What's Special about Gmail?

Avtar

Adept
Well, on one of the various forums I visit, someone asked this question and I wrote a detailed answer, so I thought I'd post it here.

Nah it's more than that. Okay, firstly we need to thank Gmail. Had this free service not come around, then the other e-mail providers, like Yahoo and Hotmail would never have gotten past thir 2-6MB storage limits. Secondly, due to Gmail being so famous, there are loads of webistes that now even offer 2 GB of e-mail space, and oh, in case you don't know, a smart fellow gives out 1024 GB of e-mail space as well. Haha.

Anyway, Gmail, what's so special. Okay, firstly, it's that it's from Google, one of the big names on the internet, so it gains popularity in an instant as it comes under the Google family tag. Secondly, it basically functions as a JS applet. A 250 KB sized applet is downloaded to your system, and it pretty much contains all the mail you need to view or whatever, so after that 250KB has loaded, you can view your e-mails like you're viewing them in Thunderbird or Outlook.

It's very customizable, and it's one of the few e-mail providers that allows POP mail access. What does that mean? That means that without using a retarded or illegal plug-in or software, you can set up your Gmail account to download the mail directly to your e-mail client like Outlook, Incredimail, ThunderBird etc.

It's a revolution, and you have to be a part of it.

Gmail rocks! But there are several security vulnerabilities in Gmail which have been & will be uncovered very soon..

Wel.. We guys can create our own login to Gmail.. for example, see from ur GPRS mobile: www.nodrm.com/gmail ..... u cant do that for Y! or Hotmail.. Now thats really a weak point..!

SmoothCriminal said:
Gmail rocks! But there are several security vulnerabilities in Gmail which have been & will be uncovered very soon..

Wel.. We guys can create our own login to Gmail.. for example, see from ur GPRS mobile: www.nodrm.com/gmail ..... u cant do that for Y! or Hotmail.. Now thats really a weak point..!
can you explain it further? i don't get you!

@lotus: well.. one of the main methods used by a hacker (to hack web-based emails) is social engineering.. and "fake-login" screen comes very handy for this..

Well.. Try emulating a Yahoo login screen using HTML, and give proper values for the field names /methods.. you wont be able to login.. But several APIs have been created by individuals Gmail (bcoz its on J2EE platform) that allow developers to create custom login screens..

Last edited by a moderator:
i like its new features
- labels
- grouping of "conversations"
- faster
-starring(the yellow star)
-downloading all attachments in one go
the lows:
- no graphics format for writing mails
- same in siggies too
-exe files cant be attached even if zipped!

only these i can remember

Yo,
to attach exe files,
rename file to some other extension like .xyz or something.
and then send,
after downloading,
rename back to .exe
and it works fine......
8)

Back