Car & Bike What to Listen (non Music) in a Car (self driving) on a long trip?

raksrules

Elite
This month end I am visiting a relative who is like 600 Miles away and I will be driving both ways. This is the first time I am going to ride such a vast distance. Both ways it is 1200 miles. Time to reach as per google maps is 9 Hours or so approx. Now for such a long car journey, I am going to definitely stream music on my phone using data connection but what else a part from music can I download or stream (from any specific app) ?

I wouldn't have bothered much if my wife would see some movie in iPad or so but she cannot see videos / read books when traveling or when a vehicle is in motion so we are out of luck on that.

Any suggestions of non music stuff which we can listen to during the trip ?

Edit: I am totally NOT into english music of any kind or any english stand ups, only hindi for me sorry.

Last edited:
you could audio version of a stand up special of comic that you like. With kids in the car, you would probably need to restrict yourself to a 'clean' comic like jerry seinfeld.

Audio books will make you drowsy. They are mostly monotonous. My advise would be to skip those. The only option seems to be audio versions of stand up comedy, as suggested above, or tons of music.

Heavy metal - it keeps one awake. The biggest issue on US highways is boredom and drowsiness is a result. I have seen folks crash on I-5 right in front of me as they fell asleep at the wheel.

Heavy metal - it keeps one awake. The biggest issue on US highways is boredom and drowsiness is a result. I have seen folks crash on I-5 right in front of me as they fell asleep at the wheel.

I have sometimes felt exhausted on road trips but usually manage to stay awake and more importantly aware. I am trying to break journey rather than doing long rides at a go. On my first day of trip I have to be 5.5 Hours away to a hotel (will be leaving work early) and next day first there is a 2.5 Hours journey then a 50 Minute and then a 2 hour. With couple of hours break (as have to visit places / see things). On my return journey, there is absolutely no planned stop and since journey time is itself 9 Hours, I have to make sure I leave early (like 7) so I can have some time to stretch in between or have multiple (2-3) stops as per my liking for food / restroom breaks etc. Also the kid will be cranky sitting so much time in car without much to do. Hence will make sure I take a stop when he is awake.

Last edited:
Audio books will make you drowsy. They are mostly monotonous. My advise would be to skip those. The only option seems to be audio versions of stand up comedy, as suggested above, or tons of music.

For me, music is through the app called "Tambura" which I use to stream various radio stations. I do not have any music in my phone and always listed to streamed music. I know it is the not the best bet when traveling as network connectivity between cities can sometimes be sporadic but usually in my experience, I always get LTE everywhere and worst case is 3G. Also I have SIM cards of totally different networks (AT&T and Sprint) so if one does not work, other will probably.

Is there any place where I can download Audio versions for Hindi stand up comedy ? Or may be checking youtube and downloading only audio is also an option I did not yet consider. Any suggestions for Hindi ones?

Last edited:
Ted Talks on interesting topics of your choice... (Only Audio)
Raju Srivatsav, Johny Lever & other new breed of Stand up comedian Shows both National & International... (Only Audio)

Best would be to listen to comedy shows in audio as all have suggested. Don't go for audio books at all. You can download podcasts like Earwolf podcasts.
If you're into science then there are cool podcasts.
If you are in to politics you download lots of debate shows which news channels often have like news hour by Arnab or other hindi debates.
You can download debates on interesting topics and they won't bore you while listening.

Otherwise FM is always your friend in a car.

Offtopic: How could you cover a distance of 600 odd miles in 9 or so hours. It's about 100+ Km/h average speed of travel.

100 kmph = 62.1371 mph

which is still less than the average speed limit of the US highways/interstates

Oh he's in USA, I didn't knew that. But still speed limits are peak speeds allowed and not average speed limits.
Anyways that's not a topic of discussion.
Have safe ride!

Last edited:
I mostly stick to Instrumentals as constant blabbering tend to induce headaches. That and a few cans of Redbull sees me through the day.

Make sure the volume levels are only high enough for you to listen and not a single bit more. Higher the noise lvls, higher are your chances of hating it and eventually feeling tired of what you are playing.

Back