what to learn next ????

hi ,
i m a final year btech student . my major is IT.......just wanted suggestions from everybody on which programming language to study , to do my final sem project , also which would help me when trying for jobs in the IT field !!!!

i have inquire with many to find that php , .net etc are the ones most companies ask for ,,,,,,, please suggest !!!! :) thanx in advance !

Well if your objective is just to get a job, you are already quite qualified. I have always maintained that Engineering is the most important of all. If you have done your degree well and know the basics that were taught, you will have no trouble landing a job. Most companies look at problem solving ability when recruiting a freasher and engineering teaches that.

For your project it really depends on what you want to do. If you are interested in some kind of web development then PHP or J2EE with MVC will suffice.

PHP, .NET , Java .. in current times u must have sound knowledge of web apps .. If u have the basics covered then learn stuff like Flex, Web Services. Web 2.0 is where you shud aim for, and SOA is another thing you shud cover up. If u plan to stick to Java, then Struts, Spring, Hibernate, EJB shud be the covered.

Also, if you are aiming for any service based company, dont bother mastering anything, learn the basics of everything, then when u get into a project, learn the technology required for it.

if you really want to impress your employer then learn assembly and do reverse engineering on there projects and tell them how then can be better made .

Alright, if you are into J2EE, then Struts 2.x, JSP/Servlets, EJB 3.x should be the stuff you should concentrate on. If you feel adventurous, then check out Web Services using JAX-WS too!

The final M.Tech / MS / MBA Degree will be awarded by IGNOU. Though the Degree will be issued by IGNOU, it is not a distance learning / open degree. This is a regular full-time face-to-face degree program and hence is the same as any other Master's degree from a central university.

As above posts already suggest that you should learn Java/.Net, I would like to point out that if possible also learn C++. It will help in learning OOPS concepts used in other languages like Java/C#. Also there is still a market for C++ person ! Me doing the same. I am still coding 80% of code in C++. Rest in C#.

Start with .Net (Win forms/ ASP.Net)

If you are comfortable with C/C++ train yourself in C#, else Vb.net.

As far as jobs are concerned you either have to go with .Net or Java..Then continue from there to WCF, Silverlight etc..as add ons.

Also make sure you are well versed with SQL queries and stuff.

Back