnetic induction sensor .

Last edited:
It's very annoying. I faced it with the moto e and swore never to buy one without it again.

Maps won't show the direction you're facing. Once you start moving it will show the direction you're going based on your gps location. And then you may realise you're going the exact opposite of the directions!

Don't know why these companies skimp out on such basic stuff. samsung used to let do with just gyroscope and accelorometer and google maps navigation used to be terrible. then thankfully xiaomi entered the scene and made it common. they must be saving pennies on each phone by omitting magnetometer. still they go ahead and do it

Nokia 5.3 too :
Nokia 5.3
Sensors Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer (G-sensor), Fingerprint sensor

EDIT:
I assumed most phones Rs 10,000+ would have a magnetometer. Wrong. Even Realme 6i, 6, 6 Pro don't have one.
Neither do Redmi Note9, Note9Pro.

EDIT:
Poco M2 Pro and X2 have a 'Electronic compass'.

EDIT 2 :
Some of the Redmi Note 9 and Redmi 9 models do have a "E-compass"

EDIT : Please read posts later on.
Esp : https://techenclave.com/community/t...-magnetometer-in-a-mobile.193514/post-2215916
Looks like some mid range phones do have a magnetometer/magnetic induction sensor .

Last edited:
It is not just maps, but many other apps that I use like satellite tracker, star gazer etc which requires one to be stationary and orient the phone in particular direction based on N,S,E,W - that won't be functional if there is no magnetometer.

Nokia 5.3 too :
Nokia 5.3

EDIT:
I assumed most phones Rs 10,000+ would have a magnetometer. Wrong. Even Realme 6i, 6, 6 Pro don't have one.
Neither do Redmi Note9, Note9Pro.

EDIT:
Poco M2 Pro and X2 have a 'Electronic compass'.
E compass is better since it uses both magnetometer and accelorometer

Holy crap. Thank god I found this thread. I thought it was the Motorola phones only lacking a compass, wow, thanks for the clarification that others in the same price category also do not have a compass, like the nokia 5.3. I am officially done searching for cheap phones now. No compass, no go. Bloody cartoony samsung is what I need to opt for now, disgusting.

realme 7 pro : Rs 20,000+
No magnetometer.
Magnetic Induction Sensor / Light Sensor / Proximity Sensor / Gyro-meter / Acceleration Sensor

ditto realme 7.

realme 7 pro : Rs 20,000+
No magnetometer.

ditto realme 7.
Have you considered that they are just using different terminology?
All websites including GSM Arena have listed both these phones as having a compass.
The Realme website lists both as having a Magnetic Induction sensor which is basically what a magnetometer also uses to do it's calculations.
I personally think they are just using different terminology and all these phones do have the ability to be used as a compass. Please enlighten me if I am completely wrong and the 'Magnetic Induction Sensor' they mention is used for something else in the phone.

Have you considered that they are just using different terminology?
All websites including GSM Arena have listed both these phones as having a compass.
The Realme website lists both as having a Magnetic Induction sensor which is basically what a magnetometer also uses to do it's calculations.
I personally think they are just using different terminology and all these phones do have the ability to be used as a compass. Please enlighten me if I am completely wrong and the 'Magnetic Induction Sensor' they mention is used for something else in the phone.

You could be right.
If one of the forum members who have one of the phones I listed confirms that, it would solve this prob/question.
(Just use Google Maps or install a compass app.)
Post automatically merged:

From the XDA forum :
A magnetic induction sensor is a magnetometer of a sort, but, a bit more specific. A magnetic induction sensor is a magnetometer but a magnetometer is not necessarily a magnetic induction sensor.

Last edited:
This is what I thought as well from what I could find on the internet. So compass will work on all Realme phones as I see even their 9k offerings have this sensor. Similarly e-compass offerings in other phones is superior to just a magnetometer. Like you, I don't understand why companies have to complicate these things, but I guess the marketing strategies are such these days.

@PoBoy - I think you should add this to your main post and edit the other posts in the thread where you specifically mention some phones.

Yeah compass exists on them redmeme phones but not on Motorola phones, and the nokia 5.3 as well. What's the option for us who don't use china phones and uses stock Android only? Anything?

By the way, i tweeted at Motorola India asking why they are being a retard by not providing compass for Indian variants of their phones and Twitter locked my account citing hateful speech. Lmfao.

Back