What Keyboard do you prefer for coding

sarang

Skilled
@mods: First up this is not by mistake in this section. I meant it to be in prorammers section so please save the rath for later :p

I was curious to know what keyboards do you guys use for development? I code quite a bit and hence type a lot too. So I end up killing keyboards a lot. Mostly the Ins-Home-Pg-Pgdn-Del-End cluster and the arrow keys. The incessent FPS addition kills the asdf-qwer-zxcv cluster and the keyboard though visually sound starts performing sub-par in less than a year.

I've no problem replaing keyboards, the trouble is finding the right one every-time and gettting accustomed to it.

When working at an old slab in my office I happened to stumble upon an original IBM-102 keyboard I had used during my college days (It was a PC-AT connector). I typed a bit out of curiosity and wow! That was the keyboard experience I was missing. The keys responded so beautifuly. Mind you this must have been at leat a 12 year old keyboard. It turns out that this is a mechanical keyboard. So was wondering if we get any decent mechanical ones here in India. The only model I know of is the uber noisy TVS-e gold.

Lets talk

there is nothing else to look for other than TVS Gold. for that price its THE choice for any use.

next one up the line razer blackwidow is significantly costly, has a bit less key pressure than the TVS gold... anyway blackwidow is not recommended as its costly, unless you specifically want a mechanical keyboard with media and macro keys ;).

the next one is steelseries 6gv2 which according to reviews 'is built like a tank' has the cherry black keys which does not have the click noise like the cherry blue keys in tvs gold and blackwidow. but the keys also have slightly more pressure than the cherry blue keys and is great for gaming but many don't prefer them for typing tasks. also it retails for around 7k

anything else like filco's etc should be imported. unless you are hell bent in getting them it's better to choose one among the available options.

_

DigitalDude said:
there is nothing else to look for other than TVS Gold. for that price its THE choice for any use.

next one up the line razer blackwidow is significantly costly, has a bit less key pressure than the TVS gold... anyway blackwidow is not recommended as its costly, unless you specifically want a mechanical keyboard with media and macro keys ;).

the next one is steelseries 6gv2 which according to reviews 'is built like a tank' has the cherry black keys which does not have the click noise like the cherry blue keys in tvs gold and blackwidow. but the keys also have slightly more pressure than the cherry blue keys and is great for gaming but many don't prefer them for typing tasks. also it retails for around 7k

anything else like filco's etc should be imported. unless you are hell bent in getting them it's better to choose one among the available options.
_
Don't want any media/macro heck i once even ripped apart the "Power/Sleep" keys from my KB since they interefered with the insert-home-pgup-dn cluster. Not looking for any bling bling either.

@m-jeri: Could you tell me which? I once had a couple of Dell OEMs which were pretty decent. The newer ones $uck though.

@dinjo: To each one his own, to me a keyboard is like a sword to the ninja, an instrument to a musician can't stress enough!

The current one is Model SK 8115. A02.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8008/dellkeyboardtw2.jpg

The other ones used are one with a round vertical volume knob MM keyboard one.

http://www.bohemianalps.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/xps-keyboard.jpg

And one with a horizontal volume... but the keys are more like laptop one... but very good tactile feel... it was new though

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/dell-keyboard-mouse-1.jpg

And the keys are bit wobbly in the first one i said(the one i am using now.)

My pick is the second one.

vishalrao said:
Yea, I miss the old mechanical clickety-click TVS keyboard I had years ago with its slightly concave shape :)
Turns out the new silent keyboards are "standard" for offices to avoid the roar of people tapping away - even mandated in some software firms.
I guess a nice Razer keyboard should do? Or something off google - first link: Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Sire, ze problem iz ze availability!
Do know some place in Pune to get the Das Keyboard :p? Its looks like the thing to have.

PS: @all of us - Read this Coding Horror: The Keyboard Cult as well.

vishalrao said:
Calling all TE dealers for deals on mech KBs... :)
Second that sire!

