What to do at Kolkata ??

W@rrier

Adept
Hey fellas!!

I was having a well earned month of vacation at cochin till last week ,and thats when my dad got transferred :| to Kolkata

So now i am here and have nothing to do at home, dont even have my pc , no Broadband,and its hot!
In short, "Bored"

I have around 10-12 days in my hands and a big kolkata , telll me what all interesting things and places i can visit, please skip the well known historical places i am already done with them!

I am a foodie, so good restaurant suggestions will be high up in my book :p

TIA :)

@aquaticbullet In fact, I was having a roll while creating the thread :D

Rolls are dirt cheap over here :O and very tasty :)!!! Any suggestions for famous roll shops :|
paarkhi I assume Science museum is the same thing that is called as science city? I hear they have timings and all! any ideas on it?

Yes. Do try out the rolls. They are just too good.
And do try out misthi dahi,sandesh and the mouth drooling singhada.

IMO, you would get the best street food at best price in kolkata.

Enjoy you stay.

No Singara in its truest sense is a true blu Bengali version of samosa with stuffing of potato and roasted Peanuts and Cauliflowers
U can have Sweets, bengali sweets like jolbhora (hardened Ball of Date nectar and Cottage Cheese with Sweet juice inside) and rasogolla (balls of Cottage cheese dipped in Sugar syrup) are world famous and great examples of food engineering
Shops to check out are K.C das,Gangurams,Sen Mahashay
have Mughlai Parota (Bong of Parantha) at Anadir Cabin in dharmtalla (Justdial them)
have a tram ride
if u r a Book lover check out college Street, called Boipara (the Neighborhood of books),excellent repository of used books
Have a traditional Bengali Spread at either aheli/bhojohori Manna/6, ballygunj place (again,just justdial them)
for the greatest biryani ever, goto ar-salan
for Superb Mughlai Dishes goto Aminia/Nizam/Siraj/,Beduin
if u like dramas u Can go to Nandan and Academy of Fine arts and rabindra sadan,G.D birla Sabhaghar,Kalamandir (Justdial them)
check out Science city,museum and then goto chandni chowk,the official geek Corner of kolkata
hookup with a Bong Chick,they are just too good (Tips - Bengali girls adore Non-bengalis who speak a little broken bengali :))

Singara is samosa.
Also, try the rasogolla from KC dass
Biriyani (kolkata style) from Shiraz. Other Mughlai dishes to try is chanp from Royal at Chitpore and parantha.
Try the famous chello kebab at Peter Cat at Park street.
Phuchka (gol-gappa/panipuri) near Victoria or Exide crossing. They are quite different in taste from what you eat in Delhi /Mumbai.
As told various Sandesh (sweet made from chana/paneer) from reputed shops like Nakur/Bhim chandra Nag etc. There are so many varieties that you will need several days to savour all of them.
Beef rolls from Nizam. Mutton, chicken rolls from Arsalan/Zeeshan.
You can try complete bengali food at Bhojohari manna or Aheli at Peerless Inn.
Famous kasha mangsho and parantha at Golbari near Shyambazar.

The list is endless.

See this thread also
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) - Team-BHP

Didnt know that Singhada is samosa.
Btw, Singhada is a breed of fish and it is quite popular in delhi n punjab. So, i thought that singhada as referred by "rad0" might be fish as fish is very popular in bengali cuisine.
Thanks for clearing the doubt. :)

Btw, Singhada is a breed of fish and it is quite popular in delhi n punjab. So, i thought that singhada as referred by "rad0" might be fish as fish is very popular in bengali cuisine.
Thanks for clearing the doubt. :)
The fish you referred is triangular in shape. May be originated from the triangular shape of Samosa aka singara.

Eat till you can't buddy !! You can try 30 places to eat in those 10-12 days :p And yeah, food is damn cheap than the other metros in India. :)

Eating aside, there is the National Museum between Esplanade-Park Street, can take more than a whole day depending on your interest. One whole day for Science City. Too bad there's no big festival in the next few days.

Let us know your areas of interests to get more suggestions.

Thank you everyone, ! Now i know where to go :D
Armed with google maps, i cant get lost :D

Will be going to Chandni chowk today! anything nearby which i should look out for ?
GuruGulabKhatri i I have heard of peter cat, how expensive is the place for one person?

By the way i have heard Kolkata having a China Town, What do we get there ? :D

And where to go for clothes? Any place where you get extremely good imitation or factory second stuff like at Bangalore?

You can come to Esplanade / Lindsay Street for apparel shopping. Its about a km or two, I used to walk from Chandni chowk.

You get food and booze at China town, at cheaper prices I heard.

Things to do in Kolkata :

1. Eat
2. Eat
3. Pudinhara
4. Eat some more :D

Try out these places if you haven't already

- Arsalan (Park Circus)
- Jeeshan (try the rolls, one of the best in the city, tikia roll highly recommended) (Park Circus)
- Aminia (Esplanade)
- Hot Kati Rolls (Park Street)
- Bedouin (Gariahat)
- Peter Cat (Park Street)
- Sigri (near Science City)

and the multitude of roadside eateries. Especially good are the phuchkas (panipuri), momos, cutlets, fish fries and moghlai parathas.

If you are into Chinese, I would suggest visit Chinatown, or Tangra as otherwise known. It is between Science City and Park Circus, just ask somebody. This is the area of famous Chinese eateries, serving authentic Chinese food. Visit anyone, they are all good.

Go to Maidan for a lazy afternoon stroll. You can catch a ride in horse drawn carriages if you want, not very costly. If you have a date, go to Millenium Park, it is right on the banks of the Ganga river, nice place.

Back