What is wrong with banks asking to make passwords i cant remember

And when you open the target site, click on lastpass icon in browser (if on desktop) and click autofill, works like a charm.
I'm already aware about that but it no longer works for Sbi, yes and hdfc and few more.
LP doesn't fill Sbi fields at all.
For Yes bank it will ask for LP master password and yet fails.
Hdfc, it will simply fill-up all the fields yes hdfc itself will reject login using those populated fields as they sense it is coming from some password manager.
Same goes for irctc too now a days.
All these sites have curbed the use of lastpass or other managers.

Two part authentication and single password makes sense. I've never been asked to change my password by any banks till date but I have this problem with my office login. I just note it on a post it and leave it in my desk.

Its a trap you see...

banks want you to stop using online banking and revert to over the counter stuff. This way, they can sell you life insurance, health insurance, car insurance and many other insurance stuff. Then, they will try to get you to take their credit card then lockers then forex.... the list goes on and on.

The best way to stop this is to install blinders in your face when you go to the bank.

/s

I consider the necessity to use password vaults like LastPass to be a failure in its own rights. No properly built system stores the actual password ever, even in encrypted form. They only store a cryptographic hash of some sort which is a one way transform and cannot be reversed. Typically, some salt is added so that even for the same password, the final hashes are different. Using a password vault means that we are storing the actual passwords on some server in an encrypted form from which it can be reversed.

I remember some password manager tool in the era of win xp. It used to sit in system tray without requiring internet at all. It doesn't even required any browser addon or plugin to function.
Used to use it for testing multiple localhost eclipse/lamp websites for project purposes.
Surprisingly I tried to save my yahoo msn gmail digit and sbi ids and they worked really well without any security threat as the tool sits on my local machine and encrypted. Also, since then I was using Netlimiter as internet plans came with ltd bandwidth then and were very dear and pricy so used to customize firewall rules in NL and only allowed FF, IE & IDM to access the net.

Sadly cant recall its name as it was soon replaced by LastPass. Old memories blossomed during this thread. Will try to hunt it down!

It works for SBI for sure.
I'm already aware about that but it no longer works for Sbi, yes and hdfc and few more.
LP doesn't fill Sbi fields at all.
Save SBI manually if its not working automatically and edit that site, click on Autofill option (this has to be done manually).
Now everytime you open the required sbi login page, it will fill in required details.
I did same for my one of my employer on his laptop.

It works for SBI for sure.

Save SBI manually if its not working automatically and edit that site, click on Autofill option (this has to be done manually).
Now everytime you open the required sbi login page, it will fill in required details.
I did same for my one of my employer on his laptop.
Yes that jugaad used to work but ever lastpass got updated it no-more works that way or any other way.

Back