@m-jeri: Have used the second and third. Not much to sing about (Personal opinion as keyboard experience could be subjective)

Friend I have heard that USB port of keyboard requires more CPu Overhead so, Can you please tll me that does The daskeyboard have Ps2 plug,and also does the Brown Vs Blue cherry switches have different lifetime . As I ma knew to mechanical first heard now ,very educational in a computer sense, heard earlier(6 years ago) that TVS non multimedia keyboards are very good keyboards. I also want to get one no mater sound but better quality and lifespan,please suggest one Das,TVs,Steelseries etc.

I don't code but I am a touch typist and found a spare TVS mechanical keyboard in office, so snagged that (I'm the sys admin, so it helps in tasks like snagging :p). Absolute treat! :)

For those wanting to try a cheaper alternative to TVS Gold, the TVS Champ is also not a bad option either. I accidentally stumbled upon it (wasn't even aware that it existed) and have been really enjoying using it, great bang for the buck stuff. I got it from here, though they show it in white I got it in black and I strongly recommend it especially at this price point.

p.s. It is showing out of stock at the above linked site now, but it is also available at ebay but slightly more expensive.

I have IBM keyboard in my office and I absolutely love it...I have used Dell ones but they don't suite my taste...and Logitech ones are really bad...

Shanpav12 said:
Friend I have heard that USB port of keyboard requires more CPu Overhead so, Can you please tll me that does The daskeyboard have Ps2 plug,and also does the Brown Vs Blue cherry switches have different lifetime . As I ma knew to mechanical first heard now ,very educational in a computer sense, heard earlier(6 years ago) that TVS non multimedia keyboards are very good keyboards. I also want to get one no mater sound but better quality and lifespan,please suggest one Das,TVs,Steelseries etc.

The overhead is a no issue, the real trouble with USB is the 6Key rollover limitation. The das keyboards are all USB with a 2 port hub on each of them.

@Sei: Luck you :p

Samsung Pleomax is my choice. Only -ve - I have to change it every 6months or so. The usual problem is keys like 'Enter' will go kaput in around 6months for me.

One more problem for others might be the power and sleep buttons. But its quite low and fits my need.

I have been very lazy in searching out for better ones. My local hardware shop have always carried these. So lot easier for me to replace.

random2 said:
Samsung Pleomax is my choice. Only -ve - I have to change it every 6months or so. The usual problem is keys like 'Enter' will go kaput in around 6months for me.

One more problem for others might be the power and sleep buttons. But its quite low and fits my need.

I have been very lazy in searching out for better ones. My local hardware shop have always carried these. So lot easier for me to replace.
Yeah I still remember the older pleomax (circa 2001) had a fabulous n-key rollover. Some crazy nights with MK4 proved its worth. All the complex key combos for both the players went through without a hitch. Now for those who haven't played MK4 it has 3-6 key combos that you need to perform and two folks played at each side if the keybaord, go figure. The newer ones somehow do not have the same class. :(

The best keyboard I've ever used was a TVSE keyboard that came with my 386 PC AT way back in 1995. It had a large (L-shaped enter key) that I love and it came without the crappy windows key(that no one uses anyway) i.e. there was a proper gap between the Ctrl and Alt keys. This was VERY VERY good for gaming. No confusion between keys during an intense gaming session and the mechanical feedback was simply awesome.

I can't tell you of the myriad of different kinds of games (role playing, FPS, 2D, racing, new concept etc.) that I've played and finished all thanks to this amazing keyboard. Had I known how crappy today's mass produced keyboards would turn out, I'd have held on to it back then.

While is was very good for typing and gaming it was a bit hard for professional (8 hours) usage. I'd used a mechanical soft press keyboard that had a much more lighter and pleasant but mechanical response at my 1st company in Bombay. It was just pure typing heaven. Sadly, I don't remember the keyboard make or model.

I'm a touch typist and have been using the Adesso AKB-440UB (got it from the US). I'm pretty happy with it so far. The trackpad on it is handy too.

Back