Audio What is your primary music listening headphone / earphone?

ok, you asked about cheap pair of wireless IEM's a week ago for your cook.

Now, compare what Rs.2.5k gets you compared with Rs.13k which is what the jabra cost a year back

Maybe the Jabra's are not good enough on their own compared to ?airpods but they blow these ant audio wave sports right out of the water.

No comparison whatsoever.
Post automatically merged:

The thing with the airpods is they are a winner for taking calls but the problem is reversed in a noisy environment. Caller hears you but you struggle to hear them.

People in the comments calling the airpods better than the Jabra for call quality.

The difference is slight in the review but no complaints kinda seals the deal

When the airpods come out there were these calls of indignation about how expensive they were.

That is until Bragis launched. Then airpods appeared very affordable :)

All of this is rubbing up against a sober reality.

You can get decent call quality and competitive at that, for no extra cost.

What do i mean.

I mean the wired, free headset that comes with the phone.

Hold that mic up and it will compete with any wireless offering there is. Possibly even beat it.

I eventually ended up buying something called PTron for him - 1.5K
The audio quality is acceptable - kind of like the Philips headsets from yesteryears that used to come with walkmans
Never really tried the mic

As for a truely objective comparison - it would be hard to get anything even closely resembling objective..
What I do know however is this - I take multiple calls daily on the airpods - including calls with my wife who is particularly vocal if my voice is garbled/faded etc :p

I have not heard any complaints from her whatsoever on the Airpods although she has called me out each time I have tried using the phone speakerphone/ erstwhile Jabra / SS :)
So I guess that's my objective test result :)

At home Fiio K5 pro + TinAudio T2, not even the ATH M40X! Itching to get their P1 Planars, ordered BLON 03 yesterday :)
With phone Mi Rs. 699 earphones :)

Last edited:
Anker Sound Core Liberty -
Like it as it came cheap and is really good for the price
On the flip side, The mids are weak.. call quality is poor
Gets uncomfortable within 30 minutes or so although I think it‘s an isolated issue with me more than anything else

Those ?

What stands out with them is the isolation and the wireless range.

Because they isolate so well they could be uncomfortable. So what are the options for tips.

Comply makes tips for them but you won't get them back in the case to charge as the tips will protrude.

So people have resorted to modding other tips

anker liberty air.JPG

What gets me is how short the stem is ? it looks half the length of the stem on my senns and i can sleep on my side with those on.

A longer stem instead of tapering would have allowed normal size foam tips and you'd have had the best of both worlds.

Getting it back into the charging case would still be a problem though.

I don't think i'll be trying these out any time soon.

Those ?

What stands out with them is the isolation and the wireless range.

Because they isolate so well they could be uncomfortable. So what are the options for tips.

Comply makes tips for them but you won't get them back in the case to charge as the tips will protrude.

So people have resorted to modding other tips

View attachment 83360

What gets me is how short the stem is ? it looks half the length of the stem on my senns and i can sleep on my side with those on.

A longer stem instead of tapering would have allowed normal size foam tips and you'd have had the best of both worlds.

Getting it back into the charging case would still be a problem though.

I don't think i'll be trying these out any time soon.

This one actually

i am not sure if it’s my hypersensitivity to IEMs though that’s the cause for my dislike though

This one actually

i am not sure if it’s my hypersensitivity to IEMs though that’s the cause for my dislike though
Not on their site any more. Is it time already for the next marginally improved installment. heh

Going for $50 currently

This was the guy who showed how clear the airpods & Bose QC35 II are for sound. Sony has the audio quality and noise cancelling down pat but their mics can't compete.

That was the best of 2018, waiting for his 2019 vid.

He is also using wife test as one test. Seems wife test is the most reliable way to tell :D

Last edited:
I have multiple devices for desktop listening:

AKG K712 Pro
Audio Technica MSR7
Beyer Dynamic DT880 Premium 600 ohm
Sennheiser HD598

Two headphone amps/pre-amps
Darkvoice 336SE
Art Audio SCC-1

Two Sources:
SMSL M8 + PSU
CA Dacmagic

I prefer the Beyers and Audio Technica with the tube and the SMSL. The AKG with the ART audio and DACMagic.

The Sennheiser isn't in the same class and is primarily used for games. Don't care where I put it.

For mobile, it is a Shure SE425 + Ultrasone NaOS DAC/Amp.

I alternate between these budget setups :

1 : PC -> PCM2706 + ES9023 USB DAC -> Senfer DT6 IEM with TENNMAK wide bore tips.

2 : PC -> KZ Type-C DAC -> KZ ZSR IEM with the same wide bore tips.

