whats the future for IT ?

thenvk

Adept
Hi All,

Its a burning topic out there in the country now.... Most of the IT companies are planning to lay off their employees or looking for some cost cutting options..
No hikes :mad: , no variable pays.. even some times decrease in current salary... :mad: :mad:

Just post some opinions/facts and other options for us other than IT.
Please post about layoffs only if you know that they are 100% true..

I work for an MNC and as of now no problems what so ever till a year...

My cousin works for Megasoft (Hyderabad) and they have given the pink slips to around 300+ employees...

I wonder/afraid where does this go.... :huh:

If you think IT is in mess, you should check out the finance sector... Its a massacre with almost all firms cutting staff by 30% or so....

my company laid off many people. infact we are vacating the office in hitech city to move to banjarahills (hyd) the strength is like almost half. If a guy is able to weather this storm for 9-12 more months. he would be lucky. most of the guys are shitting their pants now :(

thenvk said:
Please post about layoffs only if you know that they are 100% true..

Seconded. i'm getting tired of the fake information being spread. If anyone's got solid info, please post.

some it cos are having a good run. a lot of american companies are firing their own staff and outsourcing to us

I feel sorry for them, both the fired people, and the companies who are going to outsource their core IT operations :p

I'm looking for guys in .NET and PHP at ahmedabad. Even if someone willing to relocate let me know.

May be 3 - 4 months down the line it will get bad, but as of now nothing looks bad. But campus placements may not be as good this season.

If you are good and not the dimwits that come out of most private institutes, your chances of getting a job in IT are as bright as they would have been in past.

I am not IT guy but I am fascinated by this industry. It forms backbone of everything that we humans do. But I also know that it has lots of folks with brains the size of ants who landed jobs just because most of the work involves copying codes or because there was a huge mismatch in demand and supply.

bracing for flames

morgoth said:
If you are good and not the dimwits that come out of most private institutes, your chances of getting a job in IT are as bright as they would have been in past.

I am not IT guy but I am fascinated by this industry. It forms backbone of everything that we humans do. But I also know that it has lots of folks with brains the size of ants who landed jobs just because most of the work involves copying codes or because there was a huge mismatch in demand and supply.

bracing for flames

i somehow agree partially to wat u said out there......

morgoth said:

bracing for flames

Oh noes Sir, you don't have to brace for flames. Knowing our current education system, I doubt there will be any :ashamed:

As a part of industrial visit and interaction, we had a vist to one of the medium size IT companies, employs about 600 people.We interacted with HR, management, adn finance and accounts, The gist we got was that

1) Layoffs are the last option. They said, there are many many more cost cutting options that can be undertaken..

2) The Camus placements and all are definitely on a hold, but if the chap is a promising talent, no problem in employing him.

3) Companies that operate in a niche,(this one was into some software for aeronauticals & aeroplanes, school management and insurance, and some others that

I forgot) such companies have nothing to worry, but companies that operate in the general space like softwares for banks etc are badly hit cause major takers are from US..

4) The STPI(software technology park of india) scheme will likely be extended so the hit on profit wont be much(if there is any profit)12% instead of 30%.

5) A lot depends how the situation is managed, correct decisions can sail you and your employees through without much problem:)

Frankly, they weren't as tensed about it as you guys, but then their jobs weren't at stake. And i agree with morgoth, if you got it in you, there are always people who want to get their work done and are wiling to pay handsomely for good work..

Lastly, its quiet the opposite at lower levels, damn hard to get good clerks and assistants:p

I have been recruiting laterals as well as fresh IT kids for the past 4 years...

All I know is that for the same inflation adjusted package, we have been getting progressively worse people each year...Perhaps a correction was long overdue ... Idiots who didn't know Jack$hit could get a respectable package if they knew how to spell .NET or C# till so far

superczar said:
I have been recruiting laterals as well as fresh IT kids for the past 4 years...
All I know is that for the same inflation adjusted package, we have been getting progressively worse people each year...Perhaps a correction was long overdue ... Idiots who didn't know Jack$hit could get a respectable package if they knew how to spell .NET or C# till so far

I actually know 2 such people in infosys and another company:lol:

superczar said:

I can spell .NET in 5 languages @_@, take me please @_@.

I know a lot of guys with fake 3+ exp who went in to MNCs.

I really wonder how does these guys will survive in this situation... both into jobs already and the ones planing to enter the IT.

also i guess it takes minimum a year to get the things settled well.......

I was talking to a HR manager from one of the "top" IT companies in India. All he said was that the industry will slow down, take stock of the current situation, and will recover. The lay-offs are generally due to over hiring, and in companies where the future road map isn't well planned, or looks bleak.

He also added that campus recruitment will come down marginally next year as companies will start looking for students who actually know something which they can use. No more hiring those who just rely on bookish knowledge, no matter which branch of engineering they are from. Also, companies may change their interview pattern and move away from asking routine questions, and concentrate on testing the overall attitude and practical knowledge of the students.

If all this does happen, then students may actually start gaining some knowledge outside their books, and which will help them in their IT careers

morgoth said:

bracing for flames

There was a time when i would've wholeheartedly agreed with you :)

But after 4 years of college it became painfully obvious that there is absolutely no substitute for hardwork :ashamed: and if your luck pays off

Back