What to take and get from Dubai?

boogeyman

Adept
Hi Guys,

I'm about to embark on a trip to Dubai. Its just a small 1 week leisure tour. All stay's, attraction entry fees and commutes have been booked. I was wondering what I should take there and more importantly what to get from there. Few of my requirements below:

To take:
- I have some forex in USD (about 1k leftover from one of my previous trips) and I've heard that AED and USD are interchangeable at a fixed rate without any fluctuations. so I'm thinking I'll just take the USD and change there if the need arises. Thoughts?
- Clothes? Jeans, shorts, Tshirts and shirts. Anything else?
- Booze? Can I buy some cheap from duty free while going there for the weeks consumption? How much is allowed?

To Get
- Gadgets? Anything useful to get from there? Don't really need anything as such
- Gold/Jewellery: I'm just planning for a watch and maybe a chain. I've heard its quite cheap there. Is it really?
- Booze while coming back: 2 ltrs is allowed from duty free right?
Anything else worthwhile to buy?

Hi Guys,

I'm about to embark on a trip to Dubai. Its just a small 1 week leisure tour. All stay's, attraction entry fees and commutes have been booked. I was wondering what I should take there and more importantly what to get from there. Few of my requirements below:

To take:
- I have some forex in USD (about 1k leftover from one of my previous trips) and I've heard that AED and USD are interchangeable at a fixed rate without any fluctuations. so I'm thinking I'll just take the USD and change there if the need arises. Thoughts? Agreed. Any other way and you will lose money in conversion fees.
- Clothes? Jeans, shorts, Tshirts and shirts. Anything else? Sunglasses are a must.
- Booze? Can I buy some cheap from duty free while going there for the weeks consumption? How much is allowed? Buy from Dubai Duty Free and always keep the receipt with you. Don't drink in public places/malls/transport. Dubai Police are very strict about their laws.

To Get
- Gadgets? Anything useful to get from there? Don't really need anything as such Everything is expensive. You can find good deals in India.
- Gold/Jewellery: I'm just planning for a watch and maybe a chain. I've heard its quite cheap there. Is it really? Gold is slightly cheaper than here, but watches are probably more expensive. My wife liked a Guess watch which was priced at AED 820 after discount. I found it for INR 11450 here.
- Booze while coming back: 2 ltrs is allowed from duty free right? Yes, or for convenience sake 2 units.
Anything else worthwhile to buy? Clothes. You will find good clothing brands there that you will not find in India, so that is something you might want to check out. Try out the amazing food there, Dubai is a gastronomic utopia.

Replies in bold

The US$ to AED is fixed at 3.65 (give or take a few paise equivalents). Best place IMHO to exchange money is at the Forex exchange at malls etc, I forget the name I think it's called UAEExchange. They charge you a nominal fee of 2 AED per transaction.

You can carry 4 litres of Alcohol in to Dubai. Keep your Duty Free receipt. It's marginally cheaper to buy booze from Indian duty frees. Keep it in your hotel and you shouldn't have any problems as such.

For perfumes/colognes go to Old Town. You get testers at throw away prices.

Back