EDIT : I use a Samsung GS3 as a DAP :)

Last edited:
@ Chaos, you have some big hitters in your audio arsenal, really impressive and wise investment. Other than the Shure IEM, had all of those cans. Fantastic sound, but somehow the old hd 25 always pulls me back.

@ Chaos, you have some big hitters in your audio arsenal, really impressive and wise investment. Other than the Shure IEM, had all of those cans. Fantastic sound, but somehow the old hd 25 always pulls me back.

Had the HD650 too. Fine headphone but just doesn't suit my taste. It sounded to dark to me and just didn't float my boat. Sold it for a song.

Recently bought PXC 550. My first ever decent headphones. And I am loving it already.

Still trying to figure out how to make best of it. Using it with laptop/OP3. But I am sure that's not the true experience.

Any advice is most welcome. Is it must to have dac/amp?

Had the HD650 too. Fine headphone but just doesn't suit my taste. It sounded to dark to me and just didn't float my boat. Sold it for a song.
Yep, that infamous Sennheiser veil. Thankfully my ears are too bad to hear it. I don't have 650, but 600. But their sound signatures are similar I guess.

Right, that's what I remember from a long headfi thread. But never had a chance to A/B them.
BTW, do you have any experience with Ultrasone headphones?

I have multiple devices for desktop listening:

AKG K712 Pro
Audio Technica MSR7
Beyer Dynamic DT880 Premium 600 ohm
Sennheiser HD598

Two headphone amps/pre-amps
Darkvoice 336SE
Art Audio SCC-1

Two Sources:
SMSL M8 + PSU
CA Dacmagic

I prefer the Beyers and Audio Technica with the tube and the SMSL. The AKG with the ART audio and DACMagic.

The Sennheiser isn't in the same class and is primarily used for games. Don't care where I put it.

For mobile, it is a Shure SE425 + Ultrasone NaOS DAC/Amp.
Hey,
Where did you buy the SMSL from?
Thx.

Hey,
Where did you buy the SMSL from?
Thx.
eBay - long long time ago. It was lost in transit. eBay refunded me the money. I got it six months later. Found that seller had shut shop by then and couldn't pay him back.
Post automatically merged:

Right, that's what I remember from a long headfi thread. But never had a chance to A/B them.
BTW, do you have any experience with Ultrasone headphones?
Nope never heard them

Recently bought PXC 550. My first ever decent headphones. And I am loving it already.

Still trying to figure out how to make best of it. Using it with laptop/OP3. But I am sure that's not the true experience.

Any advice is most welcome. Is it must to have dac/amp?
I use it with a cheap Samsung phone and it sounds fantastic (compared to Sony 100XM3, and Bose qc35), the NC is decent and mics for calls are bad, but the sound quality is really good, it is not unnatural like the Sony and not volume dependent like the qc35. I wasted a lot of money to find the best possible BTNC cans as my job involves a LOT of travel and the PXC550 is the best possible compromise between ANC and sound quality for my ears.
Are you having some weird glitchy noise with Windows 10 while using bluetooth? Mine works perfectly in wired mode with laptops, but completely ruins the experience with bluetooth ( Something to do with Windows, as it worked perfectly with Mac)

About WIN10 BT .. not noticed but I'll keep an eye. Although BT connection with OP3 has been far stable than laptop. I do remember mention of MS updates ( earlier this year ) affecting Bluetooth connectivity

Main Go to Headphones
Skullcandy Crusher Wireless
Sony MDR XB950N1

Before the audiophiles here get the pitchforks out - I did try a whole bunch of fancier stuff
1. JVC HA RX700 - died in 6 months
2. Taction Kannon - $500 dud. The bass is high quality, but too subtle. Also needs way too much EQ to get to decent levels
3. Superlux HD668 - Ow my ears! the treble is so *&(^( sharp
4. Sony MDR XB950AP - Now we are getting somewhere. the sound singnature was getting somewhere there. Reminded of my old favorite sony MDR XD200
5. SkullCandy Crusher wireless - $79 on black friday. The bass is a bit unreal, but both in good and bad ways, but i no longer have to carry an assortment of amp, eq, power supplies etc.
6. Sony MDR XB950N1 - $35 parts unit missing earpads (but otherwise functional). Slapped one of the pairs of extra pads i bought for the wired one, and I am in business. Much more organic bass

There are benefits to being in the US, and knowing how to fix your own stuff. Both the skullcandy and the Sony cost well north of $150 Retail!

IEM's -
Sony MDR XB50AP - equally monstrous bass.
mi Triple Driver - Backup buds. Deeper, slightly less bass, but again, sharp and fatiguing highs

Back