Android Whatsapp crash during installation

My friend has an Intex Aqua Power smartphone, running Android 4.2.2. He was using the phone till now with his own Whatsapp account on it, with his sim, without any problems. A few days ago, he purchased a new phone and switched to it (he was the one who bought the Asus Zenphone). He installed Whatsapp on the new phone, and it's working fine on it.

He wanted to give the old phone, Intex Aqua Power, to his wife. So, I performed a factory reset on the phone. However, after the factory reset, Whatsapp is unable to install on the phone. I have tried several times, and several things, but Whatsapp crashes exactly at same stage of installation, where it asks for the name, and profile picture.

I install Whatsapp from the Google Play Store, and it installs fine. I open the Whatsapp app, and verify the number by SMS, which is successful every time. Due to repeated installation, sometimes SMS is put on hold, and then I have to opt for verification through call, which works fine too. After the verification, it shows a screen where you can change the name and profile pic. If I change name, or even if I don't, and just hit the Next button, Whatsapp crashes with the message: "Unfortunately, Whatsapp has stopped working". It happens every time at the same screen. If I tap the emoji button, besides the name box, then also Whatsapp crashes.

When I open Whatsapp again, it opens at the same screen, and just crashes whenever I hit Next. I am not able to get past that stage. I have tried a lot of things.. I have performed factory reset a number of times... changed name to a single letter, or to a different name... but it doesn't work.

There was a pre-installed app on the phone named "Battery Doctor". When I installed Whatsapp and opened it, it did warn about the task killer app (Battery Doctor). However, I had already disabled the app from the settings, and so the app wasn't running. So, that shouldn't have any effect. I didn't understand why Whatsapp would warn about an app which I have disabled, and wasn't running on the phone.

After several tries, I even rooted the phone, and uninstalled Battery Doctor, and then again tried to install Whatsapp on it, in the hope that maybe Battery Doctor was causing the issue somehow... but even after its removal, Whatsapp still crashes at the same stage of installation.

I don't know what to do now. Before factory reset, Whatsapp was working really well on the phone without any issue. I don't know why after the factory reset, Whatsapp is having this issue.

I even wrote to Whatsapp official email for their support, but its been days now, and I haven't heard back from them, and now I doubt I will.

Any solution on how to install, or what to do to avoid the Whatsapp crash will be really appreciated, because I am out of any ideas now. I have tried whatever I could. I am really perplexed as to why this is happening. Would appreciate any help, or ideas.

Could it be a version thing. The version installed was older and hence compatible with 4.2.2. The one you installed after reset is a newer one that is incompatible.

It is not unusual for software vendors to stop testing on older OS versions.[DOUBLEPOST=1540650890][/DOUBLEPOST]I just did an search on "older whatsapp apk" and this link turned up

https://whatsapp-messenger.en.uptodown.com/android/old

Try an older version and see if it works.

I had checked the version thing up first hand. It's Android 4.2.2, so as per Whatsapp own website, Whatsapp should work with this version of Android. And even before reset, Whatsapp was always kept up to date, by updating from the Play Store.

But yes, installing an older version can be tried. I will try it next time, when I get my hand on the phone.

Back