Whatapp rolling out the Blue Sign of Death

As I said earlier only pussies would be terrified of this prospect.

Maybe you should stop being small minded and try to think outside your own small world and use cases. A lot of people also use whatsapp in professional lives. What happens when a client messages you at 11:00 PM, and then is annoyed because you couldn't/didn't want to reply immediately. What if you run a store and your customer starts pestering you about a reply.

Not all of us can afford to navigate through our interactions by behaving like an internet anarchist who doesn't pickup and understand (or deliberately ignore) underlying social signals.

Maybe you should stop being small minded and try to think outside your own small world and use cases. A lot of people also use whatsapp in professional lives. What happens when a client messages you at 11:00 PM, and then is annoyed because you couldn't/didn't want to reply immediately. What if you run a store and your customer starts pestering you about a reply.

Not all of us can afford to navigate through our interactions by behaving like an internet anarchist who doesn't pickup and understand (or deliberately ignore) underlying social signals.

Does the blue check really matter? Your "last seen" gives you away anyways.
if the last seen is after your your message and there is no reply, the asshole is ignoring you.

If you decide to not respond upon seeing the message you need to have balls to convey the same to the sender.
You may have genuine reason for not being able to respond - for which the sender will understand your point.

Or you simply did not wish to respond - which appears to be your primary use case.
It is people like you who want to appear all goody goody to the outside world but basically given an opportunity (which Whatsapp is now stealing away), you would actually act very crooked. And hence, I now understand your pain.

You have a valid point about client messaging for a meeting - but I wonder why you wouldn't respond immediately (or within reasonable time) unless you again wish to act crooked!!!

If you decide to not respond upon seeing the message you need to have balls to convey the same to the sender.
You may have genuine reason for not being able to respond - for which the sender will understand your point.

Or you simply did not wish to respond - which appears to be your primary use case.
It is people like you who want to appear all goody goody to the outside world but basically given an opportunity (which Whatsapp is now stealing away), you would actually act very crooked. And hence, I now understand your pain.

You have a valid point about client messaging for a meeting - but I wonder why you wouldn't respond immediately (or within reasonable time) unless you again wish to act crooked!!!

Because this is real life. It is called maintain social interactions. Appearing "goody goody" is part of it, yes. If an acquaintance messages me that he/she wants to catch up for a drink, and I won't have an answer for them till after work, I don't want to take the the couple of minutes to type a message to say "I'll get back to you later". If I started doing that, I would be on facebook/whatsapp all day at work.

You also seem hung up on "not replying to messages". We are talking about replying at a different time, not ignoring messages. There is a level of asynchronicity assumed in communication methods like SMS, whatsapp, email, etc.

And no, I don't want to bloody respond to a work message after work hours. I also don't want that lack of reply to harm my professional interactions with anyone.

I really hope your frankness (read derogatory words) don't constitute your "non crooked"/"non goody goody" way of interacting with your social and professional circle.

So much anger, angst and judgement. Genuine question. Are you 14-15?

Cause this isnt how real life works for grown ups. :)

^^ i think he is just being straightforward. for some people, nonchalant acts like knowingly ignoring messages etc leads to stressful life. you need to unnecessarily remember a lot of things (lies), like what excuse you conveyed to whom. sometimes, you need to maintain such false stories for a very long period. and it strains the relationship if the other person finds out the truth.

most of the IT companies have their own implementation of interoffice communication. office communicator/messenger syncs with Calendar and updates the status accordingly (in a meeting, away from desk, on vacation etc). it keeps things simple and straightforward. increases productivity. this is how it works for grown-up professionals.

world is moving very fast and no one has much patience these days. waiting at traffic lights to waiting for a response from Snapdeal, everyone expects a quick action. it's getting very difficult to meet everyone's expectations (parents, teachers, clients etc). for some people it becomes necessary to resort to such tactics (ignoring messages etc). these people are good at sugar-coating things and can easily handle the situation at a later time. there's nothing wrong in behaving like ssslayer or whatsinaname. they both have their own priorities and they know how to handle their known ones.

i like being straightforward. less headaches and keeps my brain focussed on important things. i couldn't keep up with my friends/colleagues' requests for updates on sites like facebook, orkut etc, so i got rid of the accounts. i didn't want them to ignore me, so i stopped ignoring them on social networking sites.

it projects a poor picture if someone of repute ignores messages/tweets etc. so many service providers (snapdeal, airtel etc) advertise that they are approachable thru various channels but they stand to lose customers' loyalty when they don't respond within a stipulated timeframe. it took me a lot of time to draw a line between work and home life but when it happened, i got my sanity back. now, i get a call after work hours only if it's really important. and i make sure that i attend it. similarly, my friends understand that when i tell them that i am busy, then i am really busy and not ignoring them. keeps relationships simple... but not always. sometimes, i have to resort to what whatsinaname says.

Thats not what I meant. You can fall on either side of the discussion. It doesnt matter. How you chose to deal with things is how YOU chose to deal with things. And thats fine.

The instant dismissal of anyone who doesnt share his view point as pussies is a childish thing to do. As is applying your way of doing things to others. The whole idea of "not a big deal to me so it shouldnt be a big deal to anyone" is an immature outlook on things. People have different priorities, anyone who isnt a teenager understands that.

So much anger, angst and judgement. Genuine question. Are you 14-15?

Cause this isnt how real life works for grown ups. :)

I simply said that someone may be unhappy now that his lies cannot remain lies ("oh! I didn't see your message") and therefore I now understand his plight.
For others that have genuine reason (which means genuinely not seen the message or seen the message but it doesn't warrant a response) and they don't have to worry.

Last I knew, labeling someone as a pussy because he is afraid of consequences of his action (especially with opposite sex) was quite accepted and both (the person labeling and the person being labeled) still remain adults.
We are talking about replying at a different time, not ignoring messages. There is a level of asynchronicity assumed in communication methods like SMS, whatsapp, email, etc.
Absolutely.
If you see all the time I am maintaining the same thing. If one wants synchronous communication with acknowledgements one has to use direct talk.
In case of text - like letter, email, message - it is understood that the other person will respond once he gets time to respond.

All I said was that a message comes to a person. He read it. But shows as if he didn't. Perhaps even conveys to the sender that he didn't.
Such a person will feel the pinch now. And such a person is actually lying. Perhaps he is a habitual compulsive liar - but most people are not.
This has nothing to do with social cues and 'samaj mein rehna hai' concern.

Last edited:
nexus2cee_whatsapp-read-receipts-351x625.png

Version 2.11.44 (which is only available on WhatsApp's site for now) has a new menu under Settings, Privacy. A checkmark for Read Receipts lets you enable the option or turn it off. In that case, WhatsApp will no longer show other people when you read their messages, but it will also stop you from seeing the blue checkmarks for all of your conversations. That's WhatsApp's way of keeping things fair, like it did with the Last Seen status — you can't lurk in the dark and snoop on other people. Groups chats won't be affected, other participants will always know when you read a message.

Back