What`s so great about Linux (for audio/video production)?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
The title says it all.
Windows/OS X gets bashed by everyone (including me) for security flaws, occasional app crash, minor hiccups. You post about those in tech forums, at least one reply would be "learn Linux". But what`s the point of a modern operating system, if you need to learn it to record a stereo audio file?
I asked this questions to a few audio engineers and professionals associated with movie/ music production. Their answers were simple, nobody who earns a living with production uses Linux. It is for students who have time to waste or IT professionals. However there are youtubers who claim they have made entire records on Linux ( and honestly some are really good) but I have never met one in real life.
Asking this because we spend thousands of dollars on software for Mac/PCs. Are we somehow mentally challenged ( to use Linux) or just plain lazy ( I could not record a single midi note in Ardour in 3 days)

If you got time to experiment try Linux and keep exploring deep diving. If time is an issue Windows is here. No RnD , direct ready solutions...

Lol. As a linux user (Xubuntu), I say, use what feels best to you. There are distros made for audio video production like Ubuntu Studio. Plus I think Pixar studio uses Linux instead of windows from years. Blender is a widely known 3D animation software which some companies use. And for video production, there is Da Vinci Resolve.

There are hardly any Adobe or Sony software on linux though. Lot of people using Mac and windows use Adobe/ Sony / Nuendo etc for production. They learnt on those software and those platforms. Having to unlearn all the short cut keys they were used to and having to learn a new type of software will make people hate linux. Because on linux, everything works differently. Software and short cut keys are all different. Software developers on linux make it fit their uses. It's not made for the general public. That's why the UI etc is not polished like in commercial software.

So long as companies don't make software for linux, this will be the case.

Yes, I tried Ubuntu studio. It had almost all the necessary programs preinstalled.
I must been an idiot to mess up with the JACK thing, the audio interface got recognised automatically, but couldn't get the midi keyboard to work with Ardour/ Reaper.
Wish I could understand it...would have saved a lot of money.
Yes, the shortcuts are absolutely essential for working quickly, I remember almost every shortcut of PT/ Logic, thankfully in Studio One I can use 99 percent of those shortcuts ( had a hard time switching from Mac, but honestly Windows shortcuts make more sense now)

